Asus' latest gaming tablet comes with an RTX 3050 Ti and eGPU support

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: Asus says the new ROG Flow Z13 is the world’s most powerful gaming tablet. A claim that’s hard to argue, given that its lightweight aluminum alloy shell can house up to a 14C/20T 12th-gen Core i9-12900H processor and an RTX 3050 Ti. Asus hasn’t revealed the price for what will presumably be quite an expensive 2-in-1 that’s set for release sometime in Q1/Q2 this year.

The ROG Flow Z13 bears a striking resemblance to the Microsoft Surface Pro. However, the former’s powerful internals and aggressive design make it the more compelling option in terms of form and function. Arriving later this year, Asus will be offering this 13.4-inch gaming tablet in three flavors.

The base model packs a 12C/16T Core i5-12000H and Iris Xe graphics, while the mid-tier variant comes with a 14C/20T Core i7-12700H / RTX 3050 GPU combo. Only these two versions offer a 120Hz refresh rate for their 1,920 x 1,200 IPS touchscreens, whereas the top-spec variant is limited to 60Hz for its 3,840 x 2,400 touch display.

All three versions have adaptive sync, stylus support and can be had with up to 16GB LPDDR5 RAM. However, the base and mid-spec models feature 512GB of NVMe storage, which goes up to 1TB in the top-spec version.

Despite its gaming premise, Asus has also made the Flow Z13 productivity-friendly, with a 16:10 display and plenty of connectivity options, including Thunderbolt 4 and microSD support across all models.

There’s also a dedicated slot to connect external GPUs via Asus’ proprietary ROG XG mobile interface. This feature probably does more than others in justifying the Flow Z13’s ROG branding and aesthetic, while the fairly lightweight 1.1 kg / 2.42 lbs shell with an anti-fingerprint coating, 12mm thin profile, detachable keyboard and 170° kickstand greatly add to its portability.

Asus notes “All day power” for this 2-in-1’s 56WHr battery, though, it’ll likely chew through that in a couple of hours during an intense gaming session. Better to have it plugged in for maximum performance via the 100W Type-C adapter that will also juice the tablet up to 50 percent in 30 minutes. Expect the ROG Flow Z13 to cost a premium when it arrives later this year.

Permalink to story.

The CPU is strong.
The Storage (1TB) is acceptable, although I'd love to see 2TB as standard.
The memory (16GB) is solid.

Some people, however are going to argue about the 3050Ti because it's a 4GB VRAM bottleneck. Most would prefer that then 3060 with 6GB is really where they'd want to be for future proofing and stability in modern games.

I have an Asus Tuf A15 with a 3050Ti on a 15" display and it works well enough since I don't run complicated games on it.

I am currently working with my cousin to get a nice $999 laptop with a 3060 in it. The CPU, the RAM and the Storage are mostly similar to this tablet, but that 3060 makes all the difference.

Back