All the games I play crash after playing them for 5 mins or less

ItmeFishy

I load up csgo and the game is good for 3 mins, It then freezes, there is no lag or anything it just freezes. I have better specs then the ones need to play the game, So I don't know why the game keep freezing. It is like this with other games as well. I have csgo at the lowest it can go, but it just doesn't work.

If you want to see a video I can send you it using discord (Itz Me#0001)

Hard to be definitive, but your problem has all the hallmarks of a heat issue. What video card do you have, and have you cleaned its cooler recently?

I have a gtx 650 I am going to upgrade to the gtx 1080, I haven't cleaned the cooler recently, So I will try that and get back to you.

(I had to order thermal paste, So I will get back to you when that comes)

Last edited:
Also I can run Minecraft and 2d games just fine, but when it is csgo or fall guys or something like that, I can't run it, it freezes.

Your card will draw more power in those scenarios. So that fits the scenario of a heat (or possibly PSU-related) issue.

I would say heat, because that is close to minimum CS specs. That is an old card so it probably needs new thermal paste and has a lot of dust as well. Make sure the fan isn't blocked, try putting on more thermal paste, and clean it with a cloth or compressed air.

By upgrade, do you mean the 1080 you referenced? It'll work with your CPU, but that card draws something like 3X the power of your old one. So you need to be sure your power supply can handle it, and you have the case fans to exhaust the extra heat.

Yes, you can clean and re-paste the CPU. It's probably not the thing that's causing the problem, but it's good to clean it every now and then.

Ok so I cleaned my GPU, but now why I play a game my screen turns black then says "No Input", Idk what is happening, Also when I watch a show lines will be on the screen. I know it is screen tearing, But how do I fix that?

I am weighing in kind of later here, if you check this chart for the GTX 650 it is way way down there in performance and a I5-2000 series CPU is 8 years old. It is time for newer isn't it on both counts? A GTX 1080 is a huge leap up:

Big Thanks to Techspot for posting this chart of performance! =)

1080p Card perf.png

Last edited:
A I5-2400 scores 1569 in single thread performance:

Single thread performance is mostly what you can look at to measure gaming performance when paired with the proper GPU on the above chart.

You could drive that GTX 1080 you have your eye on with any system that is more modern (even a few years old)... or new and have an amazing experience compared to your current struggle.

Example: Ryzen 3100 that scores 2439 single core performance..

Pair that with a Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Or Asus B450 board) and Kingston 8GB 2666MHz kit HX426C16FB3K2/8 and you might even be able to reuse your case and PSU (might need a new PSU..depends on what you have).

That you for the info and such, so when I am ready to upgrade I will come back here. (Also I have a 500 w PSU, should I upgrade that?)

(Also I have a 500 w PSU, should I upgrade that?)
To give you a perfectly correct answer, we'd need to know your cpu, along with everything else in your pc, but you are probably OK with that 500w PSU. That assumes the following though:

- You upgrade to a GTX 1080 (or other card with TDP 180w or less)
- Your system isn't overclocked
-- Your CPU is 120w TDP or less)
- You don't have an extraordinary amount of ram or drives installed
- Your old PSU hasn't degraded significantly over the last several years.

Last edited:
A 500w PSU is OK but PSU quality always concerns me. I am glad you are asking. If you can afford to switch out the PSU then you should. I have had really good luck with Seasonic and Corsair PSUs. You only need a 500w-550w so no need to spend extra money if you are going with the equipment I listed. I chose those parts because that is as low as you can go and still get good stuff. There is always bigger-badder-better =)

Back