Xp suddenly rebooting repeatedly - not ACPI compliant? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tintinabou

Went to restart my XP earlier (ISP changed my IP addy and told me it wouldnt take until I rebooted) and it just kept rebooting over and over - even when given the options to restart normally (which i tried), last known settings (which I also tried), safemode (which stalled it and I couldn't do anything except hit the cold-restart button). On the next series of self-imposed restarts I chose safemode with networking (whatever the heck THAT is) and FINALLY it stopped at a blue screen to tell me WHAT the problem was...

....something about my BIOS not being fully ACPI compliant, and to go to harware-update.com to get one (one what??) or call my vendor (which I don't know anything about because my mother gave me the computer just before she passed and I don't know where it came from originally-other than another province).

I know a *bit* about computers but not enough to go messing around with hardware. The closest I come to that is trying to fix viruses with floppies. I did an internet search and am terrified that I now have to do some sort of registry modification or repair or such.

I have not tried doing anything with that computer since - the blue screen is still there. Before I got that message it simply would NOT let me just power off...and I am worried that if it WILL do anything next I will mess it all up more by trying to reboot again etc....AND I am worried that if I cut off the main power I will lose my wireless connection for THIS computer (my only hope of communication to repair the other one) and that with the other computer problem plus the new IP thing both computers will then be messed up.

What can/should I do next - if anyone might know? I think I might need to take it "into the shop" but in the meantime is there a way to disconnect it that it won't affect the wireless thing for the second computer? The one thats messed up is the MAIN computer that the modem is set up on.

I know I probably sound like someone who shouldn't even have a computer. If anyone has any suggestions for ANY of this I am all ears!

Thank you in advance for your attempts to help.

The simple change of IP address would not have caused this so there has to be another reason.
First I would disconnect all external equipment except the power, monitor and mouse. Restart the PC - use the reset or mains switch if necessary.
Access the BIOS and find the ACPI settings - disable the facility. Reboot and reconnect external bits until you find the culprit. I have my concerns about the hard drive.

Just adding to AlbertLionheart

Yes you should have a computer, this is just Microsoft Windows, and also the reason why TechSpot is alive.

In regards to not powering off (stated in your original problem). Here's the first steps I would recommend:

1. Turn off the computer
2. Remove the power cable from the computer
3. Hold the power button in (front of computer) for 30 secs, to disperse all internal voltage
4. Let go of the button !
5. Re connect the power cord (securely)
6. Turn on the computer again
7. Did it work ?

Quick ?? before I try methods to turn it off...

Computer won't shut off!! (??) Not with the power button anyway. :mad: It WILL restart with the restart button (if to serve no other purpose but to restart the rebooting cycle). I'm guessing it's not good to just cut the power to the hard drive via the power cord or surge protector switch? Not sure how else I will be able to turn it off.

Since I CAN restart, how do I interrupt the cycle to access the bios? Is that where the "press f7" thing comes in? The error message says I can do that to disable the ACPI, but I'm not sure *when* in the cycle to do it....some of the bootup screens flash so quickly I can't read them in their entirity to recognize any promptings.

(remember how I said I don't know much more about computers than how to load a virus fix :rolleyes: lol)

Oh cool!! New stuff now!!

The power thing worked. Followed the unplug, hold power, replug and start up advice. Started same old cycle again. Tried again and tried tapping f8 which got me into a screen that actually allowed me to *disable automatic restart on system failure* which was at least somewhat relieving - now it's not cycling.

Now I get a *new* message. (maybe more info?)

registry cannot load the hive (did that actually say HIVE?) \systemroot\system32\config\SAM or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

completed some sort of memory dump and told me to contact my system administrator (sadly, that is probably me - lol!).

umm.....MicrocomputersPlus....here I come...?

Not trying anymore f-anything stuff on my own. I wonder which f button is for self-destruct?

Not Sam !

Well, restart again
F8 into the Menu

Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only
Hit Enter to select your Windows version

At the command prompt, type:

chkdsk c: /r

Then Enter

Allow Check Disk to fully repair any errors

type EXIT

Restart, hopefully to normal mode.

