Apple's upcoming iPhones won't include a headphone jack adapter, rumors claim

Polycount

Staff

Apple is known for its habit of "courageously" removing certain elements of its phones over the years. First, the company decided to controversially ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack with the release of the iPhone 7. Later, it removed the iPhone X's top bezel in favor of a "notch."

With a few exceptions, both of these decisions prompted the rest of the smartphone industry to follow Apple's lead. However, the company may be taking things a step too far with its 2018 iPhone, if recent rumors are to be believed.

MacRumors reported on Thursday that Apple may not bundle a lightning-to-headphone-jack adapter with its upcoming flagship smartphone.

The outlet claims the adapter's supplier, Cirrus Logic, has "confirmed" this information, though we haven't been able to verify it for ourselves. However, it wouldn't be the first time reports have surfaced suggesting this would be the case - Barclays analysts predicted this would happen in a research report acquired by MacRumors back in April.

If these rumors are true, consumers might be a bit upset. Removing the 3.5mm jack was bad enough for many users, but ditching the adapter as well may be particularly frustrating for Apple's customers.

However, it's worth noting that there's no real reason for Apple to stop selling the adapter as a standalone product. Currently, the device retails for $9 on Apple's website, but it can also be purchased through physical electronics stores like Best Buy, or online retailers like Amazon.

Permalink to story.

Doesn’t the Pixel 2 not come with a usb-c to headphone adapter? I use an iPhone 8+ and I’ve never actually used the adapter, in fact I don’t even know where it is...

I bought AirPods 8 month ago for my iPhone 6S, and never thought of using wired headphones ever since.

The thing I appreciate most is that my new BOSE headphones also connect to it and work flawlessly. Best thing to take travel with, especially on a plane: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756CYWWD/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
I’m the same, wired headphones feels similar to watching a VHS or Betamax at this point to me. Those Bose headphones rock, I love them.

Do they have enough courage to remove bluetooth as well?

I use wired headphones almost every day on my PC and on my phone, wireless headphones won't give me any benefits so there's no reason to get them. This move is stupid as was removing the jack but if there's enough people who'll buy it it doesn't matter.

I bought AirPods 8 month ago for my iPhone 6S, and never thought of using wired headphones ever since.I’m the same, wired headphones feels similar to watching a VHS or Betamax at this point to me. Those Bose headphones rock, I love them.

I can't even keep track of my wired earbuds. I haven't seen them in a week (probably went through the wash, again). And you want me to keep track of AirPods?

I bought AirPods 8 month ago for my iPhone 6S, and never thought of using wired headphones ever since.

The thing I appreciate most is that my new BOSE headphones also connect to it and work flawlessly. Best thing to take travel with, especially on a plane: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756CYWWD/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
I’m the same, wired headphones feels similar to watching a VHS or Betamax at this point to me. Those Bose headphones rock, I love them.

Wireless headphones, ala bluetooth, have a lower bitrate than wired headphones and the latency on the default BT wireless audio protocol is terrible. The only decent implementation of wireless bt is LDAC and that's reserved for Sony products for the most part.

Wireless is great if latency isn't an issue and the content you are listening to doesn't have high quality audio. Otherwise there's no point in going wireless if you are gaming or listening to high quality audio, simply based on the technical drawbacks of BT. There is a reason that all the biggest headphone manufacturers all release their flagship cans wired after all. Bluetooth has a very long way to go before it can rival wired.

"If these rumors are true, consumers might be a bit upset."

I don't think anyone's "upset" anymore. The first time was a surprise, but since then it's more a case that those of us who own a pair of high-quality grown-up wired headphones know to steer well clear of junk Apple devices that have long stopped being equated with "best MP3 player" years ago...

Bluetooth has a very long way to go before it can rival wired.
Bluetooth doesn't have to rival wired, it just has to be good enough and for most folks that's all that matters. Only the audiophiles will care about that kind of stuff, the rest of us simply don't care. As long as we get audio that sounds similar to wired, we don't care.

Bluetooth doesn't have to rival wired, it just has to be good enough and for most folks that's all that matters. Only the audiophiles will care about that kind of stuff, the rest of us simply don't care. As long as we get audio that sounds similar to wired, we don't care.

