Best AGP 8X Card under $200.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybody

I have put together a new Socket A machine for my son, but he tells me the onboard graphics are just not getting it. The motherboard has an 8X AGP slot and I want to add a graphics card. I have narrowed down my choices to a Radeon X800GTO or a Nvidia 6600 GT. A Nvidia 6800 is also a possibility. The X800GTO looks like a good choice, but is rather long and I am not sure it will fit in my mATX case. I like the idea of the 256 bit memory interface. Here are the parts used so far in this box. ASRock K7S41GX mainboard with Athlon XP+ 2800 Barton (333FSB,512L2Cache), 2 1GB sticks of Gigaram DDR 333 RAM, InWinn Micro ATX case with 350W PS, 1 NEC floppy, 1 BenQ DVD burner, 1 LiteOn DVDRom and BenQ 19 in. 8ms LCD, and Windows XP-Pro SP2.
I know this is old technology, but they are all new parts, I Just want to get some opinions on the best Vido Card for under $200.00 for this machine. Maybe it will satisify him till I can build a better machine next year. He plays WOW and has recently bought some newer games that won't run on the intergrated graphics.

vegasgmc said:
Look on Ebay for a 6800 GT or Ultra, they have 16 pipes. The GS is good but only has 12 pipes.
He said it's an agp slot so your stuck with the GS. It's the agp 8x why the card only has 12 pipes while the gt/ultra got 16 pipes? Not cool. Anyway the GS clocks well and it does run the best games out their with close if not all max settings

I would see if I could get a Pci-e Motherboard and and Pci-e graphic card. You will get more bang for you're buck and a bit more future proof.

So if you buy a socket A motherboard with Pci-e and also get a Pci-e Graphic card you can get more performance and also be more future proof, as if you were to get a just an AGP card.

Case closed

Thanks for your imput. I guess we don't have any ATI fans out there. Well I decided and have ordered a Radeon X800GTO. I hope it works out.

Well nice choice then. U can unlock the 4 remaining pipelines on the GTO if u flash the card's BIOS to that of an X850XT I think. I'm not too sure about which BIOS to flash it too but I know its possible and will make the card run like a beast.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Well nice choice then. U can unlock the 4 remaining pipelines on the GTO if u flash the card's BIOS to that of an X850XT I think. I'm not too sure about which BIOS to flash it too but I know its possible and will make the card run like a beast.

It is alot easyier then you think.

I have my Moible ati x600 flashed to a standered x600.

CrossFire851 said:
It is alot easyier then you think.

I have my Moible ati x600 flashed to a standered x600.

How did you do that?? Got any links/guides? :)

EDIT: OKOK, ignore me I just googled it :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back