BSOD everytime I get to my desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaceyLee

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I'm new to fixing my laptop lol.
I'd like to ask for some help with BSOD, I will try explain as best as I can what is happening.
Alright so, whenever I log into my windows vista laptop, the desktop will appear for about a minute or so then BSOD will appear. I have downloaded Bluescreenviewer and viewed the dumpfiles.
I will attach them below. Also thank you in advance for help.

Attachments

• Dumpfiles.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 3
0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

The problem is it only lists a Windows OS driver as the cause and OS drivers are too general to be of much diagnostic use.

Ok thanks, do you have any idea on solving this problem? If not I will leave it in to be fixed professionally. Again thanks. :)

If you can...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Also, do you have access to another computer or laptop?

I've attached the files below, if I've done it correctly I'm not sure.
I do not have another laptop/computer in the house but I'm sure I could get access from another family member/friend. If that's alright?

Attachments

• Mini061910-01.dmp
    135.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini061910-02.dmp
    135.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini061910-03.dmp
  • Mini061910-04.dmp
All four errors the same 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Three of the four cite the Windows OS driver tcpip.sys is unable to load due to another OS driver NETIO.sys is preventing it from doing so and thus is the cause of your system crashes. The remaining dump file cites tcpip.sys as the cause.

Now normally Windows OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help but in your case this may be an exception because both drivers have to do with networking/internet.

Therefore, go to your laptop's manufacture's website and find your exact model and update your network/ethernet/wireless/NIC drivers.

There is the possibility your wireless card is faulty but go first with updating the drivers.

Okay I've updated some of the drivers, others wouldn't install due to being in safemode.
I tried to load my laptop without safemode but it still failed to stay on, hmm.

Let's approach this from a different angle and test your memory with the free and safe Memtest 86+.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1
- Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

I went to the website and tried to download but it tells me I have to download it on a disk? or floppy. I was going to go ahead with the disk but I cannot format it in safe mode. Will it still work if I use a usb stick? thanks

EDIT: nevermind I've got it on the disk now, also will I have to take my laptop appart to test each ram?

As for the RAM, no, at least not in the beginning unless you do get errors and then you'll need to run it per stick. If you do need to access your RAM there is a panel on the bottom with a screw that will allow you to access easily. Make sure you consult your manual to know which panel to look under.

When you downloaded the ISO file and double clicked it did it burn it to a CD? Make sure you have it burned.

Also, you may need to go into your BIOS and set your CD/DVD drive as first bootable.

Do you know how to access your BIOS? When it boots up either begin pressing the delete key or in some cases the escape key. There will be a list for the bootable order of your drives. Most likely the harddrive is first bootable and the DVD drive second. Switch them around.

Okay I just realised this will take some time, so I will run it tonight and check it out in the morning.
Someone told me that reinstalling the OS could fix the problem? and they told me that if i ran msconfig and ticked what I wanted to run then I wouldn't get blue screen.

I wasn't too sure about this so I didn't do either of them, but just out of curiosity would these solve the problem? thanks.

Well if it is a software/driver/infection issue, yes, reformatting will work. But if it is a hardware issue no amount of reformatting is going to help.

As for ms config; again, yes, if the issue lies within start-up software/drivers that could help, but one really needs to know what one is doing.

And, yes, memtest takes a long time. :D

Okay, I'm just wondering because the person said that if it was a hardware issue my laptop wouldn't be able to run or something like that, Not too sure what he said to be honest. But if I were to reformat how can I be sure I don't install the problem again? like if it was a virus in a file. How do I know where it came from? If you understand what I mean.

Unless your DVD drive is damaged Memtest willl run because it engages on the DVD drive first. Plus it engages right after boot-up long before the Windows load screen.

All that we are trying to do right now is to determine if your memory is an issue or not an issue.

Ok I did the memtest.

Walltime = 13:55
Cached= 4086
Rsvdmem = 266
Memmap e820-std
cache = on
Ecc = off
Test = std
Pass = 14
Error = 0
Ecc errs = (there was nothing here)

No errors which means your memory is good.

Have you run an antivirus scan? You can do so in Safe Mode.

If I am remembering correctly there is no way for you to boot to normal and that you are running XP, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back