AMD's Navi-based RX 3080 XT rumored to offer RTX 2070-like performance for $330

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Now that AMD has confirmed its 7nm Navi graphics architecture will be arriving later this year, performance and price rumors are flying across the internet. These include claims that one of the first cards to come from the family, the Radeon RX 3080 XT, will be on par with Nvidia’s RTX 2070 but priced at just $330.

Last week saw AMD reveal that Navi would launch in the third quarter of this year. It’s speculated that the first line of Navi 10 and Navi 12 GPUs will include the flagship Radeon RX 3080 XT, which is reported to feature 8GB of GDDR6, 56 compute units, and a TDP of 195 watts.

According to YouTube channel AdoredTV (who we should note has a reputation for bogus rumors), the Navi 10-based RX 3080 XT will offer performance on the same level as Nvidia’s RTX 2070 card, but while that product has an MSRP of $599, AMD’s offering is rumored to sell at $330.

Next year could see things get even more interesting. 2020 is expected to usher in the arrival of the high-end Navi 20-based cards, which include the Radeon RX 3090 (60 compute units, 180 watts) and Radeon RX 3090 XT (64 compute units, 225 watts). The former card is said to perform similarly to the Radeon VII but cost $430, while the more powerful XT variant allegedly offers 10 percent more performance at $499.

When announcing Navi’s release window, AMD CEO Lisu Su said the first card would be priced lower than the $699 Radeon VII. WCCFTech has created a table summarizing rumored specs and prices thus far (above).

Other rumors indicate that early Navi samples have been experiencing problems when it comes to reaching their desired clock speeds, unable to hit even Vega 20 clocks. And when they are able to perform as intended, the cards experience power and thermal issues.

This is all speculation, of course, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. But those looking to upgrade their graphics cards might want to hold off for a few more months.

Permalink to story.

"According to YouTube channel AdoredTV..."
Stop right there. Just stick to the facts as and when you know them. I certainly don't want to see Techspot end up the next WCCFTech with mindless 3rd hand gossip replacing solid reviews for the sake of cheap clickbait...

Seconded. If we play with the According to we can speculate on anything. Give us facts not potential bullshit.

Everyone loves to hate on AdoredTV. I don't get why the guy gets so much hatred. His videos are often insightful and you can actually learn stuff from them. Sure, he loves to speculate, but he clearly indicates when he does this. More importantly he freely admits when he was wrong too. This latest Navi video is no exception. The fact that he has sources that leak reliable information to him says a lot about his content. If it really was so bad, no one would leak anything to him. And yes they are reliable. This has been proven multiple times over. The most obvious example is chiplets.

Seconded. If we play with the According to we can speculate on anything. Give us facts not potential bullshit.
I certainly don't want to see Techspot end up the next WCCFTech with mindless 3rd hand gossip replacing solid reviews for the sake of cheap clickbait...
Agreed to an extent. Reporting on rumors and leaks is part of the tech news cycle, however we have edited the story to note AdoredTV is usually a source of bogus rumors and you won't see us citing them as a source in the foreseeable future.

Agreed to an extent. Reporting on rumors and leaks is part of the tech news cycle, however we have edited the story to note AdoredTV is usually a source of bogus rumors and you won't see us citing them as a source in the foreseeable future.
I have nothing personally against Youtube based sites as a primary source, but there are certain sites that have a notoriety for basically telling people what they want to hear during the pre-release hype phase as cheap clickbait. They make up 100x predictions over the space of 2x years, then pick the nearest one post release as some "proof they were in the know" then quietly forget about the other 99x failed predictions - aka the "Throw a bucket of sh*t at a wall and see what sticks" field of journalism. That then starts off a chain reaction where another mainstream site will quote another site that's already quoted them, etc, and you end up with a whole swathe of sites quoting each other when the original source turned out to be one guy pulling figures out of his rear in order to be "liked" more / gain a few cheap followers on Youtube.

