AMD's "Next Horizon" will be revealed in a major event on Tuesday

mongeese

Staff
Highly anticipated: When AMD launched Ryzen, they threw down the gauntlet and it hit Intel in the balls. Now they’ve announced a new event called “Next Horizon” that will reveal the hopefully just as groundbreaking Zen 2 7nm architecture that will be used for the next generation of Ryzen.

Update: The "Next Horizon" event will be taking place in San Francisco at 9 AM local time (PT), that's 12PM ET and 5PM UTC. We'll be following the announcement and report back with AMD's news.

Yesterday, AMD started listing the event on their Investor Relations website. Unfortunately, the event page is completely barren, not listing any details on what they’re going to announce or even the location or time.

What is significant about it though, is that when AMD announced the original Ryzen, they called that event “New Horizon.” It would make sense that the “Next Horizon” is the next Ryzen. And as Anandtech points out, the fact that the listing is on the Investor Relations website is also very informative. In America, companies are required by law to reveal when significant announcements are going to be made at least a few days in advance.

The announcement would have to be a pretty big deal to trigger that law. Although, it is possible that it doesn’t relate to Ryzen but is focused on the server market instead. In last week’s earnings conference call, AMD CEO Lisa Su revealed that there would be something regarding the data center industry revealed.

"AMD's next horizon event is scheduled for Tuesday, November 6, 2018, where we will discuss innovation of AMD products and technology, specifically designed with the datacenter on industry leading 7-nanometer process technology."

There’s no doubt that Su is referring to AMD’s 7nm EPYC server processors that are expected to release before the end of the year, but as to whether consumer hardware will be announced, too, we’ll just have to wait and see. They may also use the event to announce their upcoming RX 590 graphics card.

When Zen 2 does launch sometime early next year, it’s expected to put some serious pressure on Intel, with up to 13% more IPC and faster clock speeds enabled by the smaller 7nm node. We’ll keep you up to date with the latest AMD news as it becomes available.

Permalink to story.

I am waiting with bated breath to see how fast Zen 2 is on 7nm. I expect big things. Ryzen closed the big gap to Intel's best, Ryzen 2 narrowed it further and I expect this to finally eliminate the last few percentage points left between them.

I want to see 8 cores for $300 that are capable of being on par with a 9900k in every aspect, including gaming. I do believe it is possible now AMD have a process lead and hit 7nm first. 10 percent IPC and 10 percent improved clocks would be more than enough. Entirely realistic expectations.

They are slacking on driver updates for the raven ridge processors like 2500u in laptops,its quite disappointing tbh I hope they will release the update soon after Tuesday

I am waiting with bated breath to see how fast Zen 2 is on 7nm. I expect big things. Ryzen closed the big gap to Intel's best, Ryzen 2 narrowed it further and I expect this to finally eliminate the last few percentage points left between them.

I want to see 8 cores for $300 that are capable of being on par with a 9900k in every aspect, including gaming. I do believe it is possible now AMD have a process lead and hit 7nm first. 10 percent IPC and 10 percent improved clocks would be more than enough. Entirely realistic expectations.

lol If you're lucky, 8 cores will sell for that much... but only until a winner is officially declared and we're back to standard pricing. Most likely elevated pricing, if GPU's and smartphones are anything to go by.

$300 is only possible as it's always been possible, which is when one company, AMD, is trailing. A powerful AMD isn't going to reward us with cheaper products if they are outperforming the other guy. You're delusional if you think that.

You think after AMD already attempted to charge $1500 for an R9 Pro Duo and $900 for an FX 9590, that they won't do the same if they are officially the best chip on the market!?

Lmao!

lol If you're lucky, 8 cores will sell for that much... but only until a winner is officially declared and we're back to standard pricing. Most likely elevated pricing, if GPU's and smartphones are anything to go by.

$300 is only possible as it's always been possible, which is when one company, AMD, is trailing. A powerful AMD isn't going to reward us with cheaper products if they are outperforming the other guy. You're delusional if you think that.

You think after AMD already attempted to charge $1500 for an R9 Pro Duo and $900 for an FX 9590, that they won't do the same if they are officially the best chip on the market!?

Lmao!

I would look at AMD's server and HEDT parts and realise in fact they have already been selling better chips for far less than Intel....

What you also have to understand is that I wasn't even talking about the top end 8 core model. AMD are so kind to produce all their parts unlocked for overclocking. Yes, it's entirely possible a top end 8 core could go for as much as $500 if it really is as fast as the 9900k.

It's also entirely possible they will have a lower clocked model for close on to $300, except it'll be unlocked and capable of pretty much reaching the same sort of speeds as the most expensive model. Ryzen 1700 launched @ $329 sold like crazy because it could basically do everything a $499 1800x could do.

It is indeed very amusing and exciting. Chances are the 8 core Zen 2 won't even be the top end consumer model. There will be 12 and maybe even 16 core versions perhaps priced to compete against the 9900k. The pressure on Intel will be enormous in 2019.

