KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, a native cross-platform port of KeePass Password Safe, with the goal to extend and improve it with new features and bugfixes to provide a feature-rich, fully cross-platform and modern open-source password manager.
- The complete database is always encrypted with the industry-standard AES (alias Rijndael) encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. KeePassXC uses a database format that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe. Your wallet works offline and requires no Internet connection.
- KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, the cross-platform port of KeePass for Windows. Every feature works cross-platform and was thoroughly tested on multiple systems to provide users with the same look and feel on every supported operating system. This includes the beloved Auto-Type feature.
- The full source code is published under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
- We see open source as a vital prerequisite for any security-critical software product. For that reason, KeePassXC is and always will be free as in freedom (and in beer). Contributions by everyone are welcome!
- Secure storage of passwords and other private data with AES, Twofish or ChaCha20 encryption
- Cross-platform, runs on Linux, Windows and macOS without modifications
- File format compatibility with KeePass2, KeePassX, MacPass, KeeWeb and many others (KDBX 3.1 and 4.0)
- SSH Agent integration
- Auto-Type on all supported platforms for automagically filling in login forms
- Key file and YubiKey challenge-response support for additional security
- TOTP generation (including Steam Guard)
- CSV import from other password managers (e.g., LastPass)
- Command line interface
- Stand-alone password and passphrase generator
- Password strength meter
- Custom icons for database entries and download of website favicons
- Database merge functionality
- Automatic reload when the database was changed externally
- Browser integration with KeePassXC-Browser for Google Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi, and Mozilla Firefox.
Today we are releasing KeePassXC 2.5.4, the fourth maintenance update for KeePassXC 2.5.
The update primarily resolves a compatibility issue with macOS 10.15.4 and 10.14.6. The most recent macOS security patches changed the way code signatures are checked resulting in a KeePassXC crash at startup. We published a quick workaround at the end of last month, for which we had to sacrifice TouchID support in order to allow you guys to continue using KeePassXC. This update ships with a full resolution of the code signing issue and brings back TouchID.
A minor side effect of the new update is a changed bundle and App ID. This is not much of a problem, but previously granted accessibility permissions for Auto-Type may have to be granted again after installing this update. Permissions for the “old” version can be safely revoked.
To make this release all about code signing, we also retired SHA1 as our Windows Authenticode signature hash algorithm and moved on to SHA256. PGP signatures have always been SHA256 and remain unchanged.
On top of all that, we backported two small fixes from the development preview of our next major release, which are listed in the changelog below.
The new release can be downloaded from our downloads page, our Ubuntu PPA, and Snapcraft.
Please report any bugs you encounter at our GitHub issue tracker. We are also available on Matrix and IRC in case you have any other issues with the new release (see Contact).
This is the full changelog for KeePassXC 2.5.4:
- Return keyboard focus after saving database edits [#4287]
- Windows: Use bare minimum settings in portable version [#4131]
- Windows: Use SHA256 code signing [#4129]
- macOS: Fix code signing incompatibility in latest macOS release [#4564]
Software similar to KeePassXC 4
Lastpass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.
KeePass Password Safe is a light-weight and easy-to-use password manager.
RoboForm is a free password manager and one-click web form filler with some serious Artificial Intelligence.