Sony PlayStation 3 Firmware 4.11
Download the latest firmware for your PlayStation 3.
Downloading and installing the PlayStation®3 system software update will update your PS3™ system's operating system to include the latest security patches, settings, features and other items. We encourage you to check this page from time to time for system software updates and to always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.
An update to the PS3™ system software was released on September 20, 2011. You can use this update to upgrade your system software to version 3.72.
If your PS3™ system software version is 3.72 (or later), you do not need to perform this update. To check the version of your system software, go to (Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information]. The information is shown in the [System Software] field.
- Do not download or install updates using data other than official update data provided online or on disc media by Sony Computer Entertainment, and do not download or install updates by methods other than those described in the system documentation or on this website. If you download or install update data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3™ system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3™ system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3™ system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
- This update is for PS3™ systems purchased in North America. DO NOT update your PS3™ system through this website if you purchased your system outside North America. There is no guarantee of proper operation with models sold outside North America.
- The system software and system software updates installed on your system are subject to a limited license from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
- Visit http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula for details.
- If your PS3™ system software version is 3.72 (or later), you do not need to perform this update. To check the version of your system software, go to > (Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information]. The information is shown in the [System Software] field.
- The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted in system software versions 3.21 and later. You will not be able to use [Install Other OS] or [Default System] under (Settings) > (System Settings).
- See the Consumer Alerts page for more details.
- To play some software or use some features, you may first need to update the system software.
- Depending on your PS3™ system software version, the screen images and icons that are used on this website may differ from those that appear on your system.
Update using a PC, Instructions:
- Required items
- PlayStation®3 system
- A wireless controller
- A USB cable
- A PC with Internet access
- Storage media (Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, CompactFlash®)* or a USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive (At least 168 MB of free space required)
* An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
- Update data download procedure
- Create a folder on the storage media in which to save the update data. Using a PC, create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or USB device. Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named "UPDATE".
- Download the update data and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created in step 1.
- Be sure to save the update data as noted below. If the data is not saved in the correct way, the PS3™ system will not recognize the update data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.
- Location: Save in the “PS3” folder > “UPDATE” folder
- File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”.
- Update procedure
- Do not turn off the PS3™ system or remove the storage media or USB device during an update. If an update is cancelled before completion, the system software may become damaged, and the system may require servicing or exchange.
- During an update, the power button on the system front and PS button of the controller are inactive.
- Insert the storage media or USB device that contains the update data in the PS3™ system.
- From the home menu, select (Settings) > (System Update), and then press the button.
- Select [Update via Storage Media], and then press the button.
- The system automatically searches for and finds the update data saved on the storage media or USB device.
- Start the update.
- Press the button to start the update. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
- Confirm that the update was successful.
- After the update has been completed, go to (Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information].
- If the [System Software] field displays the version number of the update, the update was successful.
Hint: You can delete the update data from the storage media or USB device after the update has been successfully completed.
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.