Ad Aware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

I ran Ad Aware this morning after a long gap, first it came up "Error whilst loading the reference file" ....clicked OK, & started the run, which completed in less than 5 seconds, it usually takes several minutes, it said 17000 files scanned, objects removed 150, no new objects, giving the current time & date, when I open the log file it has a long list, presumably 150, but when I open the quarantine list there is nothing on it.
It also states: "Warning, ref file not found or corrupted, & "Warning, ref file not loaded or invalid"
I know I should run it more often, each day as now I get an average of between 20 & 30 "silly" e-mails, some of which are obvious viruses, so I plod through them, "double" deleting every one, of course.
Is it a fault with Ad Aware, do you think.

Maurice.

You could probably fix that by updating the reference file. Once Ad-Aware is loaded, there should be a button written "Look for updates" or something of the likes.

Maurice, I actually experienced a similar problem. I was unable to update or scan. I finally removed and reinstalled the program. I update a couple times a week along with Spybot S&D and have had no porblems. Good luck!

Maurice,

Don't know if this is part of your problem or not, but Ad-Aware changed their free program several months ago. It is now Ad-Aware SE. If you are still using Ad-Aware 6, then that's your problem. Delete it and download the new program. Hopefully, that will solve your problem.

Good Luck!

Thanks, guys, Didou, I did as you said, & all is OK now, or it is now, now that I've deleted the 106 items it found, including several "Bargain Buddy" high risk items!, it must have been a different problem for Photo601, or p'raps he didn't try your suggestion first, will be interesting to see, next time I boot-up, how many unwanted e-mails are there.
Photo601; like the fact that you show your rig's specs etc., in your profile, a lot of new members don't, lately, which is a shame, [have a look at mine]
jshields & donthateme; I will look at updating to SE, thanks.

Maurice
ok.gif

Maurice said:
Thanks, guys, Didou, I did as you said, & all is OK, or it is now, now that I've deleted the 106 items it found, including several "Bargain Buddy" high risk items!, it must have been a different problem for Photo601, or p'raps he didn't try your suggestion first, will be interesting to see, next time I boot-up, how many unwanted e-mails are there.
Photo601; like the fact that you show your rig's specs etc., in your profile, a lot of new members don't, lately, which is a shame, [have a look at mine]
jshields & donthateme; I will look at updating to SE, thanks.

Maurice
ok.gif

Didou, brilliant result, when I booted up a couple of hours later, there was only ONE false e-mail!!! thanks mate.

Maurice.
yahoo.gif

Actually , I did re-download and re-install. It was then I discovered AA had switched to a new release. That being AA SE. Apparently I wasn't as specific as I should have been. ;)
As for the system specs, I figured why not. I figure someone always has an opinion on the subject, and some of it is even worthwhile advice. I am always game to learn something new...

No, no, Photo 601, I wasn't criticising, regarding your system specs, if you don't mind me saying, they seem quite modest, like mine, so I take it you don't live in the U.S., or have I put my foot in it??, [no offence intended, American members!] I live in England.
Welcome to TS by the way, have you looked round the gallery yet?, looking forward to seeing your avatar if & when you choose it, you can import one if you want.

Maurice

More complications, [what is it with computers??] I decided to d/load & install the 7.0 version of AVG free edition, but when I tried to uninstall 6.0, it came up;-

C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. System file is not suitable for runningMS DOS & Microsoft Windows applications.

If I can't delete this, what happens after the AVG cut-off date, it won't just delete itself I guess?...... should I d/load the 7.0 anyway?
The only other alternative seems to be to go for another anti-virus completely, your views would be appreciated as always.

Maurice

Firstly I must apologise, I have posted an AVG query in the wrong thread, see above, could someone put it in the correct one, I don't think that I can do it, can I??, thanks.

As to Ad Aware, each day I run it before I go on-line, & it comes up with about a dozen "new" items, all of which were "activated" it says, at the exact time/date that I boot-up. Most of those present are Bargain Buddy's, I delete them all , but next day, there are the "false" e-mails, as many as ever, is it normal for them to generate as fast as this, or have I got something letting them all in by the back door?, I have run my AV, but nothing shows up.
I am going into hospital for about a week, there'll be a load there when I get home, I was away for two days recently, & there was over a hundred, I just double delete them all, anyway, but it is tedious.

Maurice

Maurice said:
As to Ad Aware, each day I run it before I go on-line, & it comes up with about a dozen "new" items, all of which were "activated" it says, at the exact time/date that I boot-up. Most of those present are Bargain Buddy's, I delete them all , but next day, there are the "false" e-mails, as many as ever, is it normal for them to generate as fast as this, or have I got something letting them all in by the back door?, I have run my AV, but nothing shows up.
I am going into hospital for about a week, there'll be a load there when I get home, I was away for two days recently, & there was over a hundred, I just double delete them all, anyway, but it is tedious.

Maurice[/B]

I know it's only been a short while but is there anybody that can help on this please? there are now "high risk" ones for example, Vendor;101 Solutions;-Reg Value, their comment "uhwtsr"....what the heck is uhwtsr, has anyone got a clue on that? :confused:

Maurice.

