KeePassXC is a secure and open-source password manager. Your passwords remain encrypted at all times and no data is stored on remote servers, so you stay in full control of your data. No cloud, no ads, no subscriptions.
What's the difference between KeePassXC and KeePass?
KeePassXC is a fork from the original KeePass project as both are open-source applications. KeePassXC is written in C++, while KeePass is written in C#. This translates to KeePassXC running natively in all desktop platforms with the best integration possible. KeePassXC also provides extra features like support for AES, Twofish or ChaCha20 encryption.
Is KeePassXC better than LastPass?
KeePassXC shares many features and functionality also offered in LastPass. The biggest difference is that KeePassXC is open-source and anyone can verify the transparency of the service. LastPass offers better cross-platform support with mobile apps, while KeePassXC is only available for Windows, macOS and Linux.
Why do you need a password manager?
Having a password manager allows you to store all your passwords in one safe place. Instead of having to remember dozens of usernames and passwords, a password manager allows you to have a single username and password to access all others. Most password managers have additional features like strong password generation, cloud storage, and the ability to store other sensitive material like URLs and personal notes.
Is KeePassXC secure?
Yes, KeePassXC uses AES256 or the Twofish block cipher to encrypt your passwords, so it is considered extremely safe so long as you use a strong master password. Additionally, being open-source there is a large community behind KeePassXC that tests and improves the application constantly.
- The complete database is always encrypted with the industry-standard AES (alias Rijndael) encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. KeePassXC uses a database format that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe. Your wallet works offline and requires no Internet connection.
- KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, the cross-platform port of KeePass for Windows. Every feature works cross-platform and was thoroughly tested on multiple systems to provide users with the same look and feel on every supported operating system. This includes the beloved Auto-Type feature.
- The full source code is published under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
- We see open source as a vital prerequisite for any security-critical software product. For that reason, KeePassXC is and always will be free as in freedom (and in beer). Contributions by everyone are welcome!
- Secure storage of passwords and other private data with AES, Twofish or ChaCha20 encryption
- Cross-platform, runs on Linux, Windows and macOS without modifications
- File format compatibility with KeePass2, KeePassX, MacPass, KeeWeb and many others (KDBX 3.1 and 4.0)
- SSH Agent integration
- Auto-Type on all supported platforms for automagically filling in login forms
- Key file and YubiKey challenge-response support for additional security
- TOTP generation (including Steam Guard)
- CSV import from other password managers (e.g., LastPass)
- Command line interface
- Stand-alone password and passphrase generator
- Password strength meter
- Custom icons for database entries and download of website favicons
- Database merge functionality
- Automatic reload when the database was changed externally
- Browser integration with KeePassXC-Browser for Google Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi, and Mozilla Firefox.
Today, we are releasing KeePassXC 2.7.6 with a few bug fixes and enhancements. This version fixes a crash on macOS that occurred on exit. We also improved the visual display when dragging entries to move/copy, Quick Unlock is now automatically activated when unlocking for Auto-Type or Browser access, and the Auto-Type button and shortcut key will be disabled when Auto-Type is turned off for the entry or group.
- Significant improvement to visual when drag/drop entries [#9698]
- Automatically prompt for Quick Unlock when showing unlock dialog [#9697]
- Improve colorful lock icon and fix file MIME icon on KDE [#9632]
- Ability to search by entry UUID [#9571]
- Add challenge-response support for NitroKey 3 [#9631]
- Auto-Type: Disable entry level Auto-Type when disabled at group/entry [#9672]
- Browser: Show warning when adding duplicate URL's to entry [#9588][#9635]
- Browser: Improve error message when proxy cannot be found [#9385]
- Fix crash on exit on macOS [#9620]
- Fix crash on search if entry doesn't have a group [#9633]
- Fix several issues with Quick Unlock [#9697]
- Enable save button when not auto-saving non-data changes [#9634]
- Several UI/UX fixes [#9647]
- Move toolbar back to top of window when disabling movement [#9699]
- Browser: Fix handling of expired credentials [#9595]
- Windows: Prevent white flicker when launching application [#9637]
- Linux: Fix warning message about allow screencapture [#9638]
- FdoSecrets: Fix access confirmation dialog showing even when disabled [#9690]
KeePassXC 2.7.5 changelog
- Add menu option to allow screenshots [#8841]
- Add support for Botan 3 [#9388]
- Increase max TOTP step to 24 hours [#9149]
- Improve HTML export layout [#8987]
- Turn search reset off by default [#9153]
- Use QClipboard::clear() instead of setting blank text [#9148]
- Hide group column header choice when not in search [#9171]
- Improve look of KeePassXC logo and icons [#9355]
- Add keyboard shortcuts for app and database settings [#9007]
- Hide rename button from attachments preview panel [#8842]
- Linux: Set SingleMainWindow in .desktop file [#7430]
- Fix crash when search clears while creating new entry [#9230]
- Fix crash when using Windows Hello in a Remote Desktop session [#9006]
- Fix crash in Group Edit after enabling Browser Integration [#8778]
- Fix canceling quick unlock when it is unavailable [#9034]
- Set password input field font correctly [#8732]
- Greatly improve performance when rendering entry view [#9398]
- Fix various accessibility issues [#9138]
- Fix arrows size when expand/collapse a group [#9096]
- Select the clone instead of the original after cloning an entry [#9070]
- Fix bugs with preview widget [#9170]
- Fix status bar update when switching to other DB [#9073]
- Fix database settings spin box bug [#9101]
- Fix Ctrl+Tab shortcut to cycle databases in unlock dialog [#8839]
- Fix TOTP QR code maintaining square ratio [#9027]
- Fix Auto-Type configuration page on custom sequence selection [#8752]
- Fix unexpected behavior of --lock when KeePassXC is not running [#8889]
- Make open folder icon exempt from "Apply group icon to entry" [#9205]
- Allow setting default file open directory with env var [#9192]
- SSH Agent: Fix support for AES-256/GCM openssh keys [#8968]
- Browser: Fix Native Messaging script path with BSD OS's [#8835]
- MacOS: Fix text selection for Auto-Type clear field [#9066]
- MacOS: Don't rely on AppleInterfaceStyle for theme switching [#8615]
- Windows: Remove registry detection of desktop shortcut [#9380]
KeePassXC is featured in...
Software similar to KeePassXC 7
The easiest and safest way for individuals, teams, and business organizations to store, share, and sync sensitive data.
KeePass is a free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager.
RoboForm is a free password manager and one-click web form filler with some serious Artificial Intelligence.
Create strong, unique passwords. Remember them and restore them, all directly in your web browser.
- Free to Try
More similar downloads