AMD's GPU shipments increase by 22 percent, eroding Nvidia's market share

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Jon Peddie Research (JPR) has published the latest update on the state of the GPU market, and it’s good news for AMD. In the fourth quarter of last year, Team Red saw its shipments increase 22.6 percent from the previous quarter. Nvidia, meanwhile, experienced a 1.9 percent decline.

We’ve seen AMD stealing market share away from Intel in the CPU segment since the arrival of its Ryzen processors, and it’s repeating the feat in the GPU market against Nvidia—despite reports of gamers ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues.

Overall, GPU shipments were up 3.4 percent from Q3, with AMD shipments increasing by 22.6 percent, Nvidia down by -1.9%, and Intel up slightly, by 0.2%.

A total of 93 million GPUs were shipped in Q4 2019. That's down 1 million YoY, but it’s still the third quarter in a row where shipments have increased.

The report states that when it comes to discreet GPU shipments rather than overall trends, AMD’s market share has increased 3 percent QoQ to 27 percent, that’s still a long way off Nvidia, which dominates with 73 percent.

"This is the third consecutive quarter of increased GPU shipments, However, Q1 which is seasonally flat to down may show an unusual dip because of supply chain interruptions from China due to the Coronavirus epidemic," said Jon Peddie, President of JPR. "2020 is going to be a game-changer with Intel’s entry into the discrete GPU market and a possible fourth entry by an IP company."

JPR’s report highlights include:

• The overall attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 130 percent which was up 1.8 percent from last quarter
  • Discrete GPUs were in 31.9 percent of PCs, which is down -0.19 percent from last quarter
  • The overall PC market increased by 1.99 percent quarter-to-quarter and increased by 3.54 percent year-to-year
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs increased 12.17 percent from last quarter
  • Q4'19 saw an increase in tablet shipments from last quarter

It’ll be interesting to see how much more market share AMD can claw away from Nvidia and Intel this year, especially as all three companies are expected to release graphics cards in 2020.

Permalink to story.

dGPU
AMD moved up to 27% from 26% last year, and 24% last quarter.

dGPU needs help.

Last edited:
A rewrite is a big task. I'll say that hopefully, now that they have more money coming in, they will fix the issues with them, although, it seems that some of their GPU owners never see any issues.
There were also people who owned lancia betas and 3rd gen ford focuses that never had issues, people with cheap dells that never had capacitor issues, ece. Doesnt mean the problems dont exist.

AMD has had 15 years to re-write their driver stack. They have never done it. As a reminder, the GCN stack was updated Terrascale code. GCN never received its own clean driver, even after terrascale was unceremoniously dropped.

The problem isnt money, after all the FOSS community made a quality working driver, for free, in just 2 months. The problem is AMD's driver team is utterly incompetent. That's always been the case, and until the team is purged, this kind of thing will just keep happening.

The OEM sales of Nvidia are not a priority and it shows. Nvidia makes gaming cards and you need to look at the Steam survey to understand the better picture of Nvidia's dominance in gaming. AMD getting 1% YOY is hardly news worthy when this also includes OEM sales. This does not represent the cash cow that is the gaming market. If AMD gets a card into the top 10 on the Steam survey this would be news worthy.

dGPU
AMD moved up to 27% from 26% last year, and 24% last quarter.

dGPU needs help.

According to Hardware Unboxed's latest poll on YouTube (same people who write the reviews here), not nearly as many people are experiencing AMD GPU issues as techspot has previously alluded to. In fact of all respondents, only 6% reported major issues. 77% of people stated that they don't even own an AMD card. A stark contrast to the last one, of which an article was made.

If you remove the Nvidia users from the equation, that's 26.08% of AMD users having major problems. That's still very high but it's nearly HALF of what the last poll gave us of 48%.

Polls are decent for checking if something should be checked out but they are not reliable sources of data.

AMD screwed up with their drivers but the house isn't burning down like the typical commenters suggested in the last article.

