Baldur's Gate 3 resumes awards show dominance with GDC and BAFTA nominations

Daniel Sims

Staff
GOTY: Larian's critically acclaimed RPG dominated the Golden Joystick Awards, The Game Awards, and the DICE Awards, securing numerous accolades across all three events, including Game of the Year. This winning streak is poised to continue at the BAFTA Games Awards and the GDC Awards this spring. Other strong contenders for both upcoming events include Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and Cocoon.

The lists of nominees for the 2024 BAFTA Games Awards and GDC Awards are now available. Anyone who followed prior awards ceremonies for games released in 2023 shouldn't be surprised to see which titles lead in nominations. The BAFTA winners will be announced on April 11, while the GDC Awards are scheduled for March 20.

Although Baldur's Gate 3 – one of the most critically acclaimed games in recent memory – was the most nominated title at both the Golden Joystick Awards and The Game Awards, it was placed third at the DICE Awards, behind Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake 2. Nonetheless, Larian's RPG clinched the Game of the Year at DICE and has returned to the forefront with nominations at both the BAFTA and GDC awards.

Baldur's Gate 3 has received 11 BAFTA nominations, including three for Best Leading Actor and two for Best Supporting Actor. The other nominations are for Best Game, Artistic Achievement, Multiplayer, Music, Narrative, and the EE Player's Choice. Spider-Man 2 follows closely with 10 nominations, including two for Best Leading Actor, while Alan Wake 2 has received eight. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is in fourth place with seven nominations.

Although the same titles dominate the GDC Awards, the rankings are starkly different. Baldur's Gate 3 and Zelda are tied with seven nominations each. Both are contenders for Game of the Year, Best Audio, Best Design, Best Narrative, Best Technology, and the Innovation Award. Additionally, Baldur's Gate 3 is nominated for Social Impact, and Zelda for Best Visual Art.

A notable surprise at the GDC Awards is Cocoon. This puzzle game, created by the lead designer of Limbo and Inside, has garnered five nominations, including Game of the Year, and is also competing for four BAFTA awards. Cocoon has won one award at the Golden Joystick Awards, The Game Awards, and the DICE Awards each and was named Eurogamer's Game of the Year.

Permalink to story.

One of the if not the best game ever made.

Not even close.

Tons of people don't like turnbased + dice roll, which will be an instant turn off for them.

RNG combat is just boring.

Last edited:
Not even close.

Tons of people don't like turnbased + dice roll, which will be an instant turn off for them.

You are just kinda wrong though, even if you don't like the turn based combat, this game is above and beyond what any game has done before. The level of detail and interactivity is just soo far ahead of anything else that's come before it.

Hell I didn't like turn based combat, let alone the RNG dice roll. BG3 was the third? maybe fourth game I've ever tried giving it a go? I still think BG3 might be worthy of "best game made so far".

You are just kinda wrong though, even if you don't like the turn based combat, this game is above and beyond what any game has done before. The level of detail and interactivity is just soo far ahead of anything else that's come before it.

Hell I didn't like turn based combat, let alone the RNG dice roll. BG3 was the third? maybe fourth game I've ever tried giving it a go? I still think BG3 might be worthy of "best game made so far".
Nah its overrated as hell and praised mostly because its not live service.

There's tons of threads about how overrated the game is. Plenty of people was let down by BG3.

I played it, and deleted it after 20 hours. Not even in my top 100 of best games. Boring and slow for the most part.

The level of detail is not even great haha. Tons of bugs on release. Broken Act 2, Act 3. Hopefully improved since release.

Might retry it in some years. Backlog is huge tho. Might never touch it again.

Not even close.

Not liking a certain genre doesn't mean the game is bad. It just means you don't like that type of game.

I know plenty of people who don't like FPS games. Does that mean HL2 is not one of the best games ever made? Obviously not how it works.

Yeah I don't like the genre, glad I got it for free. Made uninstalling easy.

There's tons of threads on reddit how overrated BG3 is, I am not alone thinking this.

Yeah I don't like the genre, glad I got it for free. Made uninstalling easy.

There's tons of threads on reddit how overrated BG3 is, I am not alone thinking this.
no, there aren't "tons".

we have a game that is ultra mega popular. there will always be some people who don't like it, but you can't possibly disregard the vast majority. it makes no sense.

no, there aren't "tons".

we have a game that is ultra mega popular. there will always be some people who don't like it, but you can't possibly disregard the vast majority. it makes no sense.
Ultra popular? Haha, numbers are dropping rapidly and have been dropping since release.

