British Queen joins Facebook, but you can't poke her

Emil

Staff

Britain's Queen Elizabeth has joined Facebook, according to the The Guardian. Her majesty has thus added her presence to the world's most popular social network. Britain's royal family prides itself on keeping up to date with new technologies, but somehow we think only joining Facebook now means it isn't exactly on top of things. That being said, the Royal Family already has accounts on YouTube (uploaded a video in 2008), Twitter (tweeted first in 2009), and Flickr (posted photographs this year).

The British monarchy's Facebook Page won't let you friend the Queen or poke her, but you can use it to get updates on royal news and diary events. It went live earlier today and has already been liked by some 100,000 users, meaning they will receive updates on the royal family's activities in their Facebook News Feed. Users will also be able to follow the Family's official engagements via the wall of an affiliated Page, dubbed the Court Circular.

The Page, a collaborative effort between Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, and the Royal Collection, features news, links, videos, and photographs of various members (primarily Queen Elizabeth, as well as princes Charles, William, and Harry). Personal details such as relationship status, interests, or political views are not included.

So, will you like the British Monarchy on Facebook?

Permalink to story.

"Mugatu is so hot right now he could take a crap, wrap it in tinfoil, put a couple fish hooks on it and sell it to Queen Elizabeth as earrings."

I thought George Bush Jr. was hip for owning an iPad and actually using it to navigate websites but this? This is like trend setting hip. Yuppies should follow the British Monarch like they're giving out Yager Bombs at a swank bar.

It's about time. I'm sure the Royal Family is very rich, took someone this long to buy the Queen a laptop =P

if you cant be her friend or poke but just follow her updates then she should just stay on twitter

I am not sure this is good news or not; What I mean is the original post stated that

"meaning they will receive updates on the royal family's activities in their Facebook News Feed"

Aren't the royal family's activities (should be) private to hide in order to protect themself ?

The real question is if the Queen is actually behind the wheel of the account, or if it's just marketing agents controlling things.

In other news, the Queen sneezed. Five servants handed her a tissue, and one threw it away.

Seriously...this is not news. I would say that I don't care, but by the fact that I am posting shows that I have a care of some sort. So as to keep from sounding like a hypocrit, I care very little about this.

Now, if she got a pre release copy of COD Black Ops, and started pwning some noobs...then we would have a story.

Having a Facebook account is about as exciting as ...well having a facebook account.

Queen update, "I installed Empire: total war, set the difficulty to easy, selected Great Britain, and took over the world.. and had some tea."

What was the whole point of this again. You can't touch her(virtually that is.) Sounds like some mini marketing ploy to keep retard americans on facebook.

supersmashbrada said:
What was the whole point of this again. You can't touch her(virtually that is.) Sounds like some mini marketing ploy to keep retard americans on facebook.

Plenty of us in the Commonwealth are interested in what the royals do, especially for countries like mine, where they're our heads of state. Barack Obama and Nicolas Sarkozy have facebook pages, why not the Queen?

DokkRokken said:
Plenty of us in the Commonwealth are interested in what the royals do, especially for countries like mine, where they're our heads of state. Barack Obama and Nicolas Sarkozy have facebook pages, why not the Queen?

Seriously? I mean, seriously? What good will you get? Gonna post on her pictures? Like her comments? See what country she's walking on with a dialysis?

Don't get me wrong, I live in the U.K - and to me. All these presidential pages are absolutely bullshit, ofcourse they'll post some speech that's been equipped with high vocabulary and emotion. But they ain't gonna say 'we're invading another country, stfu and pay taxes'.

Dokk I see your point, but although I voted for Obama doesn't meant I follow him on fb. I'm more worried about America trying to police the world more so than wth Obama had for dinner. I had this conversation with a friend of mine and I thought it lead to a sad conclusion. Lots of Euro's will lead on to this, and all the subsiderary(no spell check) countries beneath those will pay close attention. The number of Americans following Obama would be much lower I think, given an equal time frame.

A friend of mine and college buddy of 4 years said to me on msn "can't be the queen so lets follow her." Really made me think of one of the only reasons I like democracy over monarchy. At least I have a chance at the position. Maybe this is why we love super heroes so much. They're so far off from what we could be.

M1r said:
Seriously? I mean, seriously? What good will you get? Gonna post on her pictures? Like her comments? See what country she's walking on with a dialysis?

Sure why not. People enjoy reading about it, so why not give it to them? I particularly don't, but why is it that someone like Tila Tequila is able to have a social media page (even making an entire career out of it), but a Head of State like the Queen gets they decide to get in on the craze?

M1r said:
Don't get me wrong, I live in the U.K - and to me. All these presidential pages are absolutely bullshit, ofcourse they'll post some speech that's been equipped with high vocabulary and emotion. But they ain't gonna say 'we're invading another country, stfu and pay taxes'.

I guess if you live in UK, you probably hear tons about what the Royal Family do, to the point of total saturation. But here in Canada, coverage is not as prevalent, so this Facebook page is great for anyone my way who wants to follow those people. Probably beats actually paying money for that lousy 'Hello' magazine anyways.

I'm not arguing that the pages aren't bullshit. But why the big deal? So the Queen has a Facebook page, big deal, so do people's dogs. Anyone expecting any substance from these pages whatsoever isn't terribly smart, because they're merely a PR exercise, although I'm sure inflections of policy or thought do appear from time to time.

Britains Queen Elizabeth II has joined Facebook, launching a series of official pages offering the website’s 500 million users daily updates on her engagements.
"God save the Queen". LOL

Back