XP Pro shut down icon does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitachick

My problem comp. Latest problem is when I try to shut down the computer restarts. I have to manually push the power off button.

Any ideas how to get it working again?

You might try something simple like Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery, and uncheck Automatic Restart...
Odd, but it is sometimes helpful

Problem comp #2 is very unstable. Finally got it running..When the I press shutdown, I do see a blue screen in the background. Right now if I need to restart I just manually press the shut down key. Was also having problem with windows xp updates. When I received the message to shut down, updates will install..Nope...I have formated the two drives, reinstalled everything, but still there is a problem. The guy that built the comp is long gone, so have no one to ask info..have 3 comps and this one is the only one that is so unstable.

This could mean the PC bios is not correctly obeying ACPI power management instructions. There could be two main reasons for this - first Windows was originally installed without the bios acpi choice being correctly set, and secondly the bios might be out-of-date.

In the first case, there is no option other than reinstall windows. In the second case, you can re-flash with a later bios from the motherboard m/f site. I do not recommend either if you are not a fairy experienced PC person.

As a simple effort to make some difference, you could open the power options in control panel, do whatever you can to disable all power monitoring (i.e. disable hibernation, set all monitor, HDD, system standbye to 'never'. Then reboot. See if the PC now behaves normally as regards shutting down from the start button.

If this affects a cure, then probably acpi is correct, and you could re-enable any power-saving settings you wish. If it makes no difference, the acpi setting/bios problem is the likely reason.

When comp starts it shows SIL3114 SataRaid v 5.1.39.
Model A8N-SLI
bios type-Award
When I go to Asus automatic update keep geting busy . Try again later.

After spending two weeks (yes 2 since I am a nube) it's getting to the point I'll just turn off the d*** computer manually. Just hate when something doesn't work when it worked b4....

Thanks for your help, I'm sure you are correct about the Bios thingy but I just don't have enough computer knowledge to pursue any further...

You may try to restore or update the BIOS but as you as not well aware of it, it is not a good idea as it is very tricky. Do you know someone who is well aware of IT?

Was advised of the same thing. Do not know how and no one to help me..:) As stated in previous message I did try to contact asus.ftp but keep getting busy busy busy try again later...

Well everything started again. Got to the point didn't reconize my hard drives. Had to call tech that built my other machine. Need Motherboard..

Rare tto have a failure like that. What is/was the brand and model of motherboard, so we can learn from you.

Asus- A8N-SLI Deluxe

When I dropped off comp at shop I left all software etc. Just happened to
write it down when I was having all the problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back