BSOD help please

AusLoveBug

Hi there,

I seem to be getting a number of different BSOD in the past 24 hours. I've had a kernel error, irq not lesser or equal, something else I can't remember & the latest I got the codes for. I am running Win 7 on a hp dv5 (Sorry I am not sure what info you require as i have never posted about a BSOD before). This is what it gave me:

BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 00000081
BCP3: 8B113C3C
BCP4: 8B113820
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Could anyone be of help? TIA.

First, run through this guide to check for faulty drivers.

I see you have no service pack installed, check that your Windows Update is turned on and your system is fully updated. You should now be on SP1.

Have you recently installed any new software or hardware, driver updates, etc.

For windows XP - Click on Start and then Run. Type verifier into the box and hit the Enter key.
For Vista and Windows 7 - Click on Start and type verifier into the search box then click on verifier in the list that pops up.

Driver Verifier Manager will open.

Select the first choice "Create Standard Settings" and click on the "Next" button.

Now select "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer" and click on the "Finish" button.

A box will appear asking you to restart the PC for the changes to take effect. Click on "OK" and reboot the PC.

If the PC reboots normally then there is no problem with any of the drivers. If you get a blue screen straight away it will name the faulty driver. If you are absolutley certain that the named driver is OK then make a note of it.

You will then have to go back into the Verifier and instead of selecting all drivers select "Select drivers from a list". Click on "Next" and the list of drivers will appear. Select them all apart from the one you know to be OK. Click on "Finish" and reboot.

Once you have identified the faulty driver or confirmed that there are none go back to the first page of the Driver Verifier Manager and select "Delete Existing Settings" and click on "Finish"

Thanks for the info. I did as you suggested & now am getting BSOD every boot..so you must be onto something. The issue I'm having now is that the BSOD goes so fast, I can't catch where the fault lies. Will a restart in safe mode allow me to get back to desktop? having to write from my phone now..lol.

Ok, ignore that last question, am back in safe mode. Will change those driver verify settings again in the hope i can get back in normally to try & determine where my problem lies.

I also forgot to say, I am ALWAYS installing games & things..can't recall installing any new drivers before this began.

OK, leave driver verifier running and follow this so you can see the error message.

Click Start, select 'Control Panel' select 'System' in the left pane select 'Advanced System Settings' in the box select the 'Advanced' tab then under 'Startup and Recovery' select 'Settings.' In the box under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically Restart'. Make sure 'Write an event to System Log' is checked.

Thanks again for helping. It's actually stopped doing it?? Weird. I only got as far as I mentioned as I had to go out, have been waiting for it to happen again but it hasn't. If it happens again, I'll try that next step & post again.

Strange things do happen but there is usually a reason, post the last five minidumps following this guide and I may be able to identify the cause.

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the minidump files you wish to attach on your PC and doubleclick on it. Normally found in C:\Windows\minidump

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

Ok, done. :)

Attachments

• 030711-53898-01.dmp
    139.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 030811-52899-01.dmp
  • 030811-54319-01.dmp
    139.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 030811-54647-01.dmp
    135.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 030811-57408-01.dmp
I had a look through those minidumps and could not find any common problem.

However, I see you recently installed Avast anti virus on 23rd February, one of its components is mentioned in just one of the minidumps and the other error codes could (amongst other causes) indicate a problem with anti virus software.

What other (if any) anti virus software or third party firewalls do you have and/or what did you use before Avast.

I've always used avast, but I updated to a newer version. Is it possible it caused a few conflicts while it was settling in? No other anti-virus or firewall. Been a couple days with no BS now, so I think it resolved itself.

I've not known of Avast causing many problems except when mixed with other AV's. Anyway, looks like the problem has gone. Post back if there are any more crashes.

Howdy, I'm back again with random BSOD today. Last one being Page fault in a nonpage area. That's new to me..lol. Afterward I was getting an error message when logging back in that my system profile couldn't be accessed & it took several restarts to get back on normally. Starting to wonder, could this be RAM on it's way out? I've had faulty RAM do weird things in the past. I've had my laptop for about 3 years now with no hardware issues yet. I'll add the last few dumps again. TIA.

Attachments

• 032011-45489-01.dmp
  • 032011-53898-01.dmp
Welcome back, one of these minidumps names an Avast driver but the other one points at memory or faulty PCI card (if you have one). So, nothing apart from Avast, that is specific.

Please run Driver Verifier again and send in the minidumps it produces.

Follow this link to fix the problem with your profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Run through this guide to test your memory.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. (On laptops ALWAYS remove the battery before removing or replacing memory modules). Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time and run for at least 24 hours. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 5 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

That should keep you busy for a while.

If these tests come up with nothing then I would run full system scans with these two free antivirus programs, make sure you update them before scanning and that you only select to download the free versions.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Thanks again Mark. What I may do for now is just get rid of Avast, as that is a couple of times its name has appeared in the dumps & switch over to one of those antivirus. It makes a lot of sense for it to be Avast as all this began when I updated Avast to a newer edition.I would think if it were RAM or anything, it would be a little more consistent & happen more often, not wait a week. I've used Memtest before & am pretty ok with techy type stuff..just clueless about BSOD or software drama stuff..lol.

Using Avira now so all there is to do, is wait & see if the craziness is cured. Will report back if BSOD continues or the cure really was that trivial. Having used Avast for the past 7-8 years or so on all my computers, or any other computers I have repaired for friends... it hasn't let me down too many times. Though when it has, it was generally a big let down with a full format required. But if conflicts in the newer version were the reasoning for my laptop to have random fits as it has, it would be the last straw for using them again in future.

Hey hey,

Just checking back as I said I would, with the good news that it so far appears the problem was indeed the updated version of Avast. My laptop has not crashed as yet since switching to Avira, so a big thanks for the recommendations:approve:. Having never had software conflicts with Avast previously, even as obvious as it was after it was pointed out, I don't think I would've put the two together..lol. Time to put the Avast down & step away. I can't pinpoint why, but my laptop also seems a touch 'smoother' & doesn't give me any signs to be concerned that a BSOD is in the post. Hopefully it stays that way! Thanks again for your help.

Back