China's new Loongson CPU is almost as fast as the first Ryzen

mongeese

Staff
Something to look forward to: The new Loongson 3A5000 is a quad-core processor clocked at around 2.3 - 2.5 GHz. It uses Loongson’s 64-bit GS464V microarchitecture, which features four ALUs (arithmetic logic units) and two 256-bit vector units per core, which is mostly marketing fluff without the necessary context. Loongson is marketing it for laptops, industrial environments, and even some server applications.

Chinese chipmaker Loongson announced a new processor on Friday. In terms of features, the Loongson 3A5000 comes equipped with two DDR4-3200 memory controllers and a dedicated encryption module. It also has four HyperTransport 3.0 SMP controllers that allow multiple 3A5000s to operate in unison inside a single system, like Intel’s Xeons and AMD’s Epycs.

But what makes the 3A5000 special isn’t specs: it’s the novel ISA (instruction set architecture) it uses, called LoongArch. It’s broadly similar to x86 and Arm, according to Loongson, but was built from the ground-up to avoid using foreign licenses.

LoongArch has almost 2,000 proprietary instructions and extensions for binary conversion, vector and advanced vector processing, and virtualization. Loongson is marketing it as MIPS64 compatible, and it can run the code written for Loongson’s previous MIPS64 processors, but LoongArch is theoretically quite distinct.

Loongson says that LoongArch is 10-20% more efficient than their previous ISA, and contributes to the 3A5000 being 50% faster than its predecessor, the 3A4000 (pictured above), while consuming 30% less power.

It’s difficult to compare the 3A5000 to US-designed processors on paper because of their architectural differences. Still, Loongson has said that the 3A5000 scores over 80 points in the SPEC CPU2006 test, which places it in the same performance category as early Ryzen CPUs and Intel’s 6th-gen Core CPUs.

If that’s not enough performance to impress you, wait for the 3C5000, a 16-core version of the 3A5000 due later this year. China’s semiconductor industry is approaching self-sufficiency very quickly, even if they’re still a ways off.

Image credit: Artiom Vallat

Permalink to story.

Curiously enough the latest iteration of the great wall of China after their firewall will probably be competing, incompatible architecture.

The Chinese are exceptionally smart people. East Asian average IQ is supposed to be 105. China produces far more STEM graduates than the West. China's population is 1.4 billion, easily surpassing the West (and the other East Asian nations). Chinese are extremely hard workers.

My prediction is that Chinese chip performance will match AMD, Intel and Apple within the next 5 years.

India is another engineering powerhouse. Like China, they have an enormous population and produce more STEM graduates than the West.

This is what Trump was talking about when he said Make America Great Again. The issue is not making the US into a faded 1950's paper super power that thinks it dominates the world. No, it's about surviving in an increasingly competitive world. We hardly make anything anymore. People need to wake up. And I don't mean 'woke'.

If the Chinese are so stupid, how come so many of the tech leaks come from Chinese sources?
Because they can't keep their mouths shut. By definition. And that's not linked with intelligence one way or another so is a weird point to make.

Why is almost everything you buy made in China, Taiwan, or Korea?
Because they pay their workers less than the rest of the world so can compete for labor with a very large supply. The western world at least gives lip service to a living wage and living standards even if the follow through is frequently lacking.

East Asians are absolutely crushing us.
...with sheer numbers of people. And how do they do that? By importing lots and lots of food because they can't grow enough food to feed those cheap workers. And the food comes from: western countries.

The Chinese are dependent on the western world and in a very basic way: for sustenance.

Last edited:
The Chinese are exceptionally smart people. East Asian average IQ is supposed to be 105. China produces far more STEM graduates than the West. China's population is 1.4 billion, easily surpassing the West (and the other East Asian nations). Chinese are extremely hard workers.

My prediction is that Chinese chip performance will match AMD, Intel and Apple within the next 5 years.

India is another engineering powerhouse. Like China, they have an enormous population and produce more STEM graduates than the West.

This is what Trump was talking about when he said Make America Great Again. The issue is not making the US into a faded 1950's paper super power that thinks it dominates the world. No, it's about surviving in an increasingly competitive world. We hardly make anything anymore. People need to wake up. And I don't mean 'woke'.
There is no stopping China, that's a fact. They copied everything under the sun from all the others to the point that now they know how to make them themselves and don't need to copy anymore (not more than any other country is spying others, US does it too). I'm not a fan of a lot of things they do there, but I also despise the woke and all the other brainwashing ideologies that are now common in the west.

