Built a new PC but I can't get it to turn on

raytor64

Hello everyone, I need some assistance from someone here. I just built a new pc and it won't power up. I just bought a ATX case, a intel pentium 4 motherboard D915GAV with a 3.2 gig processor, 2 gigs of compatible memory. Everything is brand new except the power supply, I used an old one from another case. Now after putting everything together I notice that the led light turns on ,on the motherboard,so I take it that there is power going to the board. Now when I hit the power button to turn on the pc, nothing happens, the pc doesn't turn on, no fans , not even the one on the power supply comes on. I double checked to make sure the front panel was wired up correctly according to the diagram. The power switch,reset,and the led lights are all wired up correctly according to the diagram. The computer still does not turn on.I am thinking it might be the power supply but i am not sure because the led light goes on on the motherboard. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be coming from? . Oh by the way I forgot to mention that the case I bought did not come with a power supply, I used the one from the old case which is a Thermaltake TR2-430W. Is there a recommended power supply to power up an intel pentium 4 board running a 3.2 gig processor with 2 gigs of pc 400 ram? Any help will be greatly appreciated,maybe I overlooked something. Thank you

Just because an LED light comes on doesn't necessarily mean the PSU is okay. Did you use motherboard standoffs or did the motherboard tray come with dimples built in?

Just because an LED light comes on doesn't necessarily mean the PSU is okay. Did you use motherboard standoffs or did the motherboard tray come with dimples built in?

the left side and middle has the dimples the right side has 3 standoffs

If you list all your PC component specifications, it might help someone to diagnose the problem.

If you list all your PC component specifications, it might help someone to diagnose the problem.

case: XION AXP 100series
motherboard: Intel desktop D915GAVL
Processor: Intel 3.2 gig
Memory: DDR 400
Power Supply: Theraltake TR2-430W

Gateway laptop doesn't pick up harddrive

I'm having another problem with a Gateway 7330 laptop that was given to me. The laptop turns on but it did not have a hard drive or memory stick. I put a hard drive in it from a dell and it fits, I also put the memory stick in it from the Dell.The memory stick might not be compatible, but when I turn on the laptop it allows me to go to the bios settings. I set the time and date, but it does not pick up the hard drive and when it starts up again the bios settings goes back to 0, meaning I have to keep setting up the time and date. For some reason it does not remember the settings and it keeps erasing. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

(About that laptop; you'd might want to pop up a new thread for problems relating to the laptop specifically - it helps in avoiding a lot of confusion.)

Tell me (us), what protection did you use when you built the computer? Anti-static wristband, metallic workbench anything like that?

Because these symptoms sound awfully much like a classic motherboard short... which in theory could've damaged the motherboard... :(

I'm having another problem with a Gateway 7330 laptop that was given to me. The laptop turns on but it did not have a hard drive or memory stick. I put a hard drive in it from a dell and it fits, I also put the memory stick in it from the Dell.The memory stick might not be compatible, but when I turn on the laptop it allows me to go to the bios settings. I set the time and date, but it does not pick up the hard drive and when it starts up again the bios settings goes back to 0, meaning I have to keep setting up the time and date. For some reason it does not remember the settings and it keeps erasing. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

I'll keep in mind to separate my trends, and I did not built the laptop, it was given to me in that condition.

(About that laptop; you'd might want to pop up a new thread for problems relating to the laptop specifically - it helps in avoiding a lot of confusion.)

Tell me (us), what protection did you use when you built the computer? Anti-static wristband, metallic workbench anything like that?

Because these symptoms sound awfully much like a classic motherboard short... which in theory could've damaged the motherboard... :(

The laptop was given to me in that condition, I did not build it. I'll keep my threads seperate from now on, thanks

Reseat all your cables. Unplug all fans except CPU fan. If is still doesn't start up, then you PS is likely dead.

(Another thing you should check is make sure your HD has direct power. Do not plug a fan into the same power cable as your main HD; and make sure you plug the primary connector into the HD, not the pigtail that extends the plug.)

You can spend a few bucks on a power supply tester to test what you already suspect; that it's dead. Or you can replace the power supply with something comparable and a little newer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

EDIT: Come to think of it, that may be the exact power supply you pulled from that case.

Hello everyone, I need some assistance from someone here. I just built a new pc and it won't power up. I just bought a ATX case, a intel pentium 4 motherboard D915GAV with a 3.2 gig processor, 2 gigs of compatible memory. Everything is brand new except the power supply, I used an old one from another case. Now after putting everything together I notice that the led light turns on ,on the motherboard,so I take it that there is power going to the board. Now when I hit the power button to turn on the pc, nothing happens, the pc doesn't turn on, no fans , not even the one on the power supply comes on. I double checked to make sure the front panel was wired up correctly according to the diagram. The power switch,reset,and the led lights are all wired up correctly according to the diagram. The computer still does not turn on.I am thinking it might be the power supply but i am not sure because the led light goes on on the motherboard. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be coming from? . Oh by the way I forgot to mention that the case I bought did not come with a power supply, I used the one from the old case which is a Thermaltake TR2-430W. Is there a recommended power supply to power up an intel pentium 4 board running a 3.2 gig processor with 2 gigs of pc 400 ram? Any help will be greatly appreciated,maybe I overlooked something. Thank you
I just bought a brand new 700w psu and it still has the same problem, board led lights up but no fans come on and the computer does not turn on, everything is new, what can it be????

Sorry to say this so bluntly, but as you didn't answer my question, I'll just settle with assumptions from now on. If you didn't use adequate protection while building the PC, you probably shorted your motherboard via ESD. Your symptoms just sound to classic for it to be something else...

That would mean that the motherboard is beyond safe repair. If you're feeling lucky, you can try a process known as baking - but I'm warning you: the success rate is only about 50%, and I'm taking no responsibilities what so ever for any damage that may occur should you try it.

I've shorted multiple motherboards/sisterboards (some more expensive than others) via ESD in my fresh-PC building days at least a dozen times. It's always the same symptoms; matching your PC's symptoms to the last letter.

Thank you for your input and I hate to say it but I think your right. I just tried switching the processor and ram and I still get the same result. I need a new motherboard.

Back