Nvidia to launch GF100 at PAX East 2010, GeForce GTX 480 priced at $679?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It seems Nvidia might make good on its commitment to launch the GF100 GPU in the first quarter -- at least on paper, anyway. The company has posted a page revealing plans to demo and presumably release its next-generation graphics technology. Nvidia is preparing a "must see" presentation on Friday, March 27 at the upcoming PAX East 2010 convention.

Additionally, the company has secured a booth where users will get a hands-on look at Fermi. Attendees will be able to test drive popular (and some unreleased) games on the next-gen GPU, with the opportunity to compete for prizes. Some Nvidia diehards may even be able to purchase a Fermi-based card at the event.

While Nvidia failed to mention a price on the cards, an XFX GeForce GTX 480 2GB preorder has been spotted online for $679.99. The card was pulled, but not before a number of snide -- though comical -- "reviews" were left. You can read a few of those reviews via this screenshot.

Permalink to story.

hahaha those reviews are classic.

seriously though.. I'll have to wait over a month to get one? I used to always get nVidia but now I'm just tempted to go and get a 5870 as they've kept us waiting far too long.

LOL...those reviews are hilarious!

nVidia has one hella catching up to do if they're going to catch ATI right now. And listing their card at $700 isn't probably the best step. I wanna see the specs and benchmarks though, dang it....

at $679.99 only a select few would even think of buying them. you could get 2 super high end ATI cards in a cross fire config for cheaper. that being said, i have always been an nvidia fan and do very much look forward to the new architecture.

Thanks for the link, CodePhoeniX. If that interesting article is accurate, nVidia is going to be in a world of hurt for a long, long time.

meh-Vidia

Seriously though.
If that price is remotely correct then nvidia need to put down the crack pipe.

Despite being 5% faster (rumoured) the thing has taken 6 months to get into the market and is an unviable option for the low end segment. It is quite ridiculous that a card with a die size almost twice as big as its competitors which also takes far more power does not blow its competitor out of the water.

Also, hope you guye liked the reviews but there were good ones for the $570 GTX470. TO sum up WOODSCREWS, 1.7%, 20% clock miss. Thanks.

/g/ - TECHNOLOGY!

Looks like the trolls are out in force.

Shane Baxter over at Tweaktown is already reporting that the GTX470 MSRP is $US299, which was the same list price as the HD5850 before AMD and it's partners decided to gouge the customers. If your gonna go trolling at least try to stay informed.

dividebyzero said:
Looks like the trolls are out in force.

Shane Baxter over at Tweaktown is already reporting that the GTX470 MSRP is $US299, which was the same list price as the HD5850 before AMD and it's partners decided to gouge the customers. If your gonna go trolling at least try to stay informed.

all 5850's from major distributiors are under $299.99.
Just because newegg has 5850's for $330 does not mean that it is AMD/Partners charging more. (Hint: Its newegg.)
If you are going to go throwing prices around at least try to stay informed.

I am in Iraq waiting on this card to release specifically so I can decide on ATI or Nvidia for my new rig I'll be building soon as I come home... That being said... if it is "as good" as the HD5870, and priced like the HD5850 count me in... That's like a free upgrade for me. Also, if Nvidia comes out with the "perfect drivers" that they stated at CES they have been working on... great, I don't have to worry about black screens. Now all I have to do is wait and see if it'll work with the motherboard I plan on getting.

CodePhoeniX said:
Rumor is that the GTX 480 is about 5% faster than the ATI 5870

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/20/semiaccurate-gets-some-gtx480-scores/

I wouldn't take anything Charlie Demerjian has to say seriously for a second, hes the biggest Nvidia basher in the history of the company (Well at least thats what I think about him) he does nothing but exaggerate already convoluted or inaccurate facts in an effort to discredit Nvidia for no reason at all. So anything he says, don't believe. Wait till the card gets benched and then everyone will know. That being said, I hope this card doesn't bomb.