China will only grow bigger and more powerful, while US and EU will implode and die from the inside, because of those said ideologies and policies/politics and the constant war between everything and anything inside them.

I wish I remembered the details, but I remember watching a video showing how far behind China is when it comes to CPU's advancements.

The conclusion was they are not a threat.
I'll try to find the video.

So many 'made in China' jokes that are now useless thanks to this modern American crush on the Chinese.

Easy to forget but I am knocking on in years and do remember.
Was a time when it was either made in Hong Kong or the pricier stuff in Japan.
Was still competitive though.

Then please feel free to disappear.
"But what makes the 3A5000 special isn’t specs: it’s the novel ISA (instruction set architecture) it uses, called LoongArch. It’s broadly similar to x86 and Arm, according to Loongson, but was built from the ground-up to avoid using foreign licenses."

That was.

No, that changes nothing. China made merchandise is still garbage. Why people ever started buying their crap is beyond me.
There was a time when the same thing was said about Japanese made stuff, too. For the most part, Japan shaped up. I wonder if China will also shape up at some point.

Thank Richard Nixon for "normalizing" US relations with China. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Nixon's_1972_visit_to_China

If I have my history straight, something like this happened with Japan and then Japan paid the US back in Pearl Harbor. I hope something similar does not happen with China. But it might be hard to put the Kraken back in its watery home.

I just think it would be neat to tinker with one of these.

I'd be all about alternative CPU brands if they're affordably priced and offer competitive performance at their price points.

It would be great to see this CPU competing with the likes of AMD and Intel. I could even buy one, why not.

Actually you are only half right. You may have interpreted what Trump said about survival in your own words but was not his agenda. He was about the 50s paper superpower. He basically wanted to bottle us up and cut everybody else off at the knees when it comes to technology. Ideally if he could completely cut off foreign imports, or make Imports ridiculously expensive for us, we then will achieve total independence from the rest of the world. On top of that if he could cut everyone else off at the knees with technology his thinking would be that all countries would completely depend on us for everything.
These are not my own words. He wanted to control technology like we control nuclear production. These are words from former Trump aides who regret being a part of his cult.

And as most of you have found out. Once trump started playing with fire with the trade war and banning Huawei, China decided to say screw the US we will make our own instead of us watching China to fall to pieces and beg us for forgiveness like Trump was hoping. Even if we completely drop all tariffs against China they still are continuing on their mission to drop their dependence on US technology. Trump set that train in motion and that's not going to stop anytime soon. China will eventually not need us for anything anymore.

Ideally if Trump was following what you have stated he would have seen that we seriously have a lack of engineering graduates and engineering programs available in many schools at the start of middle school and up. He would have worked with schools to create programs that allowed everyone of equal opportunity to get into engineering. He would also promote Engineering in the same fashion as we already promote people joining the military, with a handful of benefits because you are going to use that education to contribute to our country and help us to reinnovate.
He would also work with schools to help improving the way math and science are taught.
You think this is too extreme? Many developing and third world countries are using this method so that way they can have graduates wanting to become engineers and contributing to the growth of their country. I really can't say the same about this country. Currently engineering academies, programs, and colleges of many states are Out Of Reach for many hopeful students because the tuition is incredibly expensive, also if they barely made it through High School they will easily flunk out of these colleges.
Look at how our education in math, science, Electronics, software development, programming, in other technology areas compared with the rest of the world. I have to say as a first world country I'm ashamed and appalled in our educational ranking in those subjects.
If I'm wrong how come many of the software developers in our country are from India and China. I worked at many large companies like such and they do get paid way more than me so the excuse for cheap labor goes out the window. I've talked with many of the managers of these software developing teams and they express their frustration with the shortage of people who really know their stuff and trying to weed through all the bullshitters. Unfortunately a lot of the bullshitters happen to be mostly American and European. These managers also don't want to hire somebody and teach them how to do coding. They need someone who can hit the ground running and fast.

Without a handful of Engineers who are not immigrants from India or China our country would be screwed as there's no way we could keep up. The only thing we have is our military. Maybe it's time to elect a president who understands this deficit and is going to fix this without starting trade wars or banning imports regardless which edge of the political fence you sit on.

No, that changes nothing. China made merchandise is still garbage. Why people ever started buying their crap is beyond me.
Sounds like you have been living under the rock as a majority of our products in this country are from China. Chinese products has a mixed bag. They aim to be what Japan used to be in the eighties and then some

Back