12 Windows Clipboard Managers Tested

Julio Franco

Staff member

Clipboard managers make it much easier to re-enter text or anything else that you've recently copied and pasted, adding an array of new capabilities to the default Windows clipboard. Although they differ in specific features, the typical clipboard manager automatically saves text, images and other items as they are copied to your clipboard, displaying them in a list-style GUI that makes it simple to re-copy or paste something later.

Read the full article here.

What I like about Ditto that others seem to be lacking is the ability to store unlimited clips. I work in a devops role and I'm constantly working on scripting things, working in code, etc. Ditto has become my go-to resource when I'm thinking "how did that 'oc login' command work?" I can hit the hotkey, type 'oc login' and find any instance of it that I've copied to the clipboard. It's become second nature to copy anything to the clipboard that I think I might need later. I haven't tested all the apps above, but the few I have looked at didn't have an unlimited option. I'd be interested in knowing if you saw that in any of the others you tested.

Now I will say that unlimited clips comes with a price too. Eventually you get so much in there that just loading the overlay with the hotkey gets slow. When that happens I fire up it's cleanup tool. It lets me search for large clips (by file size, like images), date ranges, etc. Doing that once a year or so has kept it lean and fast.

I always needed a clipboard that function between operating systems when you dual or triple boot with different operating systems. When does it come to market?

I always needed a clipboard that function between operating systems when you dual or triple boot with different operating systems. When does it come to market?
What you want then is cloud-syncing of your clipboard and that's a standard feature in some of the apps we tested. Clipclip doesn't have it, but Ditto and ClipboardFusion I'm almost certain offer it in some form or another. There's people that combine Ditto with Dropbox/Google Drive for the functionality, too, but we didn't test that.

Would appreciate your opinion of PasteCopy.NET (the application, not the website)
We tried 12 apps, with a higher profile and more recently updated than PasteCopy, I'm sure our top choices are better.

While you're probably right, More Recently Updated != Better.

I disagree! By far the most complete program, with features and options you cannot even imagine, is ClipMate 7.3. Try it before you rest on this comment.

Graham2u

I just use what' every comes with Windows 10, Apple IOS, Android Oreo 8x. Thus the clipboard always use so much RAM if you don't clear it out. Use to get buffer over runs in the past. I see there are some issues still as for today with all 3 OS systems.

I use Clipboard History (Chrome Extension). It's a browser extension so it's automatically cross platform and it has a cloud saving function. Pretty simple and easy to use. If you are looking for a good alternative to your current app, give it a try, you won't regret it. It's free to use too

I keep looking for something that I like better than Yankee clipper but have yet to find a simple solution that is better. Simple with the ability to save clips in a "boilerplate" I use it every day.

Just curious, when using Clipclip or Ditto, does the Ctrl+C command automatically copy to the clipboard for those apps, (and then Ctrl+V pastes) or is it a different command or process to carry out the copy/paste functions? Thanks.

Just curious, when using Clipclip or Ditto, does the Ctrl+C command automatically copy to the clipboard for those apps, (and then Ctrl+V pastes) or is it a different command or process to carry out the copy/paste functions? Thanks.
Yes, Ctrl+C to copy... then you use a custom hotkey to paste (or select what to paste from the app's history)

I would avoid Clipboard fusion. It is not lightweight at all, and is resource intensive at times. Sometimes it's HIGHLY resource intensive and seems to occasionally hold onto resources even when there is no reason to do so. Been using it for a few years, but some testing has verified that IT is the cause of some problems I've been having with fan cycling due to resource usage. Will look at some of these others in light of that.

I was a ClipX user until it no longer worked in modern Window. I've since moved on to a little known Japanese app called Clibor and haven't looked back. Clibor allows you to access the clipboard history by double-pressing Ctrl, arguably the fastest and easiest combo there is. Furthermore, it allows you to quickly access your permanent text clips by double-pressing Shift. It also consumes very little memory (under 5 MB), as all simple utilities should (looking at you, ClipboardFusion). Ditto is a close second, but I only care about text so Clibor is the winner.

The last English version of Clibor (v1.4.9) allows you to save up to 1000 clips. However, if you can read Japanese the latest Japanese version (v2.1.0) allows you to save 10000 clips.

I have no problems running ClipX 1.0.3.8 on this Windows 10 Pro machine.
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at Clibor.

I was a ClipX user until it no longer worked in modern Window. I've since moved on to a little known Japanese app called Clibor and haven't looked back. Clibor allows you to access the clipboard history by double-pressing Ctrl, arguably the fastest and easiest combo there is. Furthermore, it allows you to quickly access your permanent text clips by double-pressing Shift. It also consumes very little memory (under 5 MB), as all simple utilities should (looking at you, ClipboardFusion). Ditto is a close second, but I only care about text so Clibor is the winner.

The last English version of Clibor (v1.4.9) allows you to save up to 1000 clips. However, if you can read Japanese the latest Japanese version (v2.1.0) allows you to save 10000 clips.

I have no problems running ClipX 1.0.3.8 on this Windows 10 Pro machine.
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at Clibor.

Oh, I'll have to give ClipX another try.

You'll find the two killer features that set Clibor apart are Ctrl Ctrl and Shift Shift :).

I just use what' every comes with Windows 10, Apple IOS, Android Oreo 8x. Thus the clipboard always use so much RAM if you don't clear it out. Use to get buffer over runs in the past. I see there are some issues still as for today with all 3 OS systems.
Windows 10 has already a clipboard manager so why to use anything else?
This list feels like outdated. Windows is not the same as 10 years ago.

Back