Computer powered, but no boot screen or video

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bounce: hey i recently purchaced a PCChips m8llu motherboard, and an AMD Duron Processor.
I replaced my old mobo and kept the same ps... the first time I booted the mobo, the boot screen came up and the bios setup was loading... then for no reason the computer just shuts off... the heatsink feels hot and the mobo also feels hot... is this overheating?
I powered everything up again after an hour, and no video... :mad: I just hope i didnt fry the mobo or cpu... I've tried many troubleshooting and the ps works fine... please help someone... thanx

Shutting down immediately is not a good sign.You either strip down to the bare minimum and try to get to BIOS /or take your parts in for testing.
Did you use Thermal paste? Heatsinks are always hot to touch so hard to say if you burnt it. until you can atleast swap out some parts/test.

were you properly grounded (i.e. use a static strap), Was the power supply adequete for your system? Did you use thermal paste and a good cooler for your CPU?

oops

:knock: um I used a pentium III powersupply and I didnt put thermal paste... I think it was the ram cause my mobo only supports ddr266 and I put in a ddr400... but then why did it turn on? I can still feel heat on the processor, so hopefully its not dead... :hotouch:

there's your problems!

#1. your power supply is probably underpowered. Use at least 450W or greater for newer systems.

#2. You didn't use thermal paste

#3. your memory is the wrong type

you very well could have done some damage.

Tedster
look at his specs!
An AMD Duron and other standard gear will run happily on a 300W or even 250W PSU.

hexcr...
Use thermal paste and the correct memory and you might be lucky. But a new Duron is cheap (if still available).

Alright, so get a new ps (mines 200), get better heatsink, and the right memory...
I think i can do that... I already ordered ddr266 ram...
But how do i make sure that my mobo/ cpu is not toast? idont have a case speaker so its gonna be difficult.
Thanks for helping. :)

hexcrackerjtj said:
Alright, so get a new ps (mines 200), get better heatsink, and the right memory...
I think i can do that... I already ordered ddr266 ram...
But how do i make sure that my mobo/ cpu is not toast? idont have a case speaker so its gonna be difficult.
Thanks for helping. :)

You don't neeed "a better Heatsink"
You need to install it correctly by using Thermal Paste (Between the Heatsink and the Processor)
You can test the Processor at the store , or wait till you get the parts and see if they all work at Boot.

thanks liquid, your support and the support of others means a lot to me.
I cant return the mobo or cpu because its over a month... :eek: I only pray that everything is ok. :angel: Still waiting to the ram to come...

Thanks everyone. :)

Praise the lord.

HAALLLELLUJAH!!!! :bounce: I got the ram I ordered and I put it in and presto!!! It works!... the only problem is my old hd now shows up as a "raw partition"... anyhoo im gonna reformat and reinstall windows and get my data back.
Thank you all who have helped me with this!!! You will be highly recommended!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back