BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer protocol designed to transfer files. Users connect directly to send and receive portions of a file, while a central tracker coordinates the action of all peers and manages connections without knowledge of the contents of the files being distributed. With BitTorrent, users upload at the same time they download, so network bandwidth is managed as efficiently as possible. BitTorrent is designed to work better than other file-transfer protocols as the number of people interested in a certain file increases.
- Lightweight client
- Local peer discovery
- Multiple simultaneous downloads
- Configurable bandwidth scheduler
- Global and per-torrent speed limiting
- Quick-resumes for interrupted transfers
- RSS Downloader
- Trackerless support (Mainline DHT)
- Reduce CPU usage
- Fixed Wine support
- Better support for atypical connections (such as VPNs) with Path MTU discovery
- Fixed SOCKS proxy support
- DHT security improvements
Software similar to BitTorrent 11
Tribler is an open source BitTorrent-based p2p client that lets you find and share content like video, audio and pictures.
A powerful C++ BitTorrent Client.
Popular Experimental BitTorrent Client.