According to Hardware Unboxed's latest poll on YouTube (same people who write the reviews here), not nearly as many people are experiencing AMD GPU issues as techspot has previously alluded to. In fact of all respondents, only 6% reported major issues. 77% of people stated that they don't even own an AMD card. A stark contrast to the last one, of which an article was made.

If you remove the Nvidia users from the equation, that's 26.08% of AMD users having major problems. That's still very high but it's nearly HALF of what the last poll gave us of 48%.

Polls are decent for checking if something should be checked out but they are not reliable sources of data.

I clicked into that one too. I didn't particularly like having only one option, but a poll is just a poll.

I clicked into that one too. I didn't particularly like having only one option, but a poll is just a poll.

I really wish they would do the poll for desktop as well. It was by pure chance that I decided to look through videos on my phone. I'm sure there are plenty of desktop users who missed it.

I really wish they would do the poll for desktop as well. It was by pure chance that I decided to look through videos on my phone. I'm sure there are plenty of desktop users who missed it.
The problem with polls are fanboys of the opposite brand lying. Just look at how many fresh accounts have appeared on this forum with just one generic pro Nvidia/Intel post.

A rewrite is a big task. I'll say that hopefully, now that they have more money coming in, they will fix the issues with them, although, it seems that some of their GPU owners never see any issues.

They had a huge influx of cash with all the bitcoin crap. We have yet to see that they have spent any of it on improving gfx beyond the normal increase curve. They simply soaked it into their wallets by artificially increasing card prices.

They had a huge influx of cash with all the bitcoin crap. We have yet to see that they have spent any of it on improving gfx beyond the normal increase curve. They simply soaked it into their wallets by artificially increasing card prices.

Scalpers made bank, not AMD. Go and look at their quarterly reports, Nvdia was hit a lot harder then AMD was when the mining craze ended.

Last I looked discrete GPU share was about 75/25 in favor of Nvidia, and AMD showed up on 16% on Steams latest survey, or about 1 month ago.
Good to see them making a little progress.
The comments about AMD fans downplaying the drivers issues are pretty funny though, I always get a kick out of reading that brand loyal denial.

Just get over it, its ok. It's going on 10 years of this with Radeons.
Personally I think AMD has improved here, and I don't think its that bad as people say, I would be willing to give them a shot again, if it weren't for missing out on RTX. Here's to 'Unreal' being re-done with it.
Please please please!

Last edited:
People sending back Radeons is not funny, more 5000 series cards got returned to Newegg then any other GPU in the past 5 years, according to some guy on overclock.net who knows someone that works there.

Sounds real reliable. /s

I too enjoy getting 4rth hand information from a guy who gets his kicks laughing at his narrow perception of "AMD fans".

Sounds real reliable. /s
Techspot reported it too, along with hundreds of verified purchasers on Amazon/Newegg returning them. The debate about it happening is not up for discussion, only why its been happening, which was also reported by Techspot, and a few other tech sites, as well as being on various tech forums.
You really struggle with any truthful negative reality about AMD and your judgement/opinion suffers because of it, and this is quite obvious and has been for awhile.
Mostly its sad, its like seeing the Chevy vs Ford redneck junk, it's borderline retarded behavior over some made up thing called brand loyalty.
I am not loyal to Nvidia, or Intel, I'll give them just as much junk when they mess up, or overprice things.

Last edited:
Techspot reported it too, along with hundreds of verified purchasers on Amazon/Newegg returning them. The debate about it happening is not up for discussion, only why its been happening, which was also reported by Techspot, and a few other tech sites, as well as being on various tech forums.
You really struggle with any truthful negative reality about AMD and your judgement/opinion suffers because of it, and this is quite obvious and has been for awhile.
Mostly its sad, its like seeing the Chevy vs Ford redneck junk, it's borderline retarded behavior over some made up thing called brand loyalty.
I am not loyal to Nvidia, or Intel, I'll give them just as much junk when they mess up, or overprice things.

Techspot reported the following

"We’ve also spoken with a few retailers to see if they’re seeing issues with 5700 XT boards and we’ve received some interesting reports. Basically the return rate for 5700 XT's is more than 5x that of competing Nvidia products and when they get these systems back with various reported issues, they’re unable to replicate them due to their random nature. "

you said

"People sending back Radeons is not funny, more 5000 series cards got returned to Newegg then any other GPU in the past 5 years "

Those two statements do not remotely align.

