Analyzing Graphics Card Pricing: May 2018

If I could take time back, I would buy RX470 instead of GTX 1050 Ti as I did. Otherwise, the current GTX series is quite old for that prices. Wait for next gen.

If I could take time back, I would buy RX470 instead of GTX 1050 Ti as I did. Otherwise, the current GTX series is quite old for that prices. Wait for next gen.
To wait for? I have bougth my 1050ti less then one year ago and now it sucks in new games. Both 1050 and 1060 series fault behind old AMD videocards. I did a fast research and see that even 980 is on pair with 470 in new games. I supposed to buy 1060 3G but something stopped me so I see lost less money today.

To wait for? I have bougth my 1050ti less then one year ago and now it sucks in new games. Both 1050 and 1060 series fault behind old AMD videocards. I did a fast research and see that even 980 is on pair with 470 in new games. I supposed to buy 1060 3G but something stopped me so I see lost less money today.
I bought my 1050Ti 1.5 year ago, right after they hit the market. It was convenient because of weaker PSU, but RX 470 is much better in a long-term perspective.
1060 with 3GB RAM just sucks, 3GB is very poor match for that price.

I'm still patting myself on the back for buying an RX480 the day after release, after rebate I paid just $160 shipped. LUCK!

I'm still hope nvidia and AMD are working on mining cards, I.e. cards with no output connectors perhaps with dual GPU's. That would help tremendously!

As much as I appreciate the optimism I can see on a range of websites, theres no way ill be purchasing a year old GPU for MSRP..

You mean two year old cards. The 10 series came out in May of 2016, and they still sell for more than MSRP, absolutely despicable. Which was 1.5 years after the 900 series, so we're half a year over due for the next gen, but why would Nvidia bother when they're making record profits?

Meanwhile in the rest of the world ie: outside the U.S and E.U prices are still rising the cost of my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB OC $437NZD at time of purchase has gone upto $689NZD and is not looking like dropping in price the Limited edition version of the same card is over a thousand bucks just because it comes with a couple of replaceable fans and a very slight core OC 1411>1450MHz and nothing on the memory

Bought my 1080 Ti at "regular" price before the mining debacle and plan to flog it for several years. I'm glad that I'm not in the GPU market right now... I think I made the right move at the right time. My last SLI rig served me well for nearly five years. Not a latest-and-greatest guy. If it's doing the job, that's enough.

Nice to see that prices are coming back down to Earth.

This is why reviewers shouldnt use MSRP to review graphics cards. MSRP doesnt reflect on real world pricing at all. For example almost every 2700X review I read has it as the cheaper option compared to a 8700K. But in the UK the 8700K is actually cheaper than a 2700 (non X). And the sneaky chip corporations - for example, AMD used it to deceive reviewers and consumers into saying Vega was better value than it is by promising a rebate. That rebate got cancelled on day one of the cards release, conveniently after the reviews were published. I think reviewers should hold off on making judgements on hardware pricing and value until they can actually go and see how much retailers are charging for it. It would save a lot of mis-information being published. I also dont understand the strict focus on value for money when it comes to the higher end parts like Vega/1080 or R5/i7. Its like reviewers will sit there and claim one is better because it performs 10% faster but costs 20% more. Maybe im an ***** but when im spending that kind of money on my hardware im quite happy to pay the premiums to have the best. I understand why budget matters when it comes to comparing budget parts. But whos looking to save £20 on an overall build cost that has a brand new 2700X in it?

"It was possible to get an Nvidia card for less than the prices listed in these charts for about a day"

Don't know if it was dumb luck or good timing, but a friend of mine had texted me he ordered a new GPU from Amazon and I had heard about Nvidia offering cards through their website. I asked him which GPU and how much (1070). Nvidia's website happened to have those on their website.

The 1070 sold out between the time I emailed him, but he did get a Founders 1080 for the same price as the 1070 was on amazon.

Cards are still exceptionally overpriced. I will be waiting another year before I by anything

As much as I appreciate the optimism I can see on a range of websites, theres no way ill be purchasing a year old GPU for MSRP..

You mean two year old cards. The 10 series came out in May of 2016, and they still sell for more than MSRP, absolutely despicable. Which was 1.5 years after the 900 series, so we're half a year over due for the next gen, but why would Nvidia bother when they're making record profits?

NVIDIA is doing a hell of a lot more than AMD!
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1180-custom-cards-by-august-september/

Could the cards be priced lower? Of course, but I doubt NVIDIA was going to lower MSRP during the crypto craze and the resulting lack of stock. And what about AMD? Are they off the hook for some reason? The prices and stock levels of GeForce cards look a lot better than what AMD has available. I hope you don't want a RX 570 or 580, that's for sure.

Please blame the right people next time, okay? ;)

The prices are still too damn high, the slight optimism some show is a perfect example of anchoring bias. I hope they continue to decrease.

Supply and demand. Has people have video cards now this lack demand now.

People getting into mining are buying video cards now and now that the market is flooded with miners and most miners have video cards now there is less demand for video cards.

But if they ever bring out new video cards these miners may want to upgrade and thus price may go up really high as the demand will go up.

Meanwhile in the rest of the world ie: outside the U.S and E.U prices are still rising the cost of my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB OC $437NZD at time of purchase has gone upto $689NZD and is not looking like dropping in price the Limited edition version of the same card is over a thousand bucks just because it comes with a couple of replaceable fans and a very slight core OC 1411>1450MHz and nothing on the memory

May be in EU there still lots of miners buying video cards.

Unlike the US a less of demand.

Please blame the right people next time, okay? ;)

The only one's at fault are the consumer, Nvidia is a company out to make money just like any other, appease the share holders, give excessive bonuses, why slash prices for the sake of doing so if their cards are being devoured en mass? Chances are they could have released a new generation of GPUs 6 months ago but the money was flowing in so why bother, not like AMD has been pushing them to do anything either this decade. The whole situation is dispicable because of how stupid the prices got for all the reason mentioned, the whole market is a cluster truck and unlikely will be any better even if a new generation of GPUs does come out. Maybe the used market will get flooded with 10 series cards, as the 11 series cards become the new hot commodity to have by the miners. Guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires come the end of summer. If those rumors are true I'd be happy to get my hands on an 1170, or whatever the number of said GPU ends up being, just hope it doesn't get inflated to double or triple MSRP withing days of release...

Once mining is not profitable anymore using video cards, which will be in the near future, the market is going to be flooded with these cards. If Nvidia and AMD don't have new cards ready for the market, they'll be losing money. There is no way I would by one of these mid tier 2 year old cards for more than 100-150. If you're a miner and thinking of getting out of the game, now's the time to sell those cards while you can still get something for them, just my thoughts...

Back