65-inch TVs are the size of choice for North American families

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: As TrendForce highlights, TV makers engaged in “preemptive stocking” of sets in the second quarter over fears of a 25 percent tariff that could be implemented in the third quarter due to the trade dispute between China and the US. The rumored tariff never came to pass and now with the oversupply situation and weak demand, prices are dropping.

65-inch televisions are now the size of choice for buyers in North America. According to data from WitsView, a division of TrendForce, a “drastic fall” in prices for 65-inch sets has prompted consumers to forego smaller 55-inch sets in favor of the bigger 65-inch panel.

Indeed, prices on large-screen televisions are incredibly low right now. Target is advertising a 55-inch 4K set from Samsung for $399.99 and a 65-incher for just $599.99. I paid 40 percent more for a lowly 50-inch 1080p television although in fairness, that was more than a decade ago (and it’s still kicking – fingers crossed).

TrendForce said most panel manufacturers will probably turn a blind eye to the idea of adjusting production capacity in the third quarter in hopes of maintaining respective market share. That could make for some even more attractive offerings this holiday season for those willing to wait another few months to buy.

Masthead credit: Young Woman Watching Television by Andrey_Popov

Permalink to story.

I paid $1300 for my 65" 4k samsung floor model over 3 years ago and I thought that was a steal!

Although, to be fair, it still has tech in it that hasn't trickled down yet. Full array local dimming QLED

Still rocking 42 and a 47" TVs from 2007 , prefer them substantially to my 40" 4K Samsung or 43" 2015 LG since older movies/dvds fill the screen properly and I don't need to mess with settings to get rid of that aggravating home video feel on the 4K Samsung.

42 incher here. Do people still use TV size as a penis measuring contest? I haven't turned on my TV in forever, it's collecting dust.

70" models have recently cracked the $800 barrier while the 65" models are $200 - $300 cheaper.

Everyone can have a gigantic TV now.

None of my TVs are that big. 50 in the living room, 50 in the home theater (I wish it was a 65), 42 in the bedroom, 28 in my shop and a 19 in my kids room.

I bought a 4k 65" vizio E series on clearance a few months ago.

I love it. Coming from a 37" "1080p" (was really 768 P with some stupid upscaling BS from the early days of widescreen) TV the picture is so crisp and clear, with deep blacks and vibrant colors. I love it.

....[ ]....I love it. Coming from a 37" "1080p" (was really 768 P with some stupid upscaling BS from the early days of widescreen) TV the picture is so crisp and clear, with deep blacks and vibrant colors. I love it.
Assuming you're using OTA TV, the fed standard gives the broadcasters a choice between 1080i & 720p. The 720p obviously needing no tampering with scaling internal to the TV.. DVD players via HDMI are a different story, but they will scale to 720p, your max screen resolution, instead of 1080p..

I have an old Best Buy cheapo store brand, (built by Funai), which has a wonderful picture. (CCFL backlight).

However, I"m using a Windows box as a DVR, and the Windows desktop at that 37" size, looks like crap at 720p

Still rocking 42 and a 47" TVs from 2007 , prefer them substantially to my 40" 4K Samsung or 43" 2015 LG since older movies/dvds fill the screen properly and I don't need to mess with settings to get rid of that aggravating home video feel on the 4K Samsung.
I have the same horrid scaling issues with a Vizio 55" 4K set. It can't resolve secondary, (standard def 640 x 480), OTA TV channels to save its life.

The issue is just as bad with my collection of DVD players from over the years. The net result of it is, I have to use a Blu-ray player, if I want DVDs to scale successfully.

I even briefly considered bringing my 46" 1080p set out of storage (back bedroom), and going with that instead.

I have the same horrid scaling issues with a Vizio 55" 4K set. It can't resolve secondary, (standard def 640 x 480), OTA TV channels to save its life.

The issue is just as bad with my collection of DVD players from over the years. The net result of it is, I have to use a Blu-ray player, if I want DVDs to scale successfully.

I even briefly considered bringing my 46" 1080p set out of storage (back bedroom), and going with that instead.

And going to old consoles; they look atrocious on newer TVs; I still have an old 27 inch Zenith for my N64.

Back