AMD are forcing down prices at the very least and making the marketplace for CPUs next year extremely competitive. I cautiously predict it'll be the best year to buy a CPU in a very long time.

Last edited:
Correct^
I do think a 7nm Zen2 8-core gaming chip is doable for $300, that outperforms Intel's best 8-core.

Matter of fact, such a show-stopper is easily doable, with all the newest AMD masking & upgrades from original Zen. Newer fabric, newer thermals, newer, etc.

Such a chip would lock in many Gamers, on to AMD's AM4 platform, with a long life of future chips to upgrade to. Removing them from the intel space and giving AMD mindshare. Ryzen and Threadripper have already done this. A new high-end 8-core gaming chip right now, that puts Intel on it's heels would gain substantial market share.

its nice to think about.....but unfortunately intel will be on the 7nm die soon as well. then how well amds 7nm compare? hate to say it but they'll probably fall short as usual. I hope not, but that's usually the case. just like when they first introduced HBM2. then nvidia put out the titan v and blew it away. price vs performance vs a vega frontier vs a titan v is obviously overpriced on the nvidia half, but their card is better lol.

amd had to switch to a smaller die to match/beat intels 10nm performance. they're just behind and probably always will be unfortunately. amd being better there is like saying you're better than the guy you just beat in a foot race while u were wearing nike airs and the other guy had on a pair of steel toed boots. when they're matching or beating performance on the same die size, then I will be impressed and have hope for amd. as of now going to 7nm in order to beat 10nm performance, is cheating/and or not impressive, at least to me. thats like being proud of pascal beating maxwell.

I would look at AMD's server and HEDT parts and realise in fact they have already been selling better chips for far less than Intel....

What you also have to understand is that I wasn't even talking about the top end 8 core model. AMD are so kind to produce all their parts unlocked for overclocking. Yes, it's entirely possible a top end 8 core could go for as much as $500 if it really is as fast as the 9900k.

It's also entirely possible they will have a lower clocked model for close on to $300, except it'll be unlocked and capable of pretty much reaching the same sort of speeds as the most expensive model. Ryzen 1700 launched @ $329 sold like crazy because it could basically do everything a $499 1800x could do.

It is indeed very amusing and exciting. Chances are the 8 core Zen 2 won't even be the top end consumer model. There will be 12 and maybe even 16 core versions perhaps priced to compete against the 9900k. The pressure on Intel will be enormous in 2019.

AMD are forcing down prices at the very least and making the marketplace for CPUs next year extremely competitive. I cautiously predict it'll be the best year to buy a CPU in a very long time.

Yet Intel pulled in $17.2b last quarter this late after Zen.
Demand is so high for Intel parts, TSMC is manufacturing chipsets along with Atom and Pentium chips for Intel.

AMD stock has dropped 50% in 30 days. TR is beneficial in less applications than Intel hardware. AMD sucks at software and early dynamic mode performance is inconsistent at best.

Show me the numbers where AMD is doing any damage to Intel financially right now....

its nice to think about.....but unfortunately intel will be on the 7nm die soon as well. then how well amds 7nm compare?

7nm in order to beat 10nm performance, is cheating/and or not impressive, at least to me. thats like being proud of pascal beating maxwell.

Intel will call their equivalent node 10nm. 10nm Intel v 7nm TSMC = the same generation/comparable.

Do you not realise that this has basically been one of Intel's advantages since forever? Intel's 14nm process and the refinements have always been a step ahead of whatever Ryzen AMD has built on Global Foundries 14nm or 12nm. They are inferior processes. It seems you may not have known that this comparison is skewed towards Intel even with Ryzen. Intel slightly wins, yes it does. Not least because it had a better process. The very 'cheat' you are talking about :joy:

Whereas AMD will now have the process lead in 2019, for at least 6 months. TSMC 7nm works. Intel's equivalent 10nm process? Well it's a mess. We really don't know if they can make it work as well as TSMC 7nm, let alone regain the lead! All we know is they will be behind on process to AMD for the first time in well over a decade.....

AMD stock has dropped 50% in 30 days.

Show me the numbers where AMD is doing any damage to Intel financially right now....

I'm a consumer, not an investor in these particular companies. The stock price or profit doesn't concern me, whether or not I can buy a quality CPU does. AMD deliver that with Zen 2 models across the board then I am sure they will gain market share, the stock will increase again anyway. I am sure it was just a little overvalued considering the massive rise the past 2 years. It's gone up in value to 10 times what it was from a couple months before Zen launched! Meaningless as it is to me.

If you want numbers to see the pressure on Intel then look at how much of the lucrative server market Intel are worried about losing to AMD or the total lack of 10nm mass production parts, 3 years delayed. You seem to be changing the subject.

My point was there is a good chance AMD can deliver a high end part equal or better overall to Intel, for less money. You said they wouldn't even if it was fast enough, I pointed you to the HEDT parts that suggest otherwise. We can only wait and see how it turns out, both in performance and MSRP.

