Seagate Barracuda Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincranky

As everyone is beginning to learn, Seagate is having trouble with their newest release of SATA2 HDDS.

I recently purchased a Seagate 640GB "Barracuda" 7200.11 SATA2 HDD. This drive is listed on Seagate's site as one that is potentially a candidate for a "firmware upgrade".
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is even a high risk unit for the problems Seagate has been having with their 7200.11 high capacity HDD series.

Wait 'til it bricks?

Flash the firmware?

Or, throw it away without trying to use it, and buy a WD "Caviar Black" to replace it as a matter of course?

Whaddya think......?

Seagate is having real problems with those 7200.11 drives.

There are some posts on techspot site about the seagate drives. I would suggest you read those. And also, you can read about the drives from other sites too.

My suggestion would be not to use the drive, and just wait and watch about the final outcome of all this. If you use the drive, you would be risking your valuable data.
Since you have put money on the drive, dont just throw it away. Either, get an exchange for another drive, if possible... or just keep it for the time being, and get another drive meanwhile.

I have Western digitals, maxtor's, and dead brand hd's that are still running fine 4-8 years old, i have a small pile of dead baricudas of varrying model numbers that are from 6 months to 4 years old. I am not purchasing any seagate drives in the future (despite maxtor's links with seagate they seem even to be more reliable in my experience)

Good feedback guys, Thanks much!

I was just able to validate the model and serial number of my drive at Seagate's site. These pages weren't working the other night when I downloaded the firmware updates. Anyhoo, it says my drive, (when input by serial#) isn't affected, (.), (!) or (?). Or possibly,:confused:

The machine has 2 DVD burners, so I plan on backing up a bunch. Faith in institutions and business mitigates my paranoia, but it certainly doesn't eliminate it.:suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back