XP not Booting. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoox

Hi all

I am in real need of help. I am not very tech-savvy, but I will try my best to explain the problem.

Last evening, I was using the FTP client CoreFTP to upload a few files to my web server when I got a blue screen with some text on it. It kept showing the same thing, till i restarted the desktop.

Now, when it restarted, the computer showed a dialog box saying 'RPC service terminated unexpectedly and so windows must restart'.

At this point, I switched off my desktop.

Now, since morning, when I switch on my desktop, I find my computer not starting up at all. These are some things I have noticed:

- The fan on my cabinet is running. So, I think the power connection is fine.
- I was able to insert my XP CD on my drive. But I see that the computer tries to read the CD, but then stops..then it tries again and stops again and so on..( I infer this with the zoooom sound that is usually associated with the CD drive)

All along, the computer does nothing else. I am not even able to reach the BIOS or do anything. How do I fix this. Please help.

Definately sounds hardware, probably power supply.

Just one quick option:

Pull out the power cord
Hold the on button in for 30 secs (dispersing all internal voltage)
Let go of the on button
Put the power cord back in (securely)
Try turning back on
Did it work?

Hi Kimsland

Thanks for your post. I tried it but doesn't seem to be working. I would like to clarify one thing though : Are you sure it is a hardware problem, considering that it started with the 'RPC Service terminated' problem.

The power on self test, has nothing to do with Windows services anything.
The RPC Service is critical to be running, but only in Windows.

As you cannot even get to the system bios setup screen, I am concluding that this is hardware.

From here, I'd suggest to remove anything attached to the computer as possible only leaving keyboard and power and screen. Then try turning back on.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to open the case, and look inside. Please don't attempt this, if you hve not done it before.

But if you continue, your system manual may be required for precautions and settings.
Inside the case I would disconnect the cdroms and harddrive, and then turn on again.
Remember we just want post (Power On Self Test) once you have that, you can start replugging things back in. (obviously whilst off)

Thanks Kimsland

I am going to try out the first part of what you have suggested. If it is a hardware problem though, I will have to call the guys for help. Don't think I can manage that myself.

Shall keep you posted. Thanks again...

I tried it out. Did not work the way I wanted it to. Here is what happened.

I had the monitor and keyboard alone plugged in and switched the power cord on. Had a couple of loud beeps(din't have that before). I switched it on but nothing happened.

Then, I switched it off, and did the thing you had suggested in the first post for 30 seconds and switched it on.

This time when I switched it on, the fan and the CD drive turned on and off successively. Then the fourth time, there were a couple of loud beeps and then the fan turned on completely.

If you still think it is something to do with the internal connections, then I think i will have to call my friends at the computer hardware store...

Thanks for your help all the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back