Asus P4S800 and geforce 4 mx440-8x 128mb ddr

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, i need some help. i have a a asus p4s800 and i try to use a gforce 4 mx 440 8X 128mb on it, but it doesnt work. the mother board just beeps 2 times and no display comes up. i use an older gforce 2 mmx 64mb and that works fine. it should be compatiable shouldnt it? but it doesnt work.
also, i know that the gforce works for a fact because i have tried it with another system.
thank you..

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Here`s what you should do. Make sure you have your old card in the pc then go into device manager(i`m assuming your os is xp) click on the +sign next to display adaptors right click on your card and select uninstall once the uninstall is complete restart your pc.

Once your pc has restarted you will be prompted to install the drivers again just cancel this.

Now shut down your pc take out the old card and insert the new one start your pc and you should be prompted to install the drivers for you new card you can cancel this if you wish and just use the installation disk that came with the new card.

once your done restart your pc and go into bios set the AGP Aperture size to 128.

Hope this helps Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hello, thank you for your reply. i have tried this but it still cannot show any display as soon as i turn on the pc. isorry for my mistake earliar it beeps 4 times instead of 2. i have set all the bios settings hopefully correctly.. like 128mb, agp vga, by using my old graphics card gforce 2 mx 400. i cant set any settings in bios with the gforce 4 because i cant see anything.

What bios are you running?

The reason I ask is because different bios`s have different beep codes.

Also are the four beeps you are hearing all the same length or is it more like one long and three short beeps?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

According to the Award beep code list that means you have a keyboard problem.

Try swapping keyboards.

nope, the keyuboard is not the problem, tried it.. i also experiemented without a graphics card and the same beep comes up. so, it doesnt recongise it?. im sure it is compatiable. on the box.. it says system requirements. p2 or any amd compatable motherboard. this shud be minium requirement right?

Sorry I was looking at the wrong list.

Yours it would appear is an amibios and the code for one long and three short beeps is Base/extended memory failure.

Download memtest86+ from www.memtest.org you can either download the floppy version or there is an iso version for you to put on cd.

Boot from the floppy or cd and let the test run for at least seven passes see if you get any errors.

Regards Howard

Can I suggest that you try clearing your cmos.

First go into bios and make a note or print
the settings as you may need to reset them later.

You can do this by removing the cmos battery for a few seconds and then reinserting it.

Make sure that you only hold the battery by it`s edges not top and bottom cause this will discharge it.

You can also clear cmos by using the cmos jumper on your mobo your mobo book should tell you how to do this.

Once you have cleared cmos restart your system and see what happens.

Somewhere there is a compatability issue here and I don`t know what it could be.

I know you said that you`d tried the card in another system and it worked but that does not mean that it will work in yours.

Can you try another 128mb card preferably a different model and see what happens.

If not then take the card back and get something else of a similar spec and try that.

Sorry I couldn`t come up with anything more.

Regards Howard :confused: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back