Humans adapt their standards over time. I bet people back in the day said the same thing about black and white television until they saw color. Heck, the same could be said of graphics cards as well. Notice how the bar of acceptable GPU power continuously goes up? What the average person perceives as "good enough" for their rig increases with each new generation. While you may not care now about what high end headphones are doing, those flagship parts will undoubtedly push what is accepted as "good" higher.

I dont blame apple. I mean, the margins on those $1000 phones are so thin I was amazed they could afford to ship a $30 dongle free with the device. It was a ridiculous extravagance, the consumer is more then capable of spending the extra $$$ to help apple out. They are a small company after all, and cash flow is a big problem for them.

Except some of the best quality headphones on the market are wired. Audiophile's of any kind would be skeptical of this kind move.

Except some of the best quality headphones on the market are wired. Audiophile's of any kind would be skeptical of this kind move.
I agree the best quality headphones are wired, in fact I think it’s probably likely that even the best wireless don’t stand up to the best wired. But a standard mobile phones 3.5mm jack has never been the best way of powering them.

I think at the end of the day, if you’re that desperate to use an expensive pair of wired headphones on your mobile phone it’s not much to ask someone to pay $9 for an adapter. Better yet you can actually get a better quality 3.5mm jack and DAC with third party lightning port adapters. I can’t say how much improvement they offer as I am only interested in using wireless headphones with my mobile phone but the reviews seem pretty good and have been around since before the 3.5mm jack was removed.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/p...ree-dacs-will-keep-the-music-spinning-1321629

I use wireless headphones for the most part, but I still keep a pair of wired headphones for when my wireless headphones run out of battery life --- something that happens during lengthy flights and overlays in between. Eliminating the 3.5 mm jack and adapter is ridiculous to me...it's not innovation.

They want to FORCE you into wireless. These adapter probably cost apple 5-25 cents each, which doesn't sound like much until you count thousands. Plus, the constant connect/disconnect x2 (headphone, recharge) probably counts for some repair/replacement costs of the jacks.
Considering how a lot of apple users are sheep, this will problem get them to overpay for wireless ear buds.

It's funny to think people actually dig wireless earphones or wireless headphones and think that's cool nowadays. Probably current gen have no idea the corporates are making them follow their tunes.

All due respect to those who still use wired headphones but I genuinely can’t imagine still using them today. They belong in the pages of history with cassette players & vinyl.

2022 News: Apple remove audio capabilities from IPhones in it's last 'brave' move.

2025 News: Apple remove displays from IPhones in it's last 'brave' move. Now you need a Mixed Reality gear to be able to see anything.

Should I go on?

All due respect to those who still use wired headphones but I genuinely can’t imagine still using them today. They belong in the pages of history with cassette players & vinyl.
If you like wireless, use it by all means, I don't think it's bad either but has some downsides, but to say that wired headphones shouldn't exist is just absolutely...mildly said, dumb.

If you like wireless, use it by all means, I don't think it's bad either but has some downsides, but to say that wired headphones shouldn't exist is just absolutely...mildly said, dumb.

Ok maybe I should elaborate. Wired headphones/headsets should absolutely exist, in desktop, studio and call center environments they make a lot of sense. I agree with you, to say they shouldn’t exist completely is dumb. But to buy a pair of wired headphones solely for using on a modern smartphone in 2018 isn’t the smartest thing to do either, especially with how cheap you can get wireless headphones and how good the quality on some of them can be. It is subjective but I think wireless headphones are better for most consumers than wired headphones are. The iPhone X is the best selling smartphone this year so far and it does not have a headphone jack, so removing the jack clearly doesn’t put off consumers. And it’s not like you can’t still use wired headphones with modern devices. Even when we eventually get completely sealed portless phones we will be able to get some kind of bluetooth converter for the ageing 3.5mm jack, in fact they already exist.

I'd rather sacrifice a bit of quality for the convenience of wireless. Besides, with the advent of AptX and AAC over Bluetooth the quality of the audio isn't diminished that badly especially when compared to earlier versions of Bluetooth that positively sucked.

Back