XP Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GThomp6654

I have just gotten a new hard drive, and put a fresh instalation of Windows XP on to it, however, I have a problem in the fact I am now unable to download any updates, other than windows XP Sp 3, has anyone got any ideas how I can rectify this problem please?

"I am now unable to download any updates, other than windows XP Sp 3"

What happens when you try to get updates?
Where are you trying to get the updates from?
What updates are you trying to get?

What happens is SP3 takes precedence over all other individual updates
I confirmed this by installing Windows fresh (a while back) and the MS update only showed SP3 as the single available update.

I believe there was an area to show individual security updates.
But in actual fact SP3 is all of them (wrapped up in one) anyway. So it would be preferred to do that.

Here's the link to SP3 again: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx
Or just do the Windows Update

Sounds good

Thats great, thankyou :)

I am now sorted :)
But does that mean Windows Update,examines your OS and shows you a
list of updates,some crirical ?
You don't always need all that are listed,Some with 64 for example.
Read the details of ctiticals.You might not need them.
But did your XP install include SP2 ?

But does that mean Windows Update,examines your OS and shows you a list of updates,some crirical ?
Yes that's what it does

You don't always need all that are listed,Some with 64 for example.
Read the details of ctiticals.You might not need them.
SP3 includes all previous security patches and bug fixes
All are relevant to your individual computer

But did your XP install include SP2 ?
He must have SP2 installed to see SP3 on Automatic Updates
If he had SP1 he would only see the SP2 update, until he restarts with SP2 fully installed. (I feel this is a mistake by MS)
edit
But I suppose SP3 is only the 100+ updates on top of SP2 anyway

I re-installed Windows back to SP2, will think about upgrading to SP3 at some point, but for now - I am happy with what I have, considering it seems to be working well

Good idea

Heres what MSoft has to say,

Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.
But it's caused me no problems.
:)

Heres what MSoft has to say,

Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.
:)

They mean And contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.

It actually contains all Security updates since SP2 was released

I am happy with what I have, considering it seems to be working well
Can't argue with that :)

Your right

After installing SP3 i had no Windows critical updates left.
No problems because of it though.

Oh zipperman :mad:
SP3 includes all the updates since SP2 (this part we all agree on, I hope)

But since SP3 release (now been a short while) there have been more security updates !! On top of SP3 (another good reason to get it actually)

Anyway, many users elect not to install SP3 (even support members sadly)
Everyone should realize that it's not really a personal choice thing. They are Security Updates, if you don't get them, you'll be not secured against potential attacks on your (well MS) Windows Xp version.

In some instances (all of resolved fully now by MS) some users reported SP3 created more havoc. Thankfully for this reason both Add/Remove Programs and System Restore can be used to uninstall it. But. These problem installs are actually to do with your computer makeup, not SP3.

Safe to test

Oh zipperman :mad:
SP3 includes all the updates since SP2 (this part we all agree on, I hope)

But since SP3 release (now been a short while) there have been more security updates !! On top of SP3 (another good reason to get it actually)

Anyway, many users elect not to install SP3 (even support members sadly)
Everyone should realize that it's not really a personal choice thing. They are Security Updates, if you don't get them, you'll be not secured against potential attacks on your (well MS) Windows Xp version.

In some instances (all of resolved fully now by MS) some users reported SP3 created more havoc. Thankfully for this reason both Add/Remove Programs and System Restore can be used to uninstall it. But. These problem installs are actually to do with your computer makeup, not SP3.
SP3 can be uninstalled.
But i don't worry about "Malicious Hackers"
attacking me.It's not the White House.They can have a copy of my pictures and
mp3's.I have no secret UFO information.:darth:

Now that's funny :)

But a good point, I'm just about going to go back to Windows 98 and be done with all this ! Actually Ubuntu looks good

I've asked this question before- is it going to ever be possible to plug all the vulnerabilities? How many updates can a system continue to get, then how many more to patch a problem caused by a previous update? Every day some hacker or cracker find a new way to access a computer system. Are we fighting even a reasonable battle by continuing to get update after update ad infinitum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back