Zotac gtx 660 fan problem

ViperCDX

Hi, recently I noticed my cabinet case getting hot, so I opened it and found that one of the fans of my gtx 660 is not working,I contacted support and they said that they needed the card for 10-14 days, so I was wondering if I could just add a cooler master bc 80 mm led fan cooler and still achieve the same degree of cooling?
Thanks in advance

What exactly would you be doing? Are you adding a 80mm fan to your case to try to compensate for the loss of one fan on the GTX 660, or would you be modifying the GTX 660 by removing the non working fan and replacing it with a working one? The latter could be done, but you will be voiding the warrant (if it still has one). I would take the video card out and first check for anything loose, possibly a wire. Sometimes the wires for the fans on the video cards short out or come loose and cause the fan to stop working.

Hi, recently I noticed my cabinet case getting hot, so I opened it and found that one of the fans of my gtx 660 is not working,I contacted support and they said that they needed the card for 10-14 days, so I was wondering if I could just add a cooler master bc 80 mm led fan cooler and still achieve the same degree of cooling?
Thanks in advance

Putting a case fan on a GPU would not work. You need to either contact Zotac or buy an aftermarket GPU cooler.

@spykezxp-I was thinking about adding a 80mm fan to my case to compensate for the loss of one fan,yes I have pulled the card out of its socket and again inserted it,checked for any loose wires but it didnt help
@jc713- will a gpu cooler compensate for the loss of a fan?

The card was designed to run with two fans. I'm sure you can use it with just one, but you risk destroying the card due to overheating or similar.

Spykezxp was actually referring to loose wires on the fan itself, not the card. The two fans connect to the PCB on the card somewhere, check this.

A complete GPU heatsink + fan combo would work, yes.

I'd just return it. 14 days, but it's free and has the least hassles.

If just one of your fans is not working I would suggest downloading something like MSI afterburner and revving the fan speed up automatically and seeing what happens. If the fan truly is dead and your down to one, yea I would just send it in, its alot less hassle than going aftermarket and worrying about voiding warranty etc. Zotac is pretty good about warranties and testing so if your card has issues they will sometimes just replace it totally with a different one.

Back