The rest of your comment I'm going to ignore but it's personal attacks that capitulate that not only do you make false statements, you start attacking people when you can't back them up.

Not once have I had any trouble with AMD driver except for a pink screen 6 mths ago.
No crashing no stalls nothing what so ever.
All this is an nvidia sponsored attack spreading lies and misinformation.

The problem with polls are fanboys of the opposite brand lying. Just look at how many fresh accounts have appeared on this forum with just one generic pro Nvidia/Intel post.

That is something I find noticeable, as well. While it is normal that people join forums all the time, the kind of comments you get from the new members are interesting and it would also be interesting to see if they commented on other tech articles.

The RMA numbers also don‘t support the issue being widespread but they are higher than for corresponding nVidia cards and that includes non-Asus cards. So something is indeed there.

They good thing that should come out of this - and that was mentioned in the Hardware Unboxed Q&A video part 2 - is that this issue hopefully caught AMD management‘s attention leading them to focus on more on their driver team and providing them with the necessary resources.

In the end, a healthier market share mix will lead to better competition that we all profit from and tbh I do not want Intel to be able to gain a foothold in the market due to nVidia and AMD being complacent.

One last thought: Could it be that a lot of AMD‘s driver devs are currently working on XBox / Playstation drivers instead of on Windows drivers?

More shipments to cope with increased RMA is more likely :D.
Let take Mindfactory.de RMA number for reference here, I will use approximate 10,000 units sold from a combination of models with highest sale number.
5700XT Sapphite Nitro 2130 sold 3% RMA
5700XT Red Devil 3660 sold 5% RMA
5700XT Gigabyte 1550 sold 3% RMA
5700 XT Sapphire Pulse 1500 sold 2% RMA
5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ 750 sold 2% RMA
MSI 5700XT 780 sold 3% RMA
So out of 10,300 5700XT sold about 360 units were returned
MSI 2070 Super Trio 3660 sold 1% RMA
KFA2 2070 Super 5110 sold 1%RMA
MSI 2070 Super Ventus 1750 sold 1% RMA
Out of 10,500 2070 Super sold about 105 units were returned.
So not only did AMD did not claw back any market share, they just created more spiteful customers.

And Techspot not experiencing any driver problems ?
Well Steve talked about that in this video at 8:00 minute mark
Basically Steve said a few time when he installed the driver, the card under-performed by 15%, after having benchmarked a gazillion 5700XTs, he knows how the 5700XT perform exactly. I don't think a first time user with a 5700XT will instantly knows that there was something wrong with the driver installation process with performance metrics alone, that first time user would just play along a not knowing his 5700XT was performing like crap lol.

Every time before I go to bed, I say a prayer. For AMD to keep making great products, to fix their gpu drivers.
Guys, I have finally built a backup machine/media server that can run all crysises all thanks to affordable cpu and gpus from AMD. Only 600 dollars! And I could have made it much cheaper if I didn't have a thing for pretty cases and motherboards.
AMD is awesome when it works.

The rest of your comment I'm going to ignore but it's personal attacks that capitulate that not only do you make false statements, you start attacking people when you can't back them up.
No one attacked anyone, lol.
People are sending back AMD cards due to driver issues, which is what I said in both comments, Techspot had a full article about it, which I commented on and received 8 likes. Like I said there, it's become so pitiful, and it shows in their market share, there is no pleasure in kicking a dead horse,

Every time before I go to bed, I say a prayer. For AMD to keep making great products, to fix their gpu drivers.
It's been a decade of issues, but they seem to do better with consoles.

Quick question Amstech: What do you expect actual owners of AMD cards who do not and have not experienced any major issues to say ? Nothing? Agree that the cards are not useable ?

Do you think they are masochists, putting up with issues that make the PC unusable and throwing good money after bad by continuing to get AMD cards even though the last ones turned their PC experience into a nightmare? Who would do that?

It really appears that you are gaslighting here.

Back