6800GT - Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is this:

First off my computer never used to freeze until about 2 months ago. Then it started freezing in WoW commonly. The problem went away for about 2 weeks after fiddling with some bios settings (Like Taking off hyperthreading, changing AGP Aperture, etc etc)....I think it was just coincidence that it stopped freezing. As of today the computer is freezing even while browsing the net or using ventrilo or MIRC.

I have speedfan running and the software from the nvidia drivers (91.31 I believe) and they are showing my card at about 60 degrees Celsius. I know right off the start you're going to say it's a heat issue but even with the case off and a powerful house fan blowing on the mobo the problem persists.

I might be inclined to think its a PSU issue but again this problem did not occur previously, and now it does. I have a raidmax 420W power supply, which gives 13 amps on the +12V. So again, I think its *POSSIBLE* that it is a PSU issue but highly unlikely due to the fact that this DIDN"T happen until recently.

My system:
Asus P4P800SE motherboard
1gig Kingston RAM
P4 3.2ghz Prescott
XFX 6800GT
Raidmax 420W PSU (13 amps on +12V).

Thanks for your help!

Power supplies can fail gradually. It's not always all or nothing. Yeah, 13 amps is weak. Do you have another psu you can test with?

13 amps is extremely weak. I bet you have two 13A rails, equaling 26A on the 12V rail, which is still somewhat low.

You can get a good PSU for under 40 dlls. I got a very good FSP ATX400-PA 400W PSU with 36 amps for under 40. It should handle your system very well.

Also, how hot is your CPU? I see it's a Prescott, so it may be running too hot.

BTW, Welcome to Techspot!! :) :)

hey man, i got the same problem, but i have 6600 g force, ill be playing WoW or doing normal applications like Msn or limewire and it will freeze on me, everything is displayed but i cant move my cursor or anything. I'm not sure what the problem is either, it happened to my old computer aswell when I was running the ati, if you find out the problem let me know =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back