It took longer than we expected, but someone has finally filed a class-action lawsuit against Sony for removing the "Other OS" feature on its PlayStation 3 consoles in a patch last month. Filed on April 27 by Anthony Ventura of California, the suit accuses Sony of the "intentional disablement of the valuable functionality originally advertised as available."
In addition to breaching the sales contract between purchasers, Ventura's filing says Sony deceived "millions of unsuspecting customers." As such, the lawsuit is being brought "on behalf of a nationwide class of all persons who purchased a PS3 during the period of November 17, 2006 to March 27, 2010 and who did not sell their PS3 before March 27, 2010."
Among other things, Ventura is after compensatory damages and injunction relief. While no exact figure is given, the suit says "the amount in controversy is in excess of $5 million." Further details are available at IGN, who has retrieved a copy of the lawsuit (PDF).