We like keeping our apps running for a few days (that’s just the way I roll) and because of this Firefox was using over ~800MB of memory after about 3 days. It’s quite normal for Firefox to be sucking up over 200MB of memory right off the bat. In a memory leak you’ll see the memory usage keep increasing the longer the program is open/in-use and this is exactly what happens with Firefox.
Rather than complain about it, we decided to fix it. Enter Firemin; simply put, it will attempt to eliminate Firefox memory leaks and decrease the amount of memory Firefox uses. All I did was tweak our Memory Booster a little and applied it to Firefox (including Firefox extensions) and all the memory leaks was gone.
Firemin vs. Windows Memory Management
Windows will also periodically scan running processes and tell them to release their unused memory. You could argue that this makes Firemin unnecessary, and you would be spot on. However, It is my opinion that Windows does not clean out memory as often as I would like it to. Firemin runs the clean memory API call a few times per second.
uses a lot of memory; a little more than I feel comfortable with and for this reason I created Firemin.
The method Firemin uses to decrease Firefox memory usage is not proven and the debate over if it works or not will go on until the end of time, but the logic remains; if it works for you, use it and if it does not, don’t use it. It is really that simple.
- Cleaner optimized code.
- Removed unsupported Win10 AutoIt directive.
- External resource dlls removed. Icons now embedded in exe.
- Improved update notification system with option to disable update checks.
- Added option to manually check for updates to the Help menu.
- Added update animation.
- Added customizable splash delay.
- Added GitHub link to the Help menu to quickly create an issue.
- Added GitHub link on the About Dialog.
- Added Downloads, Contact and Donate links to the Help menu.
- New PayPal.me donation link (PayPal.me/rizonesoft).
- New none-intrusive Donate prompt after a set time. (120 Hours Default)
- The Donate prompt will only be shown once.
- Improved custom Progress Bar.
- Improved About Dialog (New Mouse Hover Effects for Image Buttons).
- Improved Splash Screen (New custom Progress Bar).
- Added Localization (Translations).
- Alt+F4 now closes the program and not Esc. (Safer!)
- Moved Documents to Docs folder.
- Show Settings on First Run.
- More Boost and Limit options.
- Extended Processes moved to Preferences dialog.
- Safe mode command database now working.
- Minor cosmetic changes.