If you want some positive feedback from a long-term Techspot reader, personally I'd read the Techspot review anyway whether it was "first post!" or came in last. Quality, number of games tested, and for low-end components perhaps testing on Med instead of Ultra or lighter weight but popular games on the Top 100 list more likely to be played on budget rigs but also having more players than many AAA titles, or perhaps testing different features (eg, fixed-function video encoding quality on new GPU generations, fan noise of different brands of the same model, etc), counts more to me than speed / timing (of article release) or rumor repetition.

Well, since we are talking conjecture, here's my $0.02. this is what I think we will see
Low-end GTX 1060 killer $149
Midrange $249, competes with rtx 2060.
High-end to compete with rtx 2070 at $399
RTX 2080 competitor $449
and then maybe in 2020, a 2080 ti competitor at $699 with maybe 12GB vram

Last edited:
I have nothing personally against Youtube based sites as a primary source, but there are certain sites that have a notoriety for basically telling people what they want to hear during the pre-release hype phase as cheap clickbait. They make up 100x predictions over the space of 2x years, then pick the nearest one post release as some "proof they were in the know" then quietly forget about the other 99x failed predictions - aka the "Throw a bucket of sh*t at a wall and see what sticks" field of journalism. That then starts off a chain reaction where another mainstream site will quote another site that's already quoted them, etc, and you end up with a whole swathe of sites quoting each other when the original source turned out to be one guy pulling figures out of his rear in order to be "liked" more / gain a few cheap followers on Youtube.

If you want some positive feedback from a long-term Techspot reader, personally I'd read the Techspot review anyway whether it was "first post!" or came in last. Quality, number of games tested, and for low-end components perhaps testing on Med instead of Ultra or lighter weight but popular games on the Top 100 list more likely to be played on budget rigs but also having more players than many AAA titles, or perhaps testing different features (eg, fixed-function video encoding quality on new GPU generations, fan noise of different brands of the same model, etc), counts more to me than speed / timing (of article release) or rumor repetition.

Honestly apart from this the instant I saw wccftech I was wondering. Why are these articles basing data off a website whos notoriously known on publishing bs and hype stories for clicks.

At this point it would've been better if we read this article/saw this data directly from their website(lol) instead of having it posted here.

I certainly don't want to see Techspot end up the next WCCFTech with mindless 3rd hand gossip replacing solid reviews for the sake of cheap clickbait...

Bogus rumors like Epyc being 64 cores, like Turing is going to be called RTX instead of GTX, like Ryzen 3000 having an IO die...

Bogus rumors? He base his speculations on people reporting to him. He is also building research cases for any topics he wants to cover. He is more a journalist working on the tech industry... while you guys are only tech press... and sometime you really don't see much further than you should. Biggest example is Intel 5GHz 28 cores demo, RTX and CTS-labs

I totally get the point of rumors, but downsizing his contribution like this, is totally unacceptable. His pieces on Nvidia GPU history, Intel anti-competitive behaviors and AMD GPUs history, are built with documented facts. They are really informative and interesting. He is the only one to do that.

You should remove that "bogus" word from your article.

Not to mention that he was the first to farcry the Nvidia RTX press release on performances.

He is the only one who analyzed the data and figured out Nvidia was trying to undermine their own 1080 GTX for boosting the 2080 RTX hype.

He noted that games were benchs at 4k with HDR to force 1080 GTX memory bottleneck. You guys didn't see that huh...

Well, he did.

You guys didn't mentioned anything about undervolting the R7 fan cruves...

Well he did.

You guys totally lost it when you said that 8GB was enough for PC gaming...

Well he did proved you wrong while he bottleneck the 2080 RTX memory in Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

"Bogus"... indeed...

"the Navi 10-based RX 3080 XT will offer performance on the same level as Nvidia’s RTX 2070 card, but while that product has an MSRP of $599, AMD’s offering is rumored to sell at $330."

The RTX 2070's MSRP isn't 499? Yes, the Founder Edition is 599, but many of the buyers don't buy that version unless they have so much money that they don't care. 499 vs 330 is still an absurd price difference, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back