Comp on, screen is not....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

First post here... hoep you guys can help. I have a computer which is turned on, but the screen is still in standby. Its in standby as if its NOT receiving a signal from the computer. Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

The screen works fine (I pull lead out of tower and the standard RGB thign comes up -- so screen works) but is not receiving a signal somehow. I checked the lead with that of 2 other monitors, and still they dont work, and they work fine on other machines.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Much Obliged.
Gamesguru

A couple of things to try 1st

You aren't plugging it into the Onboard VGA and not the Video card {Assuming that's your setup - some more details would help!}?

Does it display the POST screen when you 1st start up?

If so, hit F8 a few times immediatly after POST and start in safe mode. See what resolution it's set to - it may be unsupported by your monitor.

If no Display during POST, there's a good chance your Video Card has passed away...:(

No boot screen in any sense, just remains in standby.... I fear my ONBOARD graphics chiop may have burnt out. Pretty old board, but it actually came on for like 4 seconds -- the immediately turned back off, hasnt come on since.

And there is absolutely no card in the system.

Better hope it has an AGP slot - wouldn't be PCIe if it's a bit old.

Easiest way to check is to pull the Left - as you are facing it - Panel off and have a look. Generally there'll be a few PCI slots {usually White in colour} and the AGP slot above them.

Any specs on the machine - CPU / Motherboard ?

Yeah I have a good understanding of hardware and software -- been building these babies for as long as Ic an remember. 1 AGP 8X, 3 pci. So I'l try a video card.... thanks for your response.

Btw the motherboard in question was an ASROCK PVM800 *old old old* hehe.

Gamesguru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back