Yet another SB Live! 5.1 problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

equlajzer

Yet another SB Live! 5.1 problem(updated)

I recently bought a new set of speakers. Including 2 main-speakers, 2 surround, 1 center surround and a subwoofer.

I've since I bought the speakers not been able to use the 2 surround speakers, only the two main, center and woofer.

often the woofer is on but sometimes it stops and returns back after few seconds. I really didn't mind this problem, I just assumed it was something wrong with my audiocard since I've had several problems with it before, but none that I haven't been able to fix. And I'm stuck again :)

I won't just clear the disks and reinstall windows, I want to solve it. I have already tried removing the drivers and let windows find the right ones, but these don't work perfectly. Since the subwoofer won't go on! All I can hear through now is the two main-speakers. I've tried changing the PCI-ports, with no result. Taking out and putting the cords back on. A couple of drivers, including LiveDrvUni-Pack AND the patch. Also these without result. I tried to download some drivers from driverguide.com and I also updated my mothercard (mainboard, whatever?), nothing.

Soon I'll be able to try on another computer, while wating - please help me!

kind regards, david

I think you're better off doing a clean install of Windows. Once you start installing and uninstalling Creative drivers you never get it straighted out. Thats been my experience with SB Live, SB Live 5.1 and my new Audigy.

I just tried out the speakers on my father's computer and still didn't work. Same problem. So clearly there's something wrong with my speakers.... so does anybody know any "support forums" for speakers?

Anyway, I'll try to explain what happens:
If I plug all the speakers in at the same time (2 main, 2 surround, 1 center surround) into the subwoofer and all of the cords into the computer and play a sound, ONLY the two MAIN speakers gives sound, the woofer and center surround seems dead and the Left and Right surroundspeakers just delivers a very low disturbing sound (rushing sound or whatever it's called, the higher the volume the higher the noise, I bet you understand)
(btw. There's three different cords between the subwoofer and soundcard, green - Front speakers, Black – Rear and Orange Woofer/Central)

When I change places on the Black and Green cords the sound is delivered by the surround speakers (doh!) and it sounds good. When I try to connect the orange cord to the green "spot" (where both the surround and fron speakers gave sound) neither the centerspeaker or the subwoofer makes sound, BUT now the mainspeakers delivers the sound(the mp3, not the noise) but REALLY low. If I replace on of the mainspeakers on the subwoofer with the central speaker, the central works BUT NOT the subwoofer.

I've tried ALL of the different combinations to try to make the surround- and mainspeakers work at the same time, but failed. Same with central and main, and central and surround, no success.

It does sound like the subwoofer is broken, but I still doubt it.
What could have happend? (Bless the one who reads all this)

kind regards, david

You talk about changing the positions of the cables & such but have you played with the Creative Audio Control Panel ? If you do not tell the card that it is hooked up to a 5.1 system, by default it will work in 2 speaker mode.

A few things to look at.

On your center speaker going off and on, are you sure you're plugged in securely to the sound card. I've had the plug back out a little from the sound card, (many times), and if it does, it might do just what you are describing. It has to be plugged in all the way for it to work correctly.

Are you sure you have the fader control set to somewhere in the middle, try moving it to the back more to see if effects the rear speakers any. If your fader is set all the way to the front, you might only hear hissing or very low sound from the back.

Do you hear anything from all the speakers when you run the "test". I have had instances where I got sound from the test, but not from other sources.

Not sure if this card has "CMSS" settings, but if it does try different settings. When playing games I've had sound with some CMSS settings and no sound with others.
If you do not tell the card that it is hooked up to a 5.1 system, by default it will work in 2 speaker mode.
The several Creative cards that I've had, have a nasty habit of going back to 2 speaker mode of there own mind.

Also, you can try plugging a pair of headphones into each of the speaker outputs, (turn your volume down first), and see if you get any output when you run the speaker test or play whatever.

Have you gone to Creatives mostly useless knwoledge base for any info. Or you might contact Creative for some more useless form letter info, but who knows, they might help.

Do you have a Dell? I saw something in Creatives knowledge base about a patch for a subwoofer/surround problem. If you've got a Dell check out there drivers.

bleh..

*Yes, I have done this maybe 10-20 times on all different outlets on the soundcard, with all the different cords from the subwoofer.

*Neither is this the problem, I have been mixing with tons of different volume controls, including the controler and on the CPU.

*Yep, tried this too. Only the mainspeakers deliver sound.

*CMSS? Care to explain? :)

*Yep, I've that setting on and I have checked it frequently.

*I'm not sure if I know what you mean, when I plug my headphones into the volumecontroler it sounds the same.

*No, I haven't.

*Nope, no dell here.

Actually, I'm not so sure it's a SB Live! 5.1 card I've got now... coz when I open SiSoftware Sandra and the Sound card information it says "Device name: SB Live! Wave-unit " and then Version "5.10" - this is where I got 5.1 from before, since I never really knew what card I had. Now I'm not so sure. The Product ID is: 101/1.

Anyway, if someone knows the right drivers for me, FOR SURE, please tell me which. I fully cleaned my harddisk and reinstalled windows today(new version too, pro instead of home).

Frankly, I'm pretty sure it's some technical matter. I'll bring my subwoofer to a friend later and let him check it out before I send it back for support.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it, truly. I guess you understand since the speakers are new and all.

I should add: There is nothing wrong with my computer except this and here are the following components I use:

Mainboard/Mothercard: Intel Corporation (Model: D845EBG2)
Processor: Pentium 4 CPU 2.20GHZ
Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
RAM: 512mb
Sound card: SB Live! ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back