XP reformatting (partitioning) trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my PC is filled to the brim with Viruses and the only logical solution I can see is to reformat my entire C: drive. I couldn't find any of the disks my computer came with for some reason so I went out and bought a new Windows XP SP2 setup disk. The beginning of the whole setup process runs smooth - I insert the disk, setup pops up, I tell it I want the full installation and then it reboots the computer. The blue setup screen pops up next and I choose "Complete setup using NAFTS(?)" The setup then takes me to the part I have trouble with. It asks me to find unpartitioned space to install XP on. I don't have nearly enough space on my E: drive, so the only thing left to do is press D and delete the old virus filled partitioned space of drive C: (Which is what I wanted to do in the first place). But an error message pops up after I press D that goes something like "That drive has temporary setup files which are crucial to this setup" and it won't let me delete the partition. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there another way to format my C: drive and then setup XP once my entire OS is deleted?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this message! I've been searching manuals and the internet for about 12 hours total and have gotten nowhere.

Sincerely,

Do you want any data from the old Windows (pics or anything?)

If No. ie you just want to clean install.

Put the Windows CD in
Start your computer from the CD
Remove all the partitions (press D message to rmove the present partitions)

Make sure to remove them all (one at a time)

Then install Windows, which will make an NTFS partition automatically.

MAKE sure your booting from the cd and not your hard drive, that could possibly be why its giving you that message, because its running off of the hard drive originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back