ATI x800 xt problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

The other day, I decided to update my drivers. So, I accidentally installed the new set of Catalyst drivers (7.1) without uninstalling the old ones. Then, I realized what I had done so I tried to do an uninstall (with driver cleaner). However, when I went to boot in safe mode, the computer hanged at 440agp.sys. So, I plugged in my internet, went online, and looked up this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

After I did that, when I tried to boot in safe mode, it hung at mup.sys. So, I also tried disabling that but then when I tried to access the safe boot menu at start-up by pressing F8, it would just ask me for the operating system and it wouldn't give me an option to boot in safe mode. So, I just decided to go ahead with the uninstall in normal bootup. I uninstalled, ran driver cleaner (and cab cleaner), rebooted, and installed the 7.1 display driver only. Everything was fine until I restart the computer and after Windows started up, I got the BSOD. So I restarted again and now I am here. The computer is running fine but it is running on the old display adapters as when I click on device manager, there is an exclamation mark by RADEON x800xt PLATINUM EDITION. And below that, there is another line that says: RADEON x800xt PLATINUM EDITION SECONDARY.

I have been using this card in this system for 2 years without any problems. I am running a Dell 4600 with 1GB of RAM, 2 HDS, 2 opticals, Audigy 2 Platinum, and many USB devices all on a stock PSU.

Oh, and when I uninstalled, there were a few items that I couldn't uninstall from the add/remove menu...so I followed ATI's guide to uninstalling manually in addition to running driver cleaner pro. However, there are still a few items that are still listed in the add/remove menu which I couldn't remove. I don't know if this could have affected the installation of the new drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back