By the way this error, Sam, means it may not start again soon !!

Edit:

You may also try (if the above is unsuccessfull)

Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt
c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe

Mictlantecuhtli said:

I might just be screwed on this one....which alerted me to a whole new brand of anxiety .... my mother gave me the computer when she went into the hospital. Unless the paraphanalia is hidden somewhere under 78 years of stuff in her boxes, I have no knowledge of the whereabouts of the bootdisk!!

Methinks there is a huge computer bill on the horizon. :(

It's always new stuff - this is how we fix things. One bit at a time!
I think you are probably right to take this to the shop - I'd lay money on hard drive failure.

This forum will help you for nothing - one or other of us will come up with an idea or solution to fix it - eventually! If however you have money to burn, your best bet might be a whole new PC! There used to be a great PC shop on Fort in Victoria but I guess that may be too far for you.....

kimsland said:
Not Sam !

Well, restart again
F8 into the Menu

Select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only
Hit Enter to select your Windows version

At the command prompt, type:

chkdsk c: /r

Then Enter

Well, got to the hit enter to select your windows version. Got a huge list of stuff scrolling down the screen, and then rebooted (sigh) and never got an actual command prompt to do anything with.

round and round it goes - where it stops nobody knows.

okay doc... how bad is *sam*? I can take it....:(

Funny how this stuff always happens to me just after I get a second computer. The point was to have one to myself and one for the family - I guess the blessing in disguise is that at least I still HAVE a computer while the other is down.... Really, the bad one isn't that old - a year maybe. *sigh*

Thanks everyone.

kimsland said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

It goes on and on !

Note:

I am happy to follow this through with you

Article in which one of the items is as follows :

To complete part one, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

Problem is ... no boot disk. Not yet anyway - going to have to paw through boxes and hope it's somewhere within the preserves that came with the remaining contents of mothers apartment.

Again, I am VERY greatful for all your help! You have spent a lot of time working me through this. I have to go on a hunt now I suppose - as I am realizing that all routes seem to be leading to the need for this disk. And it's almost time for my to wake the kids for school. (yes, I was up all night with this one - LITERALLY lol!)

umm... wow that sounded like a cop out. Just to clarify I AM carrying on with this - I need to find the disk first. (and maybe have a nap).

You can use any XP CD to carry out repairs - if you need to reinstall XP it has to be the same as the authentication sticker on the system case. Might save a protracted search if you can use either the 'other' one or a borrowed one.

Wait wait.....the last time the computer was in the shop the techies made some back up disks for me in case they needed to clean out the system - I know one was labelled drivers but there were a couple more....maybe one of them would have what I need? A backup XP disc? I still need to look for it but the odds are MUCH greater of finding those than the one from my mother.

My second computer is also XP. That might help? I have the disk for that one right behind me!

I'm having seconds thoughts too !

This process can be long winded, I think it may be better to somehow backup and re-install.
Note I have fixed this error before, so that is not the issue.
Just that I like clean installs

tintinabou said:
... I know one was labelled drivers but there were a couple more....maybe one of them would have what I need?...
My second computer is also XP. That might help? I have the disk for that one right behind me!

Sorry for double post, but you are quick with your posting

They may have made an image Restore disk, which will remove everything on your drive if used, and then install Windows again.

Second Xp disk - must be the exact same version as your product key, stuck on the side of your computer. If it is not, you cannot use it.

Don't ignore the advice given by wossname in post #6 - this is all good stuff and covers all the points.
I am backing away from this as there is a danger of tintinabou being misled by all the various instructions being given.
Best of luck

By second xp disk I think I meant like a backup version of what is on the computer. I do remember I wasn't able to find the original disk when I took the computer in last time ... so they must have had something to work with I assume....

... in any case, I have to break for a bit - the kids are waking and I have to get breakfast for them etc. Maybe after a nap I will be able to think better about where I might have put those techie disks - or better, find the original.

I will be back later. My son is distracting me too much to continue at the moment.

Thank you for all your help!! I'll be back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back