ATI Radeon 9550 gaming problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RineEater

I have a (Diamond Stealths120) ATI Radeon 9550 256MB AGP version. I have had it over a year, and it worked after i got it. I could play Halo with the 9550 and not my older 8500. But for some reason i cant figure out, the 9550 doesn't work anymore. I have everything installed i need, new drivers too that my brother downloaded. But when i get into a game, say call of duty or brothers in arms demo, it just freezes, then the screen goes blank. Help please

What does dxdiag say?

Just in case you don't know how to run it - Click start- run, type dxdiag and press enter. Click on display and run the tests.

Does your Radeon have a fan on it?

If it doesn´t, clean its heatsink and remove any dust that could be there.

Ok, first, the video card does have a fan and it does work. I used dxdiag and tested for the DirectDraw and Direct3D. All tests for both work successful. DirectDraw Acceleration, direct3d acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration are all enabled. So none of that is the problem. All that stuff was in the Direct X Features section. Here is what is in the Device section:

Name: Diamond S120 256MB DDR Radeon 9550.
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI Radeon 9550 AGP(0x4153)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 256.0MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768(32 bit) (60 Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Here is what it says in the Drivers section:

Main Driver:ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6599 (English)
Date: 1/24/2006
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: 9(or higher)

By the way, thank you both for replying; i'm still waiting for my MOHPA post to be replyed to, and that was posted two days earlier.

Reply2u

Asus A7V266-MX is my motherboard if u can make anything out of that.
By the way, i just recently tried getting a bunch of updates and stuff for the card from ati.com and i dont think it helped because it just crashed on me. :( I don't have any clue so i am going to switch back to my 8500 so i can play some games. :)

I think I've found your problem. From what i can make out i believe that your mobo (motherboard) is an agp x4 whereas your radeon 9550 is agp x8. On the box for the graphics card it will say agp speed x4/x8. This does not mean its x4 compatible.

This http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html will explain it far better than i can.

???

Ok, i wounldn't mind that being the problem just so i can know what is wrong, but the video card did work for a couple months before crapping out. I just checked my agp slot ( with puter on) and i like it does support the 1.5v I won't be able to tell after i shutdown and check. But i think if there is a way to do something about the speed "a motherboard that supports 1.5V (AGP 4x) video cards should work ok with a .8V video card (AGP 8x), however in the later example the video card would only work at the fastest speed the motherboard supports (AGP 4x)."

I'm pretty sure that is your problem, i have encountered it before. You quite simply have the wrong graphics card for your mobo. It states in that link that it should work, in my experience, it doesnt work well. Ive come across 2 x4 mobo's that both damaged the x8 cards that had been fitted, i fixed both by putting x4 cards in them.

You say it did work ok but you didn't have the games you mentioned then. They are fairly new games that will over tax your x4 slot and really require a x8 slot.

A x8 mobo would be your most satisfactory fix.

Thank You

Thank you so very much for helping out with this. I had never upgraded video cards before and i think when i was getting the 9550 i heard something about the 2x and other stuff and i didn't really know anything about it. All i knew was that i had an AGP slot and so i got AGP. TY

x8 cards usually work at the lower speed when put into an x4 slot rik, so I don't think that would be the problem. My friend has a Shuttle mobo supporting only AGP x4 and his video card is a 256 MB 9800PRO AGP x8. And it works fine on most new games, including Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Its probably the card overheating in my opinion, because it was working before and now it isn't.

It must me more than coincidence that 2 different x4 mobos worked perfectly well when they were fitted with x4 cards.

Also, i used to have an MSI 745 Ultra mobo that was x4 and wouldn't work properly with a x8 card. Some old games still worked on it but a lot of the newer ones of the time didn't.

Rephrasing it, most x8 cards are labelled x4/x8 which states they will work at x4 as well as x8. Thats why I'm saying this.

I have just done a lot more research. An agp x4/x8 will work in an agp x2/x4 slot but not properly.
Agp x4 (1.07Gbps) (16 bytes per clock cycle) does not have the bandwith to allow full functionality of an agp x8 (2.1Gbps) (32 bytes per clock cycle) card.
In essence, its false economy as its impossible to reap any rewards over and above a x4 card.

Problem

The problem is on the 9550 box i have it says it is just AGP 8x. ??? You guys are the smarter ones here.

I think your 9550 is x8 only, i googled it and could find no mention of agp x4 compatibility. Also, if you have a look at the edge connector of the card (that goes into the agp slot) there is only 1 notch in it that means it a 0.8volt card. Cards that support agp x4 generally have a second notch in them to denote 1.5volt support.

Your mobo may or may not support 0.8volt, personally, i wouldn't take the risk. An agp x8 mobo is by far your best fix as it would allow the 9550 to run the way its been designed to do.

There are a lot of very good and very cheap agp x8 mobo's out there.

Thank you

I never thought a mobo would be so cheap. Thing is, if i take out my other one, i still have my same memory, i still have the games and stuff right? I have a multiplayer ccharacter i think i would lose if i have to uninstall the game. Thanks though for the site with the mobo.

What game exactly are u talking about? A new mobo would require u to re-install Windows XP, coz it can't handle mobo upgrades very well. Post the game and maybe someone here will find a way to save ur character.
And regarding ur memory and all, yes ur hardware will be exactly the same, only the mobo will have changed and ur 9550 will be able to perform better. And it was a pleasure to help. No problem at all. :D

Game

It's freelancer- the game i was talking about. so i should post this freelancer problem under gaming or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back