Download the latest firmware for your PlayStation 3.
Downloading and installing the PlayStation®3 system software update will
update your PS3™ system's operating system to include the latest security
patches, settings, features and other items. We encourage you to check this page
from time to time for system software updates and to always maintain your system
to use the latest version of the system software.
An update to the PS3™ system software was released on September 20, 2011. You
can use this update to upgrade your system software to version 3.72.
If your PS3™ system software version is 3.72 (or later), you do not need to
perform this update. To check the version of your system software, go to
(Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information]. The information is shown
in the [System Software] field.
- Do not download or install updates using data other than official update
data provided online or on disc media by Sony Computer Entertainment, and do
not download or install updates by methods other than those described in the
system documentation or on this website. If you download or install update
data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3™ system that has
been altered or modified in any way, the PS3™ system may not operate
properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of
these actions may void the PS3™ system warranty and affect your ability to
obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer
- This update is for PS3™ systems purchased in North America. DO NOT
update your PS3™ system through this website if you purchased your system
outside North America. There is no guarantee of proper operation with models
sold outside North America.
- The system software and system software updates installed on your system
are subject to a limited license from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
- Visit http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula for details.
- If your PS3™ system software version is 3.72 (or later), you do not need
to perform this update. To check the version of your system software, go to
> (Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information]. The information is
shown in the [System Software] field.
- The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted
in system software versions 3.21 and later. You will not be able to use
[Install Other OS] or [Default System] under (Settings) > (System Settings).
- See the Consumer Alerts page for more details.
- To play some software or use some features, you may first need to update
the system software.
- Depending on your PS3™ system software version, the screen images and
icons that are used on this website may differ from those that appear on
Update using a PC, Instructions:
- Required items
- PlayStation®3 system
- A wireless controller
- A USB cable
- A PC with Internet access
- Storage media (Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, CompactFlash®)* or a
USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive (At least 168 MB of
free space required)
* An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media
with some models.
- Update data download procedure
- Create a folder on the storage media in which to save the update
data. Using a PC, create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or
USB device. Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named "UPDATE".
- Download the update data and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created
in step 1.
- Be sure to save the update data as noted below. If the data is not
saved in the correct way, the PS3™ system will not recognize the update
data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.
- Location: Save in the “PS3” folder > “UPDATE” folder
- File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”.
- Update procedure
- Do not turn off the PS3™ system or remove the storage media or USB
device during an update. If an update is cancelled before completion,
the system software may become damaged, and the system may require
servicing or exchange.
- During an update, the power button on the system front and PS button
of the controller are inactive.
- Insert the storage media or USB device that contains the update data
in the PS3™ system.
- From the home menu, select (Settings) > (System Update), and then
press the button.
- Select [Update via Storage Media], and then press the button.
- The system automatically searches for and finds the update data
saved on the storage media or USB device.
- Start the update.
- Press the button to start the update. Follow the on-screen
instructions to complete the update.
- Confirm that the update was successful.
- After the update has been completed, go to (Settings) > (System
Settings) > [System Information].
- If the [System Software] field displays the version number of the
update, the update was successful.
Hint: You can delete the update data from the storage media or USB device
after the update has been successfully completed.