Steam 15th place and dropping, with less than 50k avg players right now.

Active player count is down 90% since release.
BG3 is beaten by tons of games in popularity.

Reality calls.

Ultra popular? Haha, numbers are dropping rapidly

Steam top 15 and dropping, with less than 50k avg players right now

Active player count is down 90% since release
"Haha, numbers are dropping rapidly" - what? do you even understand just how popular this game is? it's a single player title, not a live service game. The fact that after over half a year it still has 100k average concurrent players on steam is wild.

here's what a real drop looks like for an overrated single player game:

FYI you don't know how to read the steam charts. looking at just the low side of a day makes zero sense. it literally says this next to that 50k you mentioned (which is not the average of the day, just how many were online 20-30 minutes ago): 113,261 24-hour peak

Last edited:
"Haha, numbers are dropping rapidly" - what? do you even understand just how popular this game is? it's a single player title, not a live service game. The fact that after half a year it still has 100k concurrent players on steam is wild.

here's what a real drop looks like for an overrated single player game:
Elden Ring has same amount of active players after more than 2 years.
And BG3 is 6 months.

Keep dreaming. Nothing about BG3 numbers are impressive.

I can keep talking about how overrated this game is forever. One of the biggest letdowns ever. Mediocre story, boring gameplay, easy combat, tons of bugs.

Elden Ring has same amount of active players after more than 2 years.
And BG3 is 6 months.

Keep dreaming. Nothing about BG3 numbers are impressive.

I can keep talking about how overrated this game is forever. One of the biggest letdowns ever. Mediocre story, boring gameplay, easy combat, tons of bugs.
You are literally using one of the best games ever made in your comparisons, which sold 23 million copies since it launched, to tell me that another game is not popular because you can't find another single player title that works.

I don't get it. How is that even a counter-argument? You are just telling me that for a game to not be "overrated" it has to beat elden ring or at least match it :joy:

I don't have to do anything, you are destroying your own arguments 🤣

FYI here's how you use numbers, let me enlighten you. on the 21s of feb Elden Ring saw the release of the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC trailer which brought numbers back up to 100k from 50k. The numbers aren't high randomly, the game is getting new content.

I fear that you might tell me that Elden Ring is an overrated game too because it dropped to as low as 20k last summer.

And I know I've already explained to you to stop looking at the moment to moment concurrent numbers since you might misread interpret them, but you just refuse to do it.

Here's an example of an screenshot taken just now that I can use to destroy your "top 15", "low number of players" weak arguments although I know that at different hours the list will look very different.
Screenshot 2024-03-12 233956.png

Last edited:
You are literally using one of the best games ever made in your comparisons, which sold 23 million copies since it launched, to tell me that another game is not popular because you can't find another single player title that works.

I don't get it. How is that even a counter-argument? You are just telling me that for a game to not be "overrated" it has to beat elden ring or at least match it :joy:

I don't have to do anything, you are destroying your own arguments 🤣

FYI here's how you use numbers, let me enlighten you. on the 21s of feb Elden Ring saw the release of the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC trailer which brought numbers back up to 100k from 50k. The numbers aren't high randomly, the game is getting new content.

I fear that you might tell me that Elden Ring is an overrated game too because it dropped to as low as 20k last summer.

And I know I've already explained to you to stop looking at the moment to moment concurrent numbers since you might misread interpret them, but you just refuse to do it.

Here's an example of an screenshot taken just now that I can use to destroy your "top 15", "low number of players" weak arguments although I know that at different hours the list will look very different.
View attachment 89498
"just taken now"

LMAO

Keep rambling

"just taken now"

LMAO

Keep rambling
I'll edit this comment with the screenshot metadata when I come back from work later today.

until I do, you can open the image in a new tab and look at it's name. and I'll also post this new screenshot so you can tell me how it is also fake:

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 09.31.29.png

Here's what I want you to do:
1. read the highlighted section of the chart
2. write the date and hour in your comment
3. write the number which is in bold
4. write if that number is bigger or smaller compared to the one in my original screenshot for concurrent players
5. write if you still believe I'm lying about when the screenshot was taken
6. if you still do, post your own screenshot with an highlighted peak player count for that day that is different from the one above

Last edited:
Back