Build a non-Gaming PC

BobD1940

I'm looking to build a PC that runs fast so it will not hang up when watching Ytube videos. I also use it for web browsing, Viewing Multipled Docunments, and spreadsheets,
I do not use Wifi. Not intrested in gaming or overclocking.
I have 3 Monitors with VGA or DIV connectors, I have Logitech corded Keyboards and mouse.
I have a new AERO-100 Full Tower Windows 10 Pro disc and 1 ea 480GB SSD, 240GB 2.5" SSD's & a 500GB HD, and 2 DVD drives That I sometimes use to make backup DVD's.
Looking to spend about $500 on the CPU, Motherboard, Video card; and Power Supply and 16GB Ram.
I am thinking about using a Core i3-10300

I'd recommend something like the following:

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a much better CPU than the i3-103000, and definitely won't give you an problems regarding performance in the tasks you've specified. The Gigabyte motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so you'll be able to add all of your storage and optical drives.

While the RAM isn't the fastest, it's more than enough for your needs (make sure you enable XMP in BIOS to fully utilise it), and the power supply is perfectly acceptable for the loads it will put under.

The graphics card was chosen purely on the basis that you need multiple monitors attached to it, so I went with the cheapest new option: a GeForce GT 710 (GT710-4H-SL-2GD5 version). These sport four HDMI outputs, but you can get HDMI-to-DVI cable or adapters:

Total cost, including 3 cables, will be around $450.

Thanks Neeyik
I also thought about using a i5-9600K what do you think of that
I would not rule out using the Ryzen 5 3600 though, I just did not think that I would use 3 monitions with that, but based on what you said it looks like I could thanks.
The Monitors are all 19" -If I have to get new monitors would 3 - 21" or two 27" be better?
I sometimes open 3 or 4 documents at a time, I realize that they would add to the cost of the build.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a much better CPU than the i3-103000...
True. So true, in fact that it's been having supply issues and major price hikes. At one point it was under $160; your partpicker link shows it available only for $279 from an Amazon seller. In a week or two, it'll hopefully be back in stock online.

If I have to get new monitors would 3 - 21" or two 27" be better?
All depends on your usage. I have dual 27s now; down from four smaller monitors a few years ago. The extra screen breaks can be a positive or a negative, depending on how you manage multiple open documents.

True. So true, in fact that it's been having supply issues and major price hikes. At one point it was under $160; your partpicker link shows it available only for $279 from an Amazon seller. In a week or two, it'll hopefully be back in stock online.
That is a thorny problem - Newegg has them in stock for $265, and they also have its predecessor, the Ryzen 5 2600X, in stock for $170. The Core i3-10300 is $175, so both are notably cheaper than the 3600.

The Ryzen 5 2600 is only $5 cheaper, so I'd definitely pick the 2600X, if my budget could run to a 3600X.

I would not rule out using the Ryzen 5 3600 though, I just did not think that I would use 3 monitions with that, but based on what you said it looks like I could thanks.
The likes of a Ryzen 5 2600X or 3600X don't have a graphics processor inside them, unlike the Core i3-10300, so a graphics card is absolutely required. However, this does mean that something cheap, like the GT 710, will provide you with plenty of monitor outputs - motherboards for the Core i3 tend to only have 1 or 2 outputs, at most.

Another option is a 3400g, a $150 cpu with reasonable performance, and one that will drive two monitors with its integrated gpu. Then buy any old $20 graphics card to drive the third one. Use the money saved to help upgrade your monitors. If they're 8+ years old as they sound, I think you'll be very impressed with the better contrast, saturation, and resolution of the new screens.

Last edited:
That is a thorny problem - Newegg has them in stock for $265, and they also have its predecessor, the Ryzen 5 2600X, in stock for $170. The Core i3-10300 is $175, so both are notably cheaper than the 3600.

The Ryzen 5 2600 is only $5 cheaper, so I'd definitely pick the 2600X, if my budget could run to a 3600X.

The likes of a Ryzen 5 2600X or 3600X don't have a graphics processor inside them, unlike the Core i3-10300, so a graphics card is absolutely required. However, this does mean that something cheap, like the GT 710, will provide you with plenty of monitor outputs - motherboards for the Core i3 tend to only have 1 or 2 outputs, at most.

Again Neeyik thanks for your input greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the information, My thing here is that the i5 9600K is a much better processor it is about $30 less at B&H Photo
I would need a compatible Motherboard With sockets to run 3 monitors like VGA DVI, and HDMI, or Display port mentioned, I realize that I would have to also buy a heat sink and fan. Maybe also a different power supply.
Your thoughts
Bob DeCarlo

The i5-9600K is a good CPU for gaming, but the Ryzen 5 3600 is far better in general productivity applications.

Without wishing to disparage the work of other websites, UserBenchmark has somewhat of a chequered reputation - mostly because the writer(s) are openly pro-Intel and anti-AMD, when it comes to CPU summaries.

But if you'd prefer to stick to an Intel setup, then something like this configuration would work for you:

Again neeyik, thanks for your insight it is very much appreciatedd.
I am not comfortable using DVI adapters to 3 monitors.
Also in further research I found a Intel Core i5 - 10400 for 169.99 it comes with a cooler and will support 3 monitors.
Shows that the Ryzen 3400 is superior for gaming, but for productivity there is no clear winner. Having no interest in gaming the difference of $60 could go to a new monitor.
I picked out these components to go with it.
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W 42.99
ASUS PRIME B460-PLUS LGA 1200 Intel B460 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard 1 98.09
Total 374.96
Leaving room for a21" monitor
Again Thank you all you mentioned was good education.
BobD1940

While the Core i5-10400 can handle 3 monitor outputs, it does so through the motherboard it's plugged into - in other words, the board has to have 3 video sockets too. That Asus Prime B460-Plus does have 3 but it's one each of a HDMI, DVI, and VGA. That means you'll need a HDMI-to-DVI adapter or cable for one of the monitors you have, unless you get a HDMI one to replace it.

We've directly tested the Core i5-10400 against the Ryzen 5 3600:

It's a perfectly decent CPU and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

While the Core i5-10400 can handle 3 monitor outputs, it does so through the motherboard it's plugged into - in other words, the board has to have 3 video sockets too. That Asus Prime B460-Plus does have 3 but it's one each of a HDMI, DVI, and VGA. That means you'll need a HDMI-to-DVI adapter or cable for one of the monitors you have, unless you get a HDMI one to replace it.

We've directly tested the Core i5-10400 against the Ryzen 5 3600:

It's a perfectly decent CPU and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Thanks again neeyik,
I did read that report.
I will order the barts and when I complete the build and use it I will let you know how it went.
Again thanks,
BobD1940

Back