Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your website's FTP password, online passwords (like website member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, website, etc. Unimaginable.
KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). For more information, see the features page.
Is it really free?
Yes, KeePass is really free, and more than that: it is open source (OSI certified). You can have a look at its full source and check whether the encryption algorithms are implemented correctly.
- The version information file (which the optional update check downloads to see if there exists a newer version) is now digitally signed (using RSA-4096 / SHA-512); furthermore, it is downloaded over HTTPS.
- Added option 'Lock workspace when minimizing main window to tray'.
- Added option 'Esc minimizes to tray instead of locking the workspace'.
- Added Ctrl+Q shortcut for closing KeePass (as alternative to Alt+F4).
- Added UIFlags bit for disabling the 'Check for Updates' menu item.
- The installers (regular and MSI) now create an empty 'Plugins' folder in the application directory, and the portable package now also contains such a folder.
- Plugins: added support for digitally signed version information files.
- Plugins are now loaded only directly from the application directory and from any subdirectory of the 'Plugins' folder in the application directory.
- Improved startup performance (by filtering plugin candidates).
- When closing a database, KeePass now searches and deletes any temporary files that may have been created and forgotten by MSHTML when printing failed.
- CHM help file: improved high DPI support.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
Apps similar to KeePass 4
Lastpass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.
RoboForm is a free password manager and one-click web form filler with some serious Artificial Intelligence.
Create strong, unique passwords. Remember them and restore them, all directly in your web browser.