8600 GT or 7900 GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd probably go with the 8600GT because it's DirectX 10 compatible and its core clock and memory clock frequencies are much faster than the 7900GS. The only problem I have with the 8600GT is its 128 bit memory interface, but its faster memory speed should greatly help to overcome that "fault". Either card will give you 100fps plus in counter-strike 1.6 and playable performance in Source too.

i just dont want to lag in the smoke cuz on my moms computer she has a geforce 7300 LE and i get 70 - 76 not in smoke. and like 50 in 1 smoke but if its like 3 im down to like 20

I sent back the 8800 GT because it has 128 bits, and the fact that the bandwidth is 22.4 GB/SEC. The 7900 is more exrreme gaming. It has 256 bits and a bandwidth of 44.16. The cores amd memories are close. Most games are directX9 at this time. When you look on the back of the box that the 8600comes in, it compares it directly to the 7900 series of GPU's and says that the 8600 is not extreme gaming and that the 7900's are. Good Luck.

Ahh CRAP Both of my links are 7600GS not 7900GS. I should have been more carefull. But he did say he wanted to play Counter-Strike 1.6. Half-Life came out in 98 or 99, so either card will kick that game around.

im going to play CS CS:S DOD CZ starcraft and maybe starcraft 2 i hope its not running on direct 10 and diablo II.

I researched the 7900 GS a lot and that's what i went with. It has some better specs and the 8600 GT offers direct x 10 but there aren't even any games out that require DX10 so i would go with the 7900 GS, especially because it is cheap and you can get two of them to SLI

well your old card doesn't go to waste and in some cases its cheaper. It just takes all the pressure off one card and evenly splits it between the two cards. Increasing the overall perfromance

I don't know about the 4 displays. But if you linked or"SLI'd" two of those 7900's together, you would 'feel' the video! Good Luck.

well im going to make a decent gaming computer under the price of 700 including the OS. thanks for all the help.

For your question about the 4 monitors PCI ex16 SLI cards can only support 2 monitors as of now. The only way to get higher then that (like 4) is if you use AGP cards.

forceware drivers allow 4 monitors on the nvidia cards, you just need 2 cards on your machine. And that's pci e/sli compatible.

Wow you can do 4 monitors on PCI E? that must be expensive but why would you need 4 screens anyway.

umm i have 2 lcd's right now, ill get 4 this summer, most people do it because they can, not many need it at all.

Its pretty pricy for an AGP board though, i'm guessing that PCI E will support many more different Video Cards then AGP slots will in the future.

4 screens, i guess it would look like you were pro 1337 but i'd rather buy 1 high quality big screen then 4 mediocre ones.

The DUAL 775-VSTA supports AGP and PCI-E cards, besides supporting DDR and DDR2 RAM as well. Looking at it that way, the price is justified.

Holy crap it supports 2 memory types. If that works that board is really nice but if you put in two different types of memory wouldn't the speeds be way off and they would clock different times. Which would cripple your RAM wouldn't it? or is it just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back