VLC for Mobile is a port of the free VLC media player to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. It can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion. It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through WiFi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web. VLC offers support for advanced subtitles including full SSA compatibility, multi-track audio, and playback speed control.
- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A video media library, with WiFi Upload, Dropbox integration and optional passcode lock.
- Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Supports iOS 5.1 or later including the first iPad.
- Completely free, libre and open source.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Appstore version updated to 3.3.8
- Fixed discovery of UPnP/DLNA servers on iOS 16
- Add new video player interface
- Add support to browse NFS and SFTP shares
- Replace previous UPnP integration with VLC's native support based on libupnp this improves compatibility with off-standard UPnP servers
- Replace previous FTP integration with VLC's native support this improves compatibility with servers using non-western text encodings and allows connections to servers with off-standard port configurations
- Add downloads from SMB servers
- Add support for http(s) downloads from servers requiring authentication
- Add grid layout for Audio library
- Major speed and performance improvements avoiding heating issues
- Fix storing user credentials for network shares
- Retain downloaded subtitles for locally stored media
- Automatic video deinterlacing (by default)
- Retain last opened media category
- Add support for Files.app as a source to open media without importing to VLC, this allows playback from external devices, too!
- Add a queue view controller to switch between scheduled media items and for TV channel listings
- Add a full black theme for OLED devices
- Add rtsp-tcp option
- Add support for spatial audio with AirPods Pro and Max
- library: allow sorting tracks and albums by insertion date
- playback: allow up to 8x playback speed
- video: modify white point adaptation mode on modern iOS devices
- Add support for SAT>IP including custom channel lists
- Clicking previous during playback now resets the playback position instead of directly going to the previous item in list
- Add Select-All feature to media library screens
- Fix listing large number of media in Google Drive and Dropbox folders