Bootup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

problemsandmore

Ok, I have a problem and I am not sure what it is. My specs are:

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 30SB041000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

CORSAIR 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered System Memory Model

Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

MSI 915GM-FR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

ASPIRE X-QPACK-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case ATX 420W power supply

Now that I have that out of the way, my problems. When I first received my parts, I heard loud and eternally continuous long beeps coming from the mobo. I researched and found that most people thought it was the RAM. so, then I sent back my ram thinking it was defective. When I got my new module today the beeps continued. So, I troubleshooted and experimented and finally got the beeps to discontinue by switching something in the back of the Power supply. So then I started up my comp optimistically and found that I couldnt get a screen. no screen on bootup. It looks as though it is hibernating. I fidgeted and tweaked and took out the mobo and the bios battery and switched monitors, HDDs, took out the processor, took out all unnecessary components, did all that I could think of and none of it worked. so I guess, before I send another component back to my trusted source of hardware (Newegg.com), I would like advice from anyone that knows anything about my predicament. It would be very helpful and very nice to get it up and running and to get off my moms comp :stickout:.

I just had a look at your motherboard manual. For memory it says:

Main Memory
• Supports 2 unbuffered DIMM of 2.5 Volt DDR SDRAM without ECC
• Supports up to 2GB memory size
• Supports only X8, X16 DDR devices with 2-bank
• Support Dual Channel DDR 400/333MHz

Key words I noticed are "without ECC", and the ram you are sticking in there is ECC registered. Now, I won't pretend to know whether or not this is your problem, but it could be.

Let's see if anyone with a bigger brain than I can answer this for you.

memory that is ecc will not work on a board that does not support ecc memory capabilities.

And there you have it. :haha:

Next question is... what switch did you flick at the back of your PSU? The input voltage? Yikes....

thanx

thank you. Big help. ALthough some of what you last said scared me a bit. You have to understand I am only 16 and havent been into comps for too long so what could be result of pressing the switch on my PSU? ALso, now I have to figure out a way to send my ram back in and get a new dimm... :blackeye: But thanx though I wouldnt have even considered that as a Problem... I guess good things come to those who still read...

I am not sure what switch you pressed. Usually there are only two. One that turns the power on/off, and another that allows you to adjust the voltage.

DIY-PSU5.jpg

For N. America, you should set it to the 110/115 setting.

Sorry if I scared you. Truth be told, I am not sure how dangerous it is to change this setting (or if it is dangerous at all). I just like using the word Yeesh. :haha:

But if the only switched you messed with was the power switch (the one with the "o" and "1" above), then you didn't do anything dangerous at all. Of that I am sure.

thanx

thanx, you saved me another $35 for another psu. :grinthumb. I can save that for the horrendous shipping costs all of this has cost me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back