XP Prof problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

osudelt69

Okay well I posted in another section about how my Athlon 2000xp was getting hot, I thought this was the cause of the problems I am having with a fresh install of XP Prof but I have fixed the cooling problem. I reformated NTFS then installed, I was getting NT shutdown errors. So I reformated again and installed XP. I entered startup/run/shutdown -a and that has fixed my system shut downs, however its still acting very weird. I was able to install MSN for my internet connection and my modem drivers, however I could not install Norton 2003 Firewall and I wasn't able to logon to msn (hopefully just a ISP problem last night). So I haven't been able to download any Windows Updates. Also my CD-rom is acting very weird, it will read, then it won't read cd's. Any help or guidance you guys could give me would be awesome. The XP Prof is build 2600 if that helps any.

Thanks in advance.

Have you run an udated antivirus program lately? Are you able to access other internet sites besides msn? That could be the cause of your system shut downs

No, I just formatted both HD disks and just installed XP. I can't get on the internet, MSN is my ISP. For more details.

I have:
FIC AN19C motherboard
Athlon 2000XP
256 DDR 2700 Crucial
WD 80GB HD
WD 8GB HD
ATI Radeon SDR 64MB
Creative Labs v.92 modem
Creative Labs PCI 16 sound card
Build in Lan

Try testing your memory www.memtest86.com

You might also want to take everything out of your case and reseat it all, just to make sure you got all the connections properly made.

BTW :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I ran Tuff Test Lite and it said my hardware is good. I bought a new stick of 256MB DDR 333 2700 and swapped it with the old stick. With the new memory in trying to install XP Prof I got these errors during the install process.
First error:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to damage your computer.

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen restart the computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If new install ak your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable Bios memory such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then to select safe mode.

Technical Info:

***STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE1111000, 0X00000001, 0X8085E11B, 0X00000001)"

Okay then I shutdown and removed all my PCI cards rebooted and then I got:

"File \i386\Vgaoem.fon could not be loaded. The error code is 7.
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

****exit reboots the computer*****

On a side not I also tried 98 and got errors. So is this a bad mainboard and or processor? I know the memory is fine b/c I tried a brand new stick. Thanks

The really bizarre errors you're getting sounds like 2 of several problems.. 1- bad ram, and 2- improper bios settings.

I would suggest loading the failsafe settings in your bios. Then I'd go the the memtest86 or memtest86 plus site and get their image to load..small file, run it for 5 full cycles or so.

Tuff test lite, iirc, makes a slight pass at the hardware, but really doesn't get into the ram specifics that the above mentioned programs do.

I was getting similar randomness of errors on my machine for a long time, finally set to failsure defaults, errors went away.

(Edit: I have no clue why I originally put "failsafe drivers" relating to bios..)

Ya Major problems is correct! Sadly those errors came with the old memory and the new memory installed by itself.

Okay well I said screw it and I bought a New motherboard and Athlon 2700XP for 89.99 total from Fry's Electronics. So its going in with the new memory. I'll keep you posted on the results. Still wish I new what the cause was.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I figured out the problem. I am now typing on my upgraded computer. I narrowed it down that it wasn't the memory. I bought a new mother board ECS and AMD Athlon 2700+ XP processor for 89.99. The board is Nvidia2 chipset 400. An amazing deal I got at Fry's Electronics. I added another 512mb pc2700 so now I have 768mb :) Its running great! I figure it was my 2000xp processor that crapped out, over heated and fried!! Thats just my guess. It was running really hot and even with a new upgraded fan I was getting those crazy errors. On a site note this motherboard was cheap!! and appears to have some great features! Build in Lan, 6channel audio, adjustable front side bus for overclocking, etc. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back