AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Review: Gaming-First CPU

I gotta see 1440p. I'd consider the 3D in a year or two at about $300CAD if the QHD perf is there in future games.

I think it's RPL that is supposed to have 68MB L3 or L2+L3. Should be interesting. AMD seems to have struggled with shipping as many server parts as they'd like for the last little while, TR PRO is tied up at Lenovo leaving others with nothing, so yea, here's to hoping the 5800X3D will be in stock and remain that way.

Perhaps when Techspot tests more games, you could add 1440p results and include a 12700(K)? Thanks for this review btw. Another banger.

Last edited:
Who's gonna spend that kind of money on a CPU to play at 1080p. Pointless.

I agree that no one is going to pair up any CPU with a 3090Ti to play at 1080p, but perhaps you fail to understand the reasoning behind using 1080p in the testing? If you're running the test at 4k, you really aren't going to see a difference because at 4k the limiting factor is going to be the GPU. When you're testing things at a lower resolution, you're putting more work on the CPU and that is how you want to view the scope of things - test the CPU more than the GPU to see what it is capable of.

TPU tested 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 4k. You can head over there to read up on W1zzard's review if you want more data. TPU showed similar results at the 1080p, the 12900k was just slightly faster. At 1440p is where the 5800X3D closed that gap and just barely pulled ahead of the 12900k. 4k resolution there wasn't much of a difference between all the CPUs, just like all previous testing has shown.

TPU couldn't get the system to boot with DDR4 3800 (I think 1866 was the fastest stable they could run), so it was nice to see that TS got a stable setup with the max RAM speed possible. It was interesting to see that just that slight difference from 3200 to 3800 could pull net upwards of an extra 5% performance in some games.

Anyone that is strictly gaming and doesn't do much else with their computer, the 5800X3D might be a good choice for a build. Other then that, it does fall flat in pretty much any other CPU test since it is clocked slower than the normal 5800X. I see it as a good chip for gaming, overall, but not so good for all around use if you have other needs out of your computer. Right now the 5900X is priced around $400, that might be a great deal for those looking to build something new or if Intel is your flavor, look at the 12700K, that's a good route as well. I see no need to drop more than that on a CPU unless you just want the most expensive things for bragging rights.

I do love that AMD has somehow decided they compete with the 12900K (and even 12900KS)... there is no comparison here... the CPUs are for completely different things!

If you want the fastest desktop CPU, period, you go 12900.... this will cost you almost double the 58003D and will run applications as fast as a 5950 and games faster than anything...

BUT... if you only want gaming, then 12500, 12700 are the Intel CPUs that compare with the 58003D.... and yes, the 58003D beats them (barely).... but those Intel CPUs are cheaper, do application stuff faster (cause you might still want to do SOME work on your computer), and are overclockable!

Very nice and thorough review. Thanks. Am really looking forward to your 30+ game review.

What I particularly like - and other posters have already pointed this out - is how you used different memory speeds / types. Thanks as this did mean extra work.

The final result will depend on the games used. I'd like to see a wider spectrum of games to dilute cases aside like riftbraker, maybe ElderRing or some other modern AAA games?

12900K - great for application and gaming
5800X3D - great for low resolution games but horrible application performance (almost half of 12900K)

Seriously who will play at 1080p on 3090 Ti ??? Most people with that card will not run game below 4K

Also, I wish if you included 12900K results with E cores disabled for gaming. From what I have seen E cores makes gaming performance worse.

I think what impressed me most is that AMD's claim, to run games 15% faster than on the 5800X, turned out to be entirely true. It looks like a great buy for gamers with older generation AMD CPU's. I actually hope all their new generation CPU's (for home use) use this technology.

Who's gonna spend that kind of money on a CPU to play at 1080p. Pointless.
How about: "Who's gonna spend that kind of money on a12900KS to play at 1080p. Pointless."

Also, you should say that about EVERY SINGLE CPU review done in the last 20 years, because they all are being tested like that.

Better yet, don't say anything anymore, because it's clear that you need to learn how CPU tests and reviews are done and why they are done like that.

I think what impressed me most is that AMD's claim, to run games 15% faster than on the 5800X, turned out to be entirely true. It looks like a great buy for gamers with older generation AMD CPU's. I actually hope all their new generation CPU's (for home use) use this technology.
Why? Based on the last 3 years of AMD slides of their upcoming products, you should have known by now that they are more reliable compared to intel or nvidia when it comes to that aspect.

Their slides and claims always prove to be in margin of error difference when the real reviews come out and their claims, that because as you can see they do not cherry pick and show only the positive parts, you can see mediocre and even 1-2 losses usually.

People should actually know this by now about AMD since Zen1.

Excellent gaming CPU especially for those owning AMD motherboard and looking for an upgrade from 3xx or older cpus. But what's ore interesting - AMD shown that their old architecture on DDR4 is very close to Inrel's DDR5 in term of performance. This gives hopes for the quality and performance of ZEN4 architecture, and maybe it will be using DDR5 in much more robust way.
AMD keeps delivering excellent products and I really like this close competition on the market.

Nice to see AMD got gaming performance crown back. Even better to see that Intel fanboys again move goalposts. Previously gaming was all that mattered. Now when AMD is both faster and more efficient, Intel fanboys unsurprisingly are suddenly interested about productivity too 🤦‍♂️

Nice to see AMD got gaming performance crown back. Even better to see that Intel fanboys again move goalposts. Previously gaming was all that mattered. Now when AMD is both faster and more efficient, Intel fanboys unsurprisingly are suddenly interested about productivity too 🤦‍♂️
Was wondering when you'd show up... you realize they DON'T have the gaming crown... it still lost to the 12900KS...

Yeah perhaps on some old titles but on newer that are not Intel optimized games it rocks. Additionally it runs much cooler. Also being much cheaper, there is not real competition here. Get over it.
Much cheaper? The 12700 is currently at 320 lol

Much cheaper? The 12700 is currently at 320 lol
Than 12900KS. Perhaps you should read what post I quoted...
Being 2nd is considered the crown for AMD fans, ignore it
Yeah right. Intel's top CPU is much hotter, much more expensive and requires much more expensive memory. But of course Intel fanboys ignore everything where Intel is behind. Nothing new here.

Yeah right. Intel's top CPU is much hotter, much more expensive and requires much more expensive memory. But of course Intel fanboys ignore everything where Intel is behind. Nothing new here.
I can post you cbr23 score of my 12900k on a small single tower air cooler. It hits 65c. MUCH hotter lol.

I sitll don't get why you are comparing to the 12900. It's twice as fast. The proper comparison is with the 12700f (both locked and no igpu), and sadly the 12700f not only is considerably cheaper, it absolutely crucifies the 5800x 3d on everything bar 240p gaming. It's not even a contest lad.

Also, the king (that's why it's called the crown) doesn't care about the price. Saying the 12900ks is more expensive makes you a peasant. Don't be a peasant.

Back