XP program installation/stability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there :)

I recently built myself a new computer but have been having a few problems with it since the beginning, it is only a week old so it should be fine. before i go on, here are the system specs:

Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL mobo
Athlon XP 2600+ (tbred) cpu w/333 FSB
200GB Seagate SATA HDD running RAID-0 on promise raid controller
1GB DDR400 ram
Pioneer a09 DVD-rom
Radeon x800 pro

I had to install the promise raid controller drivers before installing windows to get the SATA working, however, i set it to RAID-0 (not having installed a SATA drive before), which i thought would be ok. After installing windows, i updated the Nforce2 drivers onboard before installing anything.

Everything seems to be working fine, although when i try to install PCCILLIN 2005, the program says 'intialising please wait' and wont let u do anything, as well as the system tray icon not appearing.

Also, my dialup modem (standard 56k modem driver) disappears whenever i restart the pc. I have to go to device manager and scan for hardware changes before it appears.

Last but not least, after setting up the internet connection, i tried to do windows update, but before i had even opened IE (i usually use mozilla) i was getting weird pop-up messages saying my registry was corrupted and to download this and this software to fix it (i think one was msregfix or something) - obviously i did not click on any of these dodgy popups.

I am running Windows XP pro with service pack 1a installed. Yes i know i should probably get service pack 2, but my old pc has run fine for years without it, this is only a week old install so it should be fine!!

If anyone can give me some words of wisdom, that would be great!!

cheers all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back