Alan Wake Remastered is coming to PC, Xbox and PlayStation this fall

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Remedy Entertainment is starting the short work week off on the right foot, confirming rumors over the weekend that a remaster of Alan Wake is indeed in the pipeline (and has been for a while now). Complete launch details haven't yet been shared, but we do know the game will be available in time for the holidays.

The developer is partnering with Epic Games Publishing on the project, meaning it’ll be available across a wide range of platforms including the PC, Xbox Series, the Xbox One family and for the first time ever, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

Sam Lake, creative director at Remedy Entertainment, said the remaster will be the original experience that so many players fell in love with all those years ago (indeed, it’s been more than 11 years since it first dropped on the Xbox 360). “We did not want to change that,” Lake said. But all of the visuals, including the character model of Wake himself and the game’s cinematics, have been updated and improved with next-gen upgrades.

“This is for you. I hope you enjoy it, either again, like meeting an old friend, or for the first time.” -- Sam Lake, creative director at Remedy Entertainment.

The game tells the story of thriller novelist Alan Wake as he attempts to unravel the mystery behind his wife’s disappearance during a vacation. All the while, events from Wake's most recent book - which he doesn't remember writing - start playing out in real life. Two additional "episodes" were made available as DLC, although there was no mention of them being rolled into the remaster.

In 2017, it seemed as though a licensing issue related to its soundtrack would spell the end of the game’s run on digital storefronts, but fortunately it returned to Steam more than a year later.

Lake said Alan Wake Remastered will be available this fall.

Permalink to story.

Doesn’t say anywhere if it’s free for existing owners. I’m guessing not if it’s being pushed by Epic (and I have it on steam). If not then I doubt il buy it. I bought the first one and never got round to playing it!

Great game, but I`m sick of remasters. They all ask full price for a little more detail. Easy money. Besides, I can fire up my old Xbox and play it as much as I want. This is only for people that never heard of .the game.

Game still plays great on the PC and Xbox via backward compatibility. It is a great game, but really doesnt need a remaster. This is just a money grab.

Game still plays great on the PC and Xbox via backward compatibility. It is a great game, but really doesnt need a remaster. This is just a money grab.
Agreed. Not that updated graphics wouldn't be noticed or appreciated by some, but as is it looks pretty decent considering it's age and the gameplay is still plenty fun to this day.

Another thing to consider is that remasters are not primarily for existing fans and instead a way to perhaps attract new fans. Younger gamers are more concerned about the bling of flashier or more modern graphics so slapping a fresh coat of paint on a classic could spark their interest.

Doesn’t say anywhere if it’s free for existing owners. I’m guessing not if it’s being pushed by Epic (and I have it on steam). If not then I doubt il buy it. I bought the first one and never got round to playing it!
I doubt it will be free to existing owners. I also have the original in and have never played it either, got it in a steam sale for $5.

I honestly tried. After really enjoying Control, I decided to give Alan Wake a shot. The game-play and such is still pretty solid. No real complaints there.

My issue is with Wake himself. I simply do not care for his character, nor do I relate to him. Maybe after all these years, I have changed. Maybe if I played this in my 30's, when it released, relating would have been easier.

So tell me Wake fans, should I keep plugging away at it? Is there actually some character development? I have played about 7 hours so far.

I honestly tried. After really enjoying Control, I decided to give Alan Wake a shot. The game-play and such is still pretty solid. No real complaints there.

My issue is with Wake himself. I simply do not care for his character, nor do I relate to him. Maybe after all these years, I have changed. Maybe if I played this in my 30's, when it released, relating would have been easier.

So tell me Wake fans, should I keep plugging away at it? Is there actually some character development? I have played about 7 hours so far.

I'm not sure I'm a "Wake fan" but I played it last year at the age of 31. Like you, I loved Control and decided to finally fire it up on Steam.

It's an okay game but I'm with you on the main character. Alan Wake (and his annoying friend) are just not interesting. The world around them is VERY INTERESTING! Remedy knocked it out of the park with the setting and many of the less-important characters (like the female ranger).

I'm glad there will be a remaster. Even a moderate update (say, better textures and/or physics) would be greatly appreciated. But it's not going to change Alan Wake from being a mediocre Stephen King-esque clone. [And, the older a game gets, the less graphics become relevant and the more a good story & gameplay saves a game.]

I'm not sure I'm a "Wake fan" but I played it last year at the age of 31. Like you, I loved Control and decided to finally fire it up on Steam.

It's an okay game but I'm with you on the main character. Alan Wake (and his annoying friend) are just not interesting. The world around them is VERY INTERESTING! Remedy knocked it out of the park with the setting and many of the less-important characters (like the female ranger).

I'm glad there will be a remaster. Even a moderate update (say, better textures and/or physics) would be greatly appreciated. But it's not going to change Alan Wake from being a mediocre Stephen King-esque clone. [And, the older a game gets, the less graphics become relevant and the more a good story & gameplay saves a game.]
Thanks for the well written reply. I agree! The ranger is pretty great. I will just keep doing what I have been: picking away at it bit by bit.

Back