Last edited:
Based on history and comparing to other 7nm electronics out there the flagship chip will cost upwards of $500. In fact I only see it costing less than $500 of it fails to usurp Intel.

Remember, AMD tried charging $500 for its 1800X only last year!

Based on history and comparing to other 7nm electronics out there the flagship chip will cost upwards of $500. In fact I only see it costing less than $500 of it fails to usurp Intel.

Remember, AMD tried charging $500 for its 1800X only last year!
That was just the 1800x, the rest were very cheap for the number of cores they offered.
In theory, their modular design allows them to still use 14nm and older for some components that don't need to use the more expensive 7nm process and focus the yields on the Zen2 cores. It will keep costs down and still offer good performance. Intel is currently still stuck with monolithic chips designs.

Intel will call their equivalent node 10nm. 10nm Intel v 7nm TSMC = the same generation/comparable.

Do you not realise that this has basically been one of Intel's advantages since forever? Intel's 14nm process and the refinements have always been a step ahead of whatever Ryzen AMD has built on Global Foundries 14nm or 12nm. They are inferior processes. It seems you may not have known that this comparison is skewed towards Intel even with Ryzen. Intel slightly wins, yes it does. Not least because it had a better process. The very 'cheat' you are talking about :joy:

Whereas AMD will now have the process lead in 2019, for at least 6 months. TSMC 7nm works. Intel's equivalent 10nm process? Well it's a mess. We really don't know if they can make it work as well as TSMC 7nm, let alone regain the lead! All we know is they will be behind on process to AMD for the first time in well over a decade.....

I'm a consumer, not an investor in these particular companies. The stock price or profit doesn't concern me, whether or not I can buy a quality CPU does. AMD deliver that with Zen 2 models across the board then I am sure they will gain market share, the stock will increase again anyway. I am sure it was just a little overvalued considering the massive rise the past 2 years. It's gone up in value to 10 times what it was from a couple months before Zen launched! Meaningless as it is to me.

If you want numbers to see the pressure on Intel then look at how much of the lucrative server market Intel are worried about losing to AMD or the total lack of 10nm mass production parts, 3 years delayed. You seem to be changing the subject.

My point was there is a good chance AMD can deliver a high end part equal or better overall to Intel, for less money. You said they wouldn't even if it was fast enough, I pointed you to the HEDT parts that suggest otherwise. We can only wait and see how it turns out, both in performance and MSRP.

Your comment is based on nothing but hope, not fact or past trends.

You have no numbers other than price. You lack facts and only offer weak predictions that are based on hope and faith.

Reasonable expectations, I think AMD's 7nm will perform slightly less then Intel's 10nm design (not released). The main item I'm concerned with will be AMD's(same concern with Intel's 10nm vs 14+*) ability to have high clock rate. I expect their Data center parts to be 2.8 to 3.8 (boost) +-10% MHZ. Consumer level in 2019 will probably be within 5% of current clocks, maybe even 10 cores.

its nice to think about.....but unfortunately intel will be on the 7nm die soon as well. then how well amds 7nm compare? hate to say it but they'll probably fall short as usual. I hope not, but that's usually the case. just like when they first introduced HBM2. then nvidia put out the titan v and blew it away. price vs performance vs a vega frontier vs a titan v is obviously overpriced on the nvidia half, but their card is better lol.

amd had to switch to a smaller die to match/beat intels 10nm performance. they're just behind and probably always will be unfortunately. amd being better there is like saying you're better than the guy you just beat in a foot race while u were wearing nike airs and the other guy had on a pair of steel toed boots. when they're matching or beating performance on the same die size, then I will be impressed and have hope for amd. as of now going to 7nm in order to beat 10nm performance, is cheating/and or not impressive, at least to me. thats like being proud of pascal beating maxwell.

Intel is having trouble pushing past 12nm, never mind 7nm or 10nm.

you're right, my 10nm should say 12. my mistake. really odd seeing intel behind, but like I said if they're both making chips on the same die size amd will most likely be in trouble like always. they still aren't beating intels best right now with the 7nm process. we'll just have to see how zen2 competes with a 9900k and if they'll need to respond with a new lineup. which im sure they'll be forced to and I can't wait to see :D. very interesting stuff when the underdog starts making a comeback.

you're right, my 10nm should say 12. my mistake. really odd seeing intel behind, but like I said if they're both making chips on the same die size amd will most likely be in trouble like always. they still aren't beating intels best right now with the 7nm process. we'll just have to see how zen2 competes with a 9900k and if they'll need to respond with a new lineup. which im sure they'll be forced to and I can't wait to see :D. very interesting stuff when the underdog starts making a comeback.

It seems to me that they are beating Intel in all setups from low end to high end desktops/gaming with only exception of Ultra High end gaming and there too the margin is small.
Ryzen and Threadripper dominate professional computers now and servers are dominantly threadrippers now. Every community now recommends Ryzen processors for 90% of times. This is a huge change since last year.
Intel has been complacent and has not innovated in a decade now and the really funny thing is now AMD is leading innovation. Fortune favors the bold.

Back