Can you guys help, please, as a matter of emergency!!! I have just d/l the free version of AVG 7.0, as my 6.0 version was being scrapped at the end of this this month, now I find that although I can recieve e-mails, I can't send any, each time, I instantly get the message shown below, [I have deleted the e-mail address of the recipient, as per TS protocol] my first thought was to uninstall AVG 7.0, & install an alternative, assuming that that one would be compatible with Outlook express, AVG give me a Tiscali Support e-mail address "in case of difficulties" which is no use, as it wouldn't get sent of course, I thought I might go to their [AVG] website to see what they say, but, with hindsight, these sort of queries take time to get an answer, as you no doubt know, personally, I think that my best option is to uninstall 7.o version etc, what is your general consensus on this please?
I need urgent help, as I have people abroad, expecting e-mails, mainly about my forthcoming hospitalisation, in a couple of weeks time.
Thanks,

Maurice
----------------------------------------------------------- This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------: Your host [([62.137.152.3]) [62.137.152.3]:1222] is not permitted to relay
through this SMTP server. smtp.tiscali.co.uk is for the exclusive
use of customers of Tiscali. You need to be connected to the internet
via a Tiscali access product to use this service. If you believe this
message is in error, please contact support@uk.tiscali.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this
message. Try to send the message again.

Should you need assistance, please contact your administrator or your
internet service provider.

Maurice, for clarification, is it the AV program that's not updating, or are you unable to send email? I wouldn't think AVG would stop you from sending email. It's equally possible the email server is having problems.

Photo601,no, I think that it's because I didn't notice that this improved 7.0 probably has to be done through Tiscali, [heaven knows why] who, as you know is an internet provider, I already have a very good provider, which has stood me in very good stead, for well over two years now, & I just do not want to change.

With all due respects to Photo601, surely someone there at TS would like to come in on this, come on guys, where are you, when I need you?, or are you getting tired of this oldster wittering on?....I don't think that's the case....is it?

Maurice

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but worth taking a look at. I see you do have some email options, you might take a look at them. This is a FAQ from AVG's site, might not be the answer, but take a look at the email scanner.

How to certify e-mails with AVG FREE Edition

* Start AVG control Center by double clicking on the AVG icon in the system tray (on the right bottom corner of your screen)
* Select the Email Scanner tab and make sure that the following options are checked:
- Check incoming messages
- Certify incoming messages
- Check outgoing messages
- Certify outgoing messages
* Click on the "Advanced Settings" button.
* Make sure that you have the proper options selected under the "Incoming Mail" and "Outgoing Mail" tabs.
* Click on the "OK" bottom.
* Send a test mail to test the settings. You should see the Certification text attached at the bottom of the message.

Hey Maurice, when I read this, I remembered that you mentioned Tiscali. Not saying it has anything to do with your problem, it's just interesting reading, about problems at least some people are having with Tiscali.

Maurice, after reading olefarte's post and the accompanying link, I wouldn't want to do buisness with them either. This company would get hammered beyond belied if they pulled that garbage in the states. If not solely by the public hue and cry alone. :knock:

Thanks, guys, from what I read on your link, Olefarte, [ol' friend!] I too, want nothing to do with Tiscali, but it looks like I have no choice with the new AVG 7.0, true I have not gone to their site & asked them, but as I previously said, that usually takes time to get an answer, & I haven't got that amount of time.
So, I think it's time to get down to the nitty-gritty, I'm down to the wire, so to speak, & I have urgent e-mails to send, which I can't, so, I want a chorus of "uninstall AVG 7.0", I know that it probably goes against your principles, guys, but can you advise me to do this, I'm itching to do so, but can you see snags?, & any recommendations as to what I should d/l to replace?, someone mentioned "Anti-Vir", among others, & Photo601, how come you didn't have my problems with 7.0, I wonder??
Thanks for staying with me on this,

Maurice
beer.gif

Maurice, you didn't comment on wether you looked at the outgoing emails, as in my post a couple posts above. Did you check that? That could be your only problem. You could have it not check outgoing mail, at least till this crisis is over with. I only used AVG for a short time, just to check it out, or I might be more help, but I had no problems with it.

I know Maurice does not want ANY advice from me, but should he not check his email-settings in Outlook Express?
His SMTP (=email-sender) should be the one from his own ISP, not from Tiscali.
He probably got that AVG from a Tiscali CD, rather than from www.grisoft.com.

I promise I will not offer anymore advise to Maurice.

I didn't check out-going mail, because it didn't get sent, I'm not being sarcastic, as I said, all I get is an instant e-mail from AVG telling me that they couldn't send, & stating why.
Are you saying that I can go somewhere, & stop it checking out-going?....didn't know that, so I bring up the AVG banner, & it allows me to uncheck "check outgoing"?
I'm asking first, because I don't want to do something that I can't reverse,....you know me!!

Maurice

RBS, we've had our differences, but it's a new year, & I'd like to let bye-gones be bye gones, if you agree?, I miss our banter, I've learnt my lesson, if I want to "chew the fat", I send private messages.
A short history;- over a year ago, I d/loaded the free version AVG 6.0, this year they said that they are closing 6.0, & bringing out the 7.0 as a replacement, cut-off date Jan 31st, so I d/loaded the 7.0, & the troubles began.
Can I say that I believe that AVG pre-determined the Tiscali arrangement, heaven knows why, I certainly didn't specify it, as, presumably, I am expected to change to Tiscali, & I don't intend to do that, why should I?
If you don't mind me asking, you've read my posts, what's your view on me uninstalling AVG 7.0, as a last resort?, believe me, I would appreciate your opinion, [new year, & all that!]

Maurice
beer.gif
<<<Guinness?

As some of you suggested, I opened "properties" in both OE, & Ry Dial, [is that hat you meant, RBS?] no evidence of a change to Tiscali, but in Ry Dial, [General] it states; "modified January 15th 2005" this date means nothing to me, & is over ten days before I d/loaded AVG 7.0.

Maurice

OE, Tools/Accounts/Mail tab/select your ISP/click Properties/Servers tab/Outgoinf mail (SMTP) should be : smtp.your_isp.co.uk and is probably smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back