Computer: from lightning fast to creeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI :wave: ,
MY DAD IS GOING TO RESTORE OUR COMPUTER BACK TO IT'S FACTORY SETTINGS TO REGAIN SPEED, ERASING MONTHS AND MONTHS WORTH OF THE ENTIRE FAMILY'S FILES puke: ; THAT IS UNLESS YOU CAN HELP ME SPEED UP THE COMPUTER SOME OTHER WAY. IF NOT, I MIGHT HAVE TO DO JAIL TIME FOR THE MURDER MY FATHER :evil: .
I'VE PUT TO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT INTO MY DESKTOP TO HAVE EVERYTHING STRIPPED BARE :mad: .
PLEASE HELP ME!

defrag, delete unused files, back up family stuff into a CD (that you dont need to often look at or use)

defrag again
go into msconfig and uncheck any programs u dont want to have running at start up
u can google for more on 'msconfig'

disable any unused services

restart PC
degrag again

run antivirus
restart
defrag

run regcleaner
restart
defrag

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

First off before the restore back up everything, burn to cd or dvd, maybe even copy it to another hdd, just so you won't loose anything.

How long has this machine been running windows, it may well be the only way
to get back performance, but not the only way as I'm sure others will point out to you.
G'Luck

The first thing I would do (after doing the already suggested backups), is to go to sysinternals and download PageDefrag. Run the program to defrag your paging files and registry hives. Also make sure you defragment your drives as well with the defrag program in start/all programs/accessories/system tools. Run a program like CrapCleaner to delete all the built up log entries and other miscellaneous junk in your system.

If it still comes down to reinstalling, first try a repair install. That will reinstall the OS on top of the current install without data loss. Use method 2. If you do the repair install, this will wipe out all updates including SP2, so they will have to be reinstalled as well. Unless you have virus or serious malware issues which surely can slow down the system, a fresh install would be my option of last resort. Tell dad to read this. If he has any questions tell him to post them here and we'll help him get that sucker up and flying again!

luvhuffer said:
Tell dad to read this. If he has any questions tell him to post them here and we'll help him get that sucker up and flying again!

dont you just love techspot? I do and this is why im stil here today =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back