480Hz monitors are coming... in a couple of years

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: It’s an exciting time in the world of monitors. With more OLED and mini LED displays on the way, games have never looked so gorgeous. For some companies, however, it’s all about pushing that 360Hz refresh rate even higher—to a blistering 480Hz.

As reported by TFTCentral, AU Optronics and LG Display are both working on their own 480Hz LCD panels. We currently have several 1080p monitors able to hit 360Hz, but AU Optronics wants to push this right up to 480Hz. It also has plans for 1440p@360Hz and 4K@240Hz panels. There’s little information in the report other than plans to start mass production sometime in 2022.

AU Optronics has plenty of experience in high refresh-rate screens. Its IPS-like AHVA panel used in the Nitro XV252Q F is capable of reaching 390Hz. That particular monitor is 24.5-inches,1920 x 1080, and comes with a lightning-fast 0.5ms G2G response time. AU's 480Hz panel may have similar specs.

The report on LG Display offers a few more details. Its 480Hz/1080p panel is expected to be available in a 24.5-inch size only, at least initially. It’s also listed with sRGB color gamut and DisplayHDR400 support. Moreover, LG has discussed optimizing its overdrive control to reduce ghosting and overshoot artifacts while delivering a true 1ms GtG response time.

Like AU Optronics, the monitor is listed for production in 2022, though LG gave a more specific “Q4” timeframe, meaning we’re unlikely to see its 1080p@480Hz and planned 1440p@240Hz+ products until 2023.

Most people aren’t going to care much about moving from 240Hz or 360Hz to 480Hz—some are unlikely to notice any difference—but these monitors will no doubt appeal to competitive gamers looking for an edge in FPS titles such as CS:GO. Given the technology that goes into them, they’re probably going to be pretty expensive for 24.5-inch displays, too.

h/t: Tom's Hardware

Permalink to story.

This resembles the pointless camera megapixels race from 10 years ago, of quantity over quality.

We've got only 2 days left till Samsung's Odyssey Neo G9 release, which is expected to set a higher quality standard. I can't wait... HDR2000 + 240Hz + 5120x1440 promises to be yummy.

Last edited:
What excuse do they have when they loose against 60 htz players.
I win often on unreal tournament and quake on a 60 htz. the ego on some people

I'm happy with 30/60fps, I can barely tell the difference with the sort of games I prefer to play, I get higher frame rates for shooters and other twitch-mechanic games but nah, not for me

Just make 120Hz the default already. I'm sick of 60Hz monitors.

I'm happy with 30/60fps, I can barely tell the difference with the sort of games I prefer to play, I get higher frame rates for shooters and other twitch-mechanic games but nah, not for me

Just say that you don't play games that require high FPS (even though even in slower games the dif between 30 and 60 is huge). I don't believe anyone who says that they can't tell 30 from 60.

Even though I use a 165Hz 1440p monitor myself I would never buy anything like a 360Hz or 480Hz, that is just so pointless, I could see myself MAYBE getting a 240Hz and then go up with resolution but a 120Hz 4K would be perfect for me

165 Hz to 60 Hz is like going back in time. Whoever says otherwise hasn't seen a 144+ Hz monitor up close. Now, granted, 200 Hz and up is probably a bit pointless because of diminishing returns and GPU incapacity to keep up.

Not gonna dispute some medical findings, since I lack the necessary knowledge, but the difference in perceived fluidity is very obvious. Even when dragging a window around.

Even though I use a 165Hz 1440p monitor myself I would never buy anything like a 360Hz or 480Hz, that is just so pointless, I could see myself MAYBE getting a 240Hz and then go up with resolution but a 120Hz 4K would be perfect for me

100% agree.

I don't need stupid refresh rates, I need 4K 60 FPS. Consistently.
Personally 4k 120htz anything after that gets dicey at being able to notice the difference as the level of improvement has a sort of diminishing returns effect. 30-60 and 60-120 are probably the greatest 2 increases you will visually notice.

Not gonna dispute some medical findings, since I lack the necessary knowledge, but the difference in perceived fluidity is very obvious. Even when dragging a window around.

100% agree.
Same , just give me an HDR 800+ 120thz 4k ultrawide with gsync premium and a good gtg time for under $1k, that is all I really want. Focus on getting that done first.

75 fps (75hz) is apparently maximum rate human eye can 'see' according to this article (https://www.healthline.com/health/human-eye-fps). Unsure as to why anyone would want more - unless you have a pet eagle or a falcon (140 fps / hz) which likes playing "Hunting Simulator".
That is sketchy at best, considering actual real world results. See the problem is your eyes don't see in fps or refresh rates, 1 trip to blur busters with a 120htz monitor and you can see a difference on a side comparison, my optometrist has said most of the info is bogus and barley done research at best, he pointed me to a modern Samurai in Japan that physically slices bullets out of the air fired at him. Biologically he said we are all different and although physiology wise we operate the same there are distinctive difference between one person's abilities versus the next, we then we're talking about VR and how there is a noticable difference in motion between headsets capped at 70frames versus 120frames and how many people can visually notice the difference between the two, he games himself, and noticed gamers actually that are exposed to higher frame rates have more perception to changes he is thinking about writing a research paper where the two of us are discussing testing.

{Being} exposed to higher frame rates have more perception to changes he is thinking about writing a research paper where the two of us are discussing testing.
I would love to see the results and the paper. There seems to be very little work in this area though you would think the military would have a significant interest as they have moved into remoting armaments.

60 hz to 120 hz was very noticeable for work tasks and much welcomed since movements are more fluently drawn to the screen. won't want to miss that. for games I dont know, maybe works better for shooters, maybe not.
not sure how it will be from 120 hz to 240 or 480 hz.

whenever I look at 60hz screens now they just feel slow to work with, the eyes adapted to the faster refresh rate. this difference is not comparable to the old crt low frequency flicker where the flickering was a strain to the eyes but more like the eye expects frame updates quicker than they appear on a 60hz screen when they are used to look at a 120 hz screen so the screens feel slow. same effect might happen with 120 hz to 240 / 480 hz.

Seriously though, who cares...? When are we getting 32" ~39" Gaming Monitors w/HDMI 2.1 and 166hz+...?

Lets start with that....

More than 4K 120Hz won't be necessary until we get true VR gaming, and it will take a few decades for that ecossystem to grow out of it's current infancy.

I'm an honest guy and I was one of those *****s that claimed you can't notice the difference 30FPS and 60FPS. Well I got a new beefy video card and while playing MAFIA 3 and GTA max settings I used a special key to DISABLE and ENABLE 30FPS and yes 60FPS is more smooth and fluidly I also notice people in the game walked faster when at 60FPS. The camera view when circling the mouse was more fluid while 30FPS lagged immensely!

4K@240Hz is same throughput as 8K60 and when exactly will GPU's be able to hit that on AAA titles? Probably 5 generations away at least.

All I want is a high gamut, professional OLED 4K120p screen with say 3-5ms GTG.

Back