1Password 8 for Windows affords better performance and a dark mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: 1Password developer AgileBits has announced a new version of its popular password manager for Windows PCs. With 1Password 8, the company says it went back to the drawing board to create the most modern, productive and secure version of the program to date.

It starts with a new design language, codenamed Knox, that jives nicely with Windows 11. There’s also a dark theme for those that prefer a more subdued look, but the enhancements go far deeper than a fresh coat of paint.

The new Watchtower Dashboard provides a quick view of your overall password health, highlighting areas of interest like password strength, reused passwords, compromised websites and items that are either expiring soon or already have.

Quick Access, meanwhile, allows you to find any item you need without having to leave the app you are working in. Simply press Ctrl + Shift + Space to pull up the intelligent query box, which can detect open apps and remember frequently used items for quicker access.

1Password 8 also includes Psst!, the secure password sharing tool announced last month that lets users quickly and easily share credentials with others using a single link.

The password manager is also faster than ever, thanks to some under-the-hood tuning of the Rust-powered core.

Interested parties can grab 1Password 8 from today for Windows 10 or Windows 11. Pricing starts at $2.99 per month for individual accounts, and there’s a 14-day free trial should you want to make sure it’s a good fit before committing.

Permalink to story.

Might be pretty good but when somebody starts asking me for that kind of money my first question is "what happens if they break into my system because your password system was hacked? As of yet I have not received any reply from the many companies I have posted that question to. Guess it's sort of like life insurance ... you'll never get to see it pay off ....

Might be pretty good but when somebody starts asking me for that kind of money my first question is "what happens if they break into my system because your password system was hacked? As of yet I have not received any reply from the many companies I have posted that question to. Guess it's sort of like life insurance ... you'll never get to see it pay off ....
All password are encrypted, and only you are supposed to know the master password.

All password are encrypted, and only you are supposed to know the master password.
because no one ever has stolen passwords and personal information off of anything so far. Encryption keys are not really hard to obtain once you are in the system. Just ask Facebook.
edit: Proof, I forgot you all want one..

All those on-line password managers are just disaster waiting to happen.

I would understand them if you buy a program, download. No subscriptions. Install it locally and it has no actual connection with the network when it works (working in virtual secure enclave sort of). Then yes. It's sensible tool.

This and other like 1Pass make no sense at all. Worst thing about password managers is that influencers and YTrs often are advertisers for this garbage. And people fall for this without even thinking.

All those on-line password managers are just disaster waiting to happen.

I would understand them if you buy a program, download. No subscriptions. Install it locally and it has no actual connection with the network when it works (working in virtual secure enclave sort of). Then yes. It's sensible tool.

This and other like 1Pass make no sense at all. Worst thing about password managers is that influencers and YTrs often are advertisers for this garbage. And people fall for this without even thinking.
Password manager have all of your secure notes and sites in a single file that is locked with your chosen password and 2FA. This means that your password and 2FA code has to be cracked in order for anyone else to get access to your content. so much so much so that if you somehow forget your password you are stuffed because there is no way for you or the password vault can access your file.

There are password manager that are offline, and there are online ones where you can be the one to host the server.

KeePass is an open source program that you can create and maintain password database files. Lose the file, or your password, or the content get corrupted, and the contents are gone. I use this for support and client passwords at my job.

Bitwarden is an open source alternative to the paid online offerings and very, very good. They have online hosting or they have the option to host your own.

Back