Can't boot up computer, weird problem

merforga

Hi All,

First time poster. Hope you are doing well. I'm hoping to get some advice / opinion. I'm currently running a gaming computer and it has been fine for the last 6 months. However just the other day, I was playing a game and it suddenly switched off. I tried booting it up again but to no avail. Basically the symptoms as follows:

Computer will not power on at all (no fans, hdd, lights etc) at all no matter what combination of pressing front buttons, PIN combinations etc I try.

The weird part is this, whenever I switch my PSU on however, any device connected to a USB port automatically has power! Even though the computer won't boot up! So my optical mouse has a nice light shining from it when the PSU is on but the computer won't turn on.

I'm hoping it is the PSU (somehow) but would like an opinion if possible.

Look forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

The quickest way to determine if the PSU is faulty is to borrow one from another PC and try it out. In your case this does sound like the cause of your problem.

Thanks.

Have RMA'd the PSU. Unfortunately our other computers don't have a strong enough PSU to try so hoping this will solve the problem!

Hi all, I've replaced the PSU. It was working for a couple of days now it does the same thing...one thing to note, the computer was running EXTREMELY slow before it kaputted....so now i'm suspecting it may not be the PSU after all..

Any thoughts? =S

PS: I had a 750Watt PSU so I'm pretty confident it's not the PSU being too low end

Clearly a hardware fault somewhere. This could be a faulty on/off reset switch. Trace the wiring from the front panel and disconnect the connection to the motherboard, now see if you are still getting power to any USB connections.

When you push the on button (with it still connected) does anything else happen apart from seing the power light on USB devices, are any of the fans running, anything showing on the screen?

Nope nothing. I unplugged and replugged everything...and hoorah it all works again! I suspect its a loose wire somewhere. Will look more carefully now.

Back