Well, I'm a fan of ATI,
I look forward to ATI Radeon HD 5890..
I hope it will faster than GTX 480..
And I hope ATI will make a HD 5990(2X5890)

TomSEA said:
<snip> nVidia is going to be in a world of hurt for a long, long time.

Not really, smartphones and ultramobiiles are exploding and Tegra2, ION2 and Optimus are all there is in that segment. Nvidia is going to make stupid money with or without the gaming sector. I think that is pretty much why they are strolling along with fermi, *whenever* it gets here it may be the hottest and fastest, but the real money is going to be in >1500$ workstation cards for supercomputing. (if the card ever works properly) At least that's what i think ;)

It would seem that the entire manner by which images are processed and displayed is due for a revolution. Massive, extremely complex, difficult to manufacture graphic chips costing hundreds of dollars just to play games are a bit over the top. There must be a better way. I'd much rather sink my $$$ into a really stunning monitor. I'm hoping some genius out there will soon make the current approach obsolete.

Driving a $200 monitor with a $700 graphic card is just like driving $100 speakers with a $1000 amp/preamp in my opinion. It works, but it just doesn't make much sense,

Just because newegg has 5850's for $330 does not mean that it is AMD/Partners charging more. (Hint: Its newegg.)

XFX $335
Visiontek $310
HIS $315
Diamond $310
XFX $320
XFX (OC) $360
PowerColor $310
MSI $310
In fact neither Tiger Direct, Fry's or Directron are selling any available brand at $299 or less.
Keep up with the special needs schooling- I can see it's likely to stand you in good stead

dividebyzero said:

XFX $335
Visiontek $310
HIS $315
Diamond $310
XFX $320
XFX (OC) $360
In fact neither Tiger Direct of Fry's are selling any brand at $299 or less.
Keep up with the special needs schooling- I can see it's likely to stand you in good stead

Distributors like D&H, Synnex, Ingram Micro, etc..
Tiger direct, frys and newegg are resellers.

Ill post a screenshot tomorrow

umm wtf happened to the gtx 300 series?

nvidia probably wants ppl to believe they skipped a series so they can "pretend" they are ahead of the game. typical.

i'm actually surprised they didn't jump right to GTX-500 since ATI is HD50xx now

nvidia probably wants ppl to believe they skipped a series so they can "pretend" they are ahead of the game. typical.

i'm actually surprised they didn't jump right to GTX-500 since ATI is HD50xx now

I think the naming convention comes down to:
2xx series = DirectX 10 (excepting the GT 240)
3xx series = DirectX 10.1
4xx series = DirectX 11

dividebyzero, GT220 and 210 are DX10.1, too. But I think they skipped to the 400 because they've already announced 300 cards which are DX10.1, and didn't want to be accused of pulling another GeForce4 MX.

Anyway, I kind of pity the people who've been waiting for these cards. Sure, it never hurts to wait and they may actually turn out good, but if you're the kind to buy the GeForce 400 series at release time, you're also the kind who could have enjoyed a Radeon 5000 series for the past few months.

And I really hope they'd have at least a few cards in stores when they announce the card. They don't have to have a lot -- after all, AMD didn't with Radeon 5870 -- but having something at least lets some of the enthusiasts breath a sigh of relief.

@dividedbyzero - the MSRP for the 5850 units was floating around the $270 mark since it was first introduced. Just because those companies are charging more for it, doesn't mean ATi is the one gouging. It's supply and demand economics at its most basic, and with limited production due to their supplier issues early on, demand was way higher than supply, so the price ballooned.

The retailers and individual manufacturers are the ones making the extra off the consumers, not ATi, who sold their chipsets to all those manufacturers for the same set prices regardless. Oh, and these are the very same manufacturers who will be supplying nVidia cards as well. Something to keep in mind when pointing fingers and complaining about profitmongering - ATi and nVidia often have very little to do with the end costs of video cards, once they have shipped their chips. It's all about what the market will bear.

I cant wait for this and hopefully more cards to arrive. I would like one to match the 5850's power whislt being cheaper as I would like to stich with nvidia. Maybe this series will put ati back